SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ha. I was right about salt, too.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ha. I was right about salt, too. Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My appetite has always guided my food choices. In recent times, the NIH has come around to some of my views, finding that cholesterol in food has little relationship to blood cholesterol. And butter is again in favor. And this article suggests that my liking for salt is OK too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/hea...-says-scientist.html

The NIH still warns against red meat, but I eat it anyway. OTOH, it seems indisputable that more calories mean more weight gain.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Cholesterol has little to do with food and more on genetics and health. I recently lost a lot of weight to reduce diabetes risk and triglycerides. I did mostly high fat lower carb and avoided refined sugars. With the high fat diet I now have a total cholesterol of 150 with the good cholesterol being 66 and triglycerides at 70.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I wonder how this will turn out.

I prefer salt to sugar, and the article says that sugar is a problem. I can cut down on sugar.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I believe it ultimately comes down to genetics.

Just be active.

Eat what you want.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Long ago I did extensive research on 'eating behavior' to learn about my own diabetes & related dietary excesses.

One of the most informative information trails I followed, was some studies done in the late 90s. At this point I have forgotten the research group, but their comments have remained.

Their conclusion was the major difference between 'most' obese people and those of normal weight, is Not A Secret.

Disease/dysfunction aside, a major observation was that normal/skinny people STOP eating when they are no longer hungry.

Obese people as a group, don't. Often they consume 2 or 3 times the amount of any given food, regardless of hunger & satiety.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Let me clarify upon my own experience.

I now eat little sugars, mostly veggies and protein. I don't eat shit. I was brought up eating the fat on our store bought steaks. I still do.

Growing up I ate all the crap kids eat. McDonald's, etc...luckily, my parents afforded me all sorts of tastes....therefore, my diet is varied.

I work out a ton...triathlons, bodybuilding, cross fit....you name it.

On the other hand my dad, came off the boat from the Ukraine, smoked 3 packs a day starting at 13, worked his face off and eats shit....for an 80 year old, he's good to go.

I'll probably die when I'm 40. It's genetic...but, eat well, move, and train your brain.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I saw a fairly large scale long term study done in Europe a couple years ago. Didn't save a link, but it followed people who had already been diagnosed and treated for heart disease.

Half were put on a typical low salt diet.
Half were allowed to consume as much salt as they preferred.

The low salt group had a higher death rate.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a Butter Only person since I was a teenager in the late 60's. Because to me Margarine has ALWAYS smelled like rancid butter.

I've also always like a bit of salt on my food. However due to the calories in items like potato chips I have cut way back on salty snacks.

As for red meat, with Heart Disease a near certainty in my family history I only allow myself to have red meat about 1 meal per month, for all my other meals it's either chicken, turkey, or fish. BTW, there is an outfit called Man Cave Meats and they have a frozen ground turkey, cheese, and jalapeno patty that is incredibly tasty, especially right off a grill.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
One of my buddies just turned 74. I told him he was old enough where he doesn't need to take careful of himself anymore.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Heartbeats theory: When you are born, your heartbeats are written in The Book. Use them wisely.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on the type of salt. The processed table salt probably isn't beneficial, but sea salt and Himalayan salt are.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My wife has cooked with less salt over the years and, now, I can pick up the average salty food.

I don't think salt is bad overall but modern processed food uses a lot of it to induce "taste" in their otherwise tasteless offerings.

Used sparingly, I think salt makes bland food taste sweet.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Heartbeats theory: When you are born, your heartbeats are written in The Book. Use them wisely.

So wouldn't that mean you would be better off being a still and calm as possible so as to never raise your heart rate? Someone running for an hour with a bpm of 140 will use up twice as many beats as the person sitting on the couch with a heart rate of 70.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I think it depends on the type of salt. The processed table salt probably isn't beneficial, but sea salt and Himalayan salt are.
The trace amount of iodine in table salt is beneficial as iodine deficiency can have serious consequences, causing abnormal neuronal development, mental retardation, congenital abnormalities, spontaneous abortion and miscarriage, congenital hypothyroidism, and infertility.

Like everything, salt is beneficial in moderation.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
More and more the worst thing is turning out to be sugar and ultra processed foods. I really think that is the true evil as far as food goes and lately my body has been telling me so.

I've cut it out of my diet anywhere I can and I no longer get headaches or those horrible dips and spikes in energy and I feel sharper mentally.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
More and more the worst thing is turning out to be sugar and ultra processed foods.
<snip>

I'm good with that, provided that you don't consider Spam to be ultra processed food. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything in moderation. Except politics, of course.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

So wouldn't that mean you would be better off being a still and calm as possible so as to never raise your heart rate? Someone running for an hour with a bpm of 140 will use up twice as many beats as the person sitting on the couch with a heart rate of 70.

Why, yes.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
According to climate nazis once science is settled it never changes! Roll Eyes

Moderation is key. Eat 5 pounds of red meat a day and it will be a problem. Having a steak in moderation is not a problem. Same with salt, cake or any other food.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I've never bought this business of salt causing high blood pressure all by itself in otherwise healthy people, or that any and all salt is bad. In fact, it's a necessary nutrient that you can die without.

quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
According to climate nazis once science is settled it never changes!

How many times have the scientists done a 180° on butter, the cholesterol in eggs, and now salt?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post