SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ridiculous things you see on TV cop shows
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ridiculous things you see on TV cop shows Login/Join 
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Guess the dumbest I've seen is (the movie Matrix for example) after the gun fires, slow-motion examines the ENTIRE bullet, brass case, EVERYTHING flying through the air. I can't seem to get my Sig to accomplish this feat.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
For being a crack military unit, the A Team couldn't hit shit with their full auto Rugers.

There was a TV series about the British SAS (Ultimate Force?) that was reasonably entertaining, but that was an amusing element of many of its shows: Five minutes of full auto fire by a dozen bad guys and “operators” at bad breath distances, and no one gets hit.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47462 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Car crashes either have to blow up spectacularly or fly as if they are for Harry Potter's getaway.

Note to crooks: Don't park over any hydraulic bollards while commiting a crime. Fast and Furious movies seem to think the viewing public is especialy stupid and gullible. Why was that guy racing around with all of those explosives in the back seat? Confused

Posts: 9220 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
CSI's working a bloody crime scene wearing high heels and white slacks.

Racking slides and or pumping shotgun right before you need it... hey you've pumped it empty by now.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wish someone could explain to me how they always manage to diffuse the bomb with about 2 secs left on the clock. Also, they must sell C4 at Walmart considering how much is in use during a typical week of television.

Ken

Posts: 1051 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Making tactical type approaches to known dangerous bad guys, terrorists, gangs, etc., and most of the cops only have their handguns. Or, the tactical team has long guns and heavy gear, but the detective with a handgun is the first or second guy in the door.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Making tactical type approaches to known dangerous bad guys, terrorists, gangs, etc., and most of the cops only have their handguns. Or, the tactical team has long guns and heavy gear, but the detective with a handgun is the first or second guy in the door.

Glad I’m not the only one who sees this.

Posts: 4142 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

Somebody watches Blue Bloods I see. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8232 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fed161:
...The cop is denied entry, so with a single kick he knocks down the door, and charges right in. Pure bullshit.

Actually, the amount of force required to kick open a typical residential door is not much. Door-kicking is a very common method of entry by burglars.[/QUOTE

Well, I must have a very good front door, because nobody is getting through with a kick I can guarantee you. But then again, the security of the door was of primary importance to me when I went shopping for a new one. I rejected some models that were in my view not secure enough. I paid a little extra for the extra security because it was important to me.

Its not the door, it is the door jamb that breaks. Most lock sets only use 1/2 to 3/4 inch screws which only screw into the wooden jamb, which is what breaks when kicked. Just replacing those screws with 2 /1/2 to 3 inch screws (goes past the jamb into the wall) makes the door a lot stronger.

Posts: 3987 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
an outswing door is a booger to kick in however.

Some stupid bounty hunter tried that approach with a mobile home door. They eventually gained entry, held the guy at gunpoint and discovered they had the wrong guy. Even Dog would not make that mistake.

Posts: 17354 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Wouldn’t the shooter also go flying back to the same distance, more or less, depending upon the mass of shooter and shootee.

I guess Newton’s “Third Law of Physics” (For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction) does not apply to TV and Hollywood movies.

No laws apply to Hollywood, or Washington types. They are the select.

Politics in an apolitical, fun thread. Come on, man....

Posts: 17328 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
... Cars that explode violently upon impact with damn near anything.

I don't know, that's pretty realistic

Posts: 8651 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
Guess the dumbest I've seen is (the movie Matrix for example) after the gun fires, slow-motion examines the ENTIRE bullet, brass case, EVERYTHING flying through the air. I can't seem to get my Sig to accomplish this feat.

Tinyman

Except they didn’t do that in the Matrix. You’re conflating the movie posters of The Naked Gun trilogy (which was part of the humor) with a movie that actually did it right in that regard. I’m sure it’s happened and I’m sure I’ve also seen it, but it wasn’t in any of the Matrix movies, for all the rules of reality and logic they bent, that wasn’t one of them.

VS

No casings, no primers, just projectiles.

Posts: 17328 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Murder scene. Evidence techs wearing tyvek suits with hoods and gloves. our hero and his sidekick just stroll right on in, coffee and cigarette in hand, stand right next to body, often eating a sandwich......

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
For being a crack military unit, the A Team couldn't hit shit with their full auto Rugers.

That was on purpose. George Peppard explained it all in an interview. I'll see if i can find it.

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1727 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:

I just wish someone could explain to me how they always manage to diffuse the bomb with about 2 secs left on the clock.
The blue wire. Cut the blue wire!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30896 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:

I just wish someone could explain to me how they always manage to diffuse the bomb with about 2 secs left on the clock.
The blue wire. Cut the blue wire!

Why does the clock always stop?

What would happen if they used the same color wires?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What bothers me is that they never, ever shoot the radiator. If they did, the car is only going a mile or so, and the engine will then lock up. The perps would be on foot. This is much better than a flat tire.

-c1steve

Posts: 4081 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll go with Frank Cannon driving a car and wrenching the steering wheel back and forth like he's wrestling a snake. The car doesn't wobble a bit.

Oh, and with Frank in it, the car should have about a 10 degree list to port.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2085 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
Oh, and with Frank in it, the car should have about a 10 degree list to port.

I got a good laugh from that! Smile

"Cannon" and "Mannix" were two of my favorites as a kid when I could stay up late enough to watch them.

I roll eyes at the sparkling bullet impacts, the one-shot car blow ups, and the squealing tires on dirt, but my two biggest peeves are the cars always flipping when impacting another car, stack of boxes, etc. and the holding someone hostage with the hammer down on a SA-only semi-auto.

Is it really so hard to find someone with real-world experience in such things and have them come up with real-world alternatives to at least the more egregious items of Hollywood idiocy? Some people say things would be boring if tv/movies were more realistic. Time and again, though, the old saying that truth is stranger (and usually better) than fiction proves to be correct.

Posts: 4999 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post