SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with PC Graphics Card! $500- $900 range?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with PC Graphics Card! $500- $900 range? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Really there are three paths:

1) Buy what your budget will accept at today's market prices, and just accept that performance going forward and not replace it.

2) Hold off on the new gaming PC/new graphics card till the prices drop back to earth (what I'm doing), or

3) Buy what your budget is and build now with an interim card, with the expectation of replacing that card with a final card when prices normalize.

If your plan is #3, the money spent on the interim card can be though of as essentially a rental charge so you have something to use while waiting. (Note that when you buy the final card when prices have stabilized, you shouldn't expect to recoup much of the cost of the interim card by selling that one, as the value of your interim card will have dropped, too.)

Sigh... I'll probably end up doing #3 shamefully. As I've got the gaming bug. Plus my old graphics car 10+ years old will basically be a paper weight in a new machine.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^How did you determine BestBuy even had ANY inventory? Any way to get notifications on availability? I had heard that they were expecting inventory during the first week of January, but haven't heard/seen anything since. The BestBuy product pages (I'm interested in an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3) show either 'Sold Out' or 'Coming Soon' and I've seen NO changes (other than the MSRP increase) since Christmas!

I have notifications setup for numerous sites, but haven't gotten one notification yet. I have about 18 links bookmarked in a folder, I open them all at once and search daily. This is actually how I found out that best buy had them in stock, and they had quite a few. You have to click add to cart and then wait for the button to turn back to yellow to add it. Refreshing = bad. They use this process to combat bots. I was at the tail end of them being sold out so no dice. I tried for an Asus Rog Strix, and when they sold out I searched for all 3080's and there was only the very base model left available but didn't get one of those either.

I also check reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ They had the Best Buy thing posted that morning way before I seen them.

I won't pay much over retail. I did a white build this time so the white 3080's are going to be even harder to come by. I have a 1080Ti now, which I bought during the cyrpto currency craze. I think I picked the 2 worst times to buy a new GPU!

There are tracking sites out there too if you look but you will have to monitor them. I started to write a powershell script to scrape the page for text and then send an email if it detects they are in stock, but haven't gotten it working yet.

Good luck!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
If you are not gaming or running CAD you can get by with a lot cheaper options.

What will be the purpose of this PC? If basic Word, Excell and internet stuff you really don't need a separate GPU at all.

It’ll mostly be gaming.

What resolution is your monitor, and what CPU are you planning to have?

I've got a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X on the way. I'll likely run a HDMI up to my 55" TCL TV. It's a 4K TV but I don't expect to game @ 4K. If it runs a 1080 I'm good with that.

4K cards are extortion levels high right now.

EDIT TO ADD: Ideally I'd like for it to run "most" games at 60 fps or better if I can. Along with the Ryzen 7 8 core I'm throwing in 32GB of RAM.

I have that processor and the same amount of RAM. Coupled with a RTX 2060 Founder's Edition I can play whatever I want. I play mostly shooters (Doom Eternal, Cyberpunk and Payday 2 are probably my most played at the moment). I can also dabble in CAD and play with some light programming without issue. (I literally walked into Best Buy when I built it, looked at what theyu had on the shelf, and made my purchase decision based on "what can I walk out with right now to build this afternoon." It was the right call.)

A friend finished his R9-3900X build a couple of months ago using a RTX 2070 Super. Based on the hardware and my experiences with my system it should be a screamer, but all he plays is EVE so I can't say for certain.

Also, re: the stock status of the cards - check to see if the PC gaming or PC building subreddits have Discord servers; folks might be putting up notifications there when they find a place with stock. That is exactly what's happening with the r/reloading sub Discord.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^How did you determine BestBuy even had ANY inventory? Any way to get notifications on availability? I had heard that they were expecting inventory during the first week of January, but haven't heard/seen anything since. The BestBuy product pages (I'm interested in an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3) show either 'Sold Out' or 'Coming Soon' and I've seen NO changes (other than the MSRP increase) since Christmas!

The Founder Edition cards trickle in from time to time. Friend of mine finally got one there a few weeks back. We've all been trying since the day they were released back in September. Your best bet for EVGA is to be on their own waiting list. I signed up with them on the 19th of September, but still haven't gotten notified of my turn in the queue.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Awesome...I've been in the EVGA Auto Notify 'queue' since Christmas Day, so I guess it's gonna be quite a while before my number comes up! Frown

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8884 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Same here. Frown

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Newegg is working on a lottery system since so many people have complained. They ran a beta test recently to see how it went. Unfortunately, they were only selling bundles rather than lone components. People complained about that as well! Still, they are at least trying to come up with something better than playing race-the-bots.

Around where I live, we have a Microcenter, and they are only selling their stock in-store. No online sales. They still sell out the day things come in, but if you go to the store and wait for them to open, you at least have a realistic chance of getting something. I almost got one that way before Christmas, but I was 5 people behind the guy who got the last 3080!

- Bret

Posts: 2465 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I checked my local Microcenter and they just got a shipment in. If you want a Radeon RX6800 (non-XT) for $800-$900, or an RTX3090 for $2000, I can go get one and send it to you! They also claim to have a 3060ti for $480 and a 3070 for $750, but I’m betting those will be gone within the hour. Anyway, if you want me to stop by and see if I can get one for ya, I will.

EDIT: 3060 and 3070 gone. I can still get a $1k RX6800 or a $2k 3090!

- Bret

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sadlerbw,

Posts: 2465 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
If I'd seen this earlier, I would've gone for the 3070. LOL

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Found out there's a Micro Center over in Marietta not to far from Woodstock. So I'm going to probably start procuring everything else I need. Then when I see a shipment come in. Run over there and grab something when the time is right. Seems like some slightly better deals vs the online scalping that's going on.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Soooooo....can I PayPal you say $800 the day before you go? Score me an EVGA RTX 3080. Big Grin

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I'm desperately looking to score me an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 (Don't care if it's the 'Gaming' or Ultra Gaming' version)....Can anyone help a guy out? Wink

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8884 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^I'm desperately looking to score me an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 (Don't care if it's the 'Gaming' or Ultra Gaming' version)....Can anyone help a guy out? Wink

I saw they have a ASUS Radeon RX 6800 XT ROG Strix LC Overclocked Hybrid Cooled 16GB for $1K. People are selling on Amazon for $1,800. What dirt bags.

Also says they have over 25+ 3070s @ $784.00 That might be my ticket when it comes time to pull the trigger.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^Awesome...I've been in the EVGA Auto Notify 'queue' since Christmas Day, so I guess it's gonna be quite a while before my number comes up! Frown

Just got notified today finally about the EVGA 10G-P5-3897-KR being available.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^That's the RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming, correct? Very Cool. That's EXACTLY what my son spec'd for his new gaming PC, though I told him we may need to settle for the regular FTW3 Gaming version, if we find one.

Seeing as I only got on the EVGA list on Christmas day, I'll probably get my notification sometime in May! Roll Eyes

ETA - Awesome Karma....If so, I'm in! Wink

Seriously, It's good to hear that someone will be getting a high end Nvidia graphics card at MSRP, and that the EVGA Auto-Notify 'Queue' System really delivers for regular PC enthusiasts!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,

Live Free or Die!

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Bumped my budget up. I'll never make it to a MicroCenter and actually catch them with stuff on the shelfs.

If anyone has any idea of what I should just grab off Amazon in the $500-$900 window I'm all ears.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Newegg has some RTX3070's in their lottery system. You have to register today before 3pm EST to be entered into the lottery to purchase.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Newegg has some RTX3070's in their lottery system. You have to register today before 3pm EST to be entered into the lottery to purchase.

Well.. checked back in here 15 minutes to late. Face Palm.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Found a RTX 2080 Super on Amazon and pulled the trigger for $999.

I know I overpaid. But for convenience to just get my hands on a half decent card and finish this build. I don't even care right now.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You could recoup some of that cost by renting out your GPU to hash crypto.

I'm testing out NiceHash. Appears to be paying a steady stream of bitcoins to rent out the GPU power of my RTX2070.

Hypothetically, my rig would pay out $2.77 per 24 hour period or about $83 per month after electricity costs at the current price of BTC of $48,800.

Not bad considering I have 3 computers and this rig typically sits idle unless I'm playing games or editing photos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post