SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Port Angeles, WA Mayor wants to remove representations of soldiers with guns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Port Angeles, WA Mayor wants to remove representations of soldiers with guns Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted
The memorial for the Liberty Bell was vandalized and a fence was installed. On it are silhouettes of two soldiers. According to the mayor, “people” have complained.

Veterans Park fence design defended in Port Angeles
Mayor Sissi Bruch wants to remove guns

By Leah Leach
PORT ANGELES — Mayor Sissi Bruch wants to remove the representations of guns from the new fence at Veterans Memorial Park.
She has been asked to pull her request from the Port Angeles City Council’s Wednesday agenda.

Bruch says in a memo in the agenda packet for the council’s meeting that the “two decorative outlines of soldiers with guns” have drawn objections

“I’ve had comments from people saying do we have to do guys with guns when guns are killing our children in schools?” Bruch said Saturday, adding that she did not know how many complaints she had received.
“We can use other symbols,” she said.

The symbols should be of the democracy that veterans defend rather than the “tools of violence” they use to do so, according to Bruch.

The council will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the council chambers at City Hall, 321 E. Fifth St.

The approximately $15,000 fence installed in September at Veterans Memorial Park on Lincoln Street next to the Clallam County Courthouse was privately funded.

The intention was to protect the replica of the Liberty Bell from vandalism. In recent years, Veterans Park had become a sheltered spot for homeless people and vagrants, some of whom had left trash in the park and damaged the bell and the structure that supports it.

The fence includes two representations of colonial soldiers with muskets and 13 stars standing for the original 13 colonies of the United States.

“The council chambers is going to have a few people on Wednesday,” said Karen Rogers, former mayor, who with Gary W. Velie, president of the Clallam County Veterans Association, led the drive for the fence.

“My phone has not stopped ringing since 8 o’clock yesterday morning,” Rogers said Saturday.

Rogers said she will call for Bruch to rescind her memo during the public comment period on Wednesday.

Velie and Cherie Kidd, council member and former mayor, have sent Bruch letters — copies of which were sent also to the Peninsula Daily News on Saturday — calling for her to remove the request from the council agenda.

Velie said that the design of the fence created by Port Angeles sculptors Bob Stokes and Gray Lucier was approved by the Port Angeles Parks Commission, a city building permit was issued, and a contract was signed in August.

The contract “specifically states that all of the funding for the project will be the responsibility of community donations and not negatively affect the City’s General Fund,” his letter says.

“We are certainly not going to fund the alteration and partial removal of the gates,” he said.

Kidd’s letter charges Bruch with overstepping her authority and asks where Bruch intends to find funds to alter the fence.

“Do you want to take money from public safety or roads?” the letter says.

Bruch describes the decorative elements of the fence as “two large outlines of a soldier with a gun and many small stars.”

Rogers, pointing out that the park is in an historic district, said that the fence “has colonial soldiers like they were guarding the bell, guarding liberty.”

“It has to do with the historical period of the liberty bell,” Rogers said. “It’s a beautiful artistic piece.”

Said Kidd: “The design is historically accurate. We are a free nation only because of the brave men and women who have fought for our freedom.

“Our veterans deserve respect, but this action is clearly unconscionably disrespectful to our veterans and their families who planned for and the private funds that paid for this lovely protection for our Liberty Bell from destruction by vandals.

Bruch said that her request is “nothing against veterans.”

“Can we have a symbol that celebrates what the veterans fought for, which is democracy, rather than using the tools?

“It’s about liberty and democracy. Can we find other symbols that give that bell respect? In my mind there are more creative ways of doing that,” Bruch said.

Stokes, moved to tears, said Saturday: “My nephew Capt. Joseph Schultz gave his life in Afghanistan for his country. All my relatives are veterans and this is a war memorial and we have to respect it for what it is.

“I’m not taking the soldiers off or the guns.”
https://www.peninsuladailynews...ded-in-port-angeles/

Email sbruch@cityofpa.us

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6061 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Can we have a symbol that celebrates what the veterans fought for, which is democracy, rather than using the tools?

I love the doublethink here.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The only “tool of violence” in that article is her brain. Damn.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3984 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Jeezus christmas! And replace them with what? Representations of soldiers using harsh language?? Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Jeezus christmas! And replace them with what? Representations of soldiers using harsh language?? Roll Eyes

And we all know how that turned out...

(Ok, maybe it wasn't exactly like that)

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bruch says in a memo in the agenda packet for the council’s meeting that the “two decorative outlines of soldiers with guns” have drawn objections

“I’ve had comments from people saying do we have to do guys with guns when guns are killing our children in schools?” Bruch said Saturday, adding that she did not know how many complaints she had received.
I absolutely hate this shit. Why didn't the Council Chairman tell her, "Your current request has been removed from the agenda. You can bring it back when you have those who have complained to you about this show up here in chambers and personally communicate their issues to the council." This BS lying by politicians about nebulous 'complaints' needs to be exposed and shoved straight down the dear mayor's throat.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sure Sissi, sure.
Like the Sriracha sauce factory smell complaints in SoCal several years ago; come to find out that the majority of complaints came from three addresses, in which each location submitted at least 5 separate complaints. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14777 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sissi.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53143 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There must be "something in the water" up that way. These folks are certainly in need of some help.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're stylized impressions of Muskets- "The silhouettes of two Revolutionary War soldiers"

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13421 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^ Seriously? That?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
My phone has not stopped ringing since 8 o’clock yesterday morning,”

Bullshit.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
My phone has not stopped ringing since 8 o’clock yesterday morning,”

Bullshit.

from the article: “The council chambers is going to have a few people on Wednesday,” said Karen Rogers, former mayor, who with Gary W. Velie, president of the Clallam County Veterans Association, led the drive for the fence.

“My phone has not stopped ringing since 8 o’clock yesterday morning,” Rogers said Saturday.

You might have misread that. It's a supporters comment not the Sissy mayor. I completely believe it, leaving a little room for hyperbole of course.

Posts: 6436 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
They're stylized impressions of Muskets- "The silhouettes of two Revolutionary War soldiers"

Clearly the better depiction would be a rubber duck and a ukelele. Firearms are scary.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, of common sense and abundant liberal ideology... Mad

Plenty of room down here if you'd like to come down.... Big Grin

Posts: 4387 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I did post the number on the robocalled resource site on the Dark Web, so maybe it did ring a lot. Racheal from Credit Services.

Posts: 17181 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The fact that a security fence is needed around a monument to the Liberty Bell can probably be tied to imbeciles like “Sissi” being in charge.

Posts: 27022 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised she even got elected. Port Angeles is a town about an hour away from where I grew up, been there many times. It's primarily a logging community with some great salmon fishing.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5078 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Mayor Sissi started her adult life at Louisiana State University, but then over-educated herself at the University of Berkeley at Lansing, Michigan, then turned even farther left into the state of Washington. With any luck, she’ll take a few more steps to the west and drown in the Pacific.

Somewhere along the way, she forgot that liberty is not attained by the words “please” and “thank you.”

Posts: 4523 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The stupid is strong in that one... VERY strong

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38050 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post