SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Embasies and Consulates
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Embasies and Consulates Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
Why do we need them all over the place?

What does a consulate in Seattle do for Russia. Opportunity for spies if you ask me....

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Helps Seattle folks do business in and travel to Russia. And helps Russians travel to and do business in the Pacific Northwest.

The Russians can spy without consulates. It may be a convenience for spying, but eliminating them would hardly handicap spying.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seattle has a lot of defense industries and the Nuclear subs are based there as well. Jus sayin that's why I'd be there if I was a russian.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Embassies are the official diplomatic locations for those specific countries. They're located in the capitol of the host country, the ambassador is the head of state representative for that country. Anything that country does, the host country can turn to that embassy for an explanation or, information.

A consulate acts as a satellite office to the embassy, they're usually located where that country has lots of business and handles a large amount of visa processing. Those seeking visa's usually are expats looking to visit the country of their immigration. Los Angeles has a large amount of consulates, mainly serving the entertainment industry looking to conduct business in those countries. Similarly, the Bay Area, mainly San Francisco has a large number consulates either as West Coast establishments or, serving the tech sector business'.

Also keep in mind, diplomatic missions operate on a quid pro quo system. You want more consulates in our country, we want more too. You wanna increase your staff to over 1000 people, we get to do the same. You want to increase the size of your diplomatic pouches, we get to do the same. Consider we have a consulate in Yekaterinburg and Vladivostok...they're not there because of the large number of American expats and tourists.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I guarantee they have a plan for their consulate and embassy locations, we all know Russians don't take a dump without a plan.

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That's kinda the problem - they always have a plan for taking a dump, but never have a plan for dealing with the shit.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Here is my perspective as a former expat. I am an American and was living in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. For the geographically challenged, this is north of Montana.

The official US embassy was in Ottawa, Ontario. For the geographically challenged, this is north of Syracuse, New York.

There was a US Consulate in Calgary, and I could book an appointment to have US legal documents notarized or I could have my passport renewed. It cost me a few CanadaBucks in parking and petrol, and was much cheaper than going to Ottawa or the USA. For US taxpayers, a consulate is cheaper than an embassy since it’s less staff, smaller building, and a much less ornate of a building.

I can see other G8 countries having consulates in the 25 largest cities in the US for the exact reason as we have consulates in places like Calgary, Alberta.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Approve and rubberstamp your emotional support Chihuahua's health certificate, so you can fly to Murmansk without triggering and creating an episode, comrade.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post