SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Academy Sports manager fired for stopping gun thief
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Academy Sports manager fired for stopping gun thief Login/Join 
Picture of alinc100
posted
https://www.tallahassee.com/st...t-suspect/772900002/

The manager of Tallahassee’s Academy Sports was fired Tuesday after tackling a suspect accused of stealing a handgun late last month. The suspect also allegedly threatened to shoot people.

Dean Crouch, 32, was the store manager who stopped Jason White from leaving the Mahan Drive store with a .40-caliber pistol from the firearms counter on June 29.

“Academy has decided to, instead of treating him like the hero he is, they terminated his employment effective immediately because he put his hands on Mr. White,” Crouch's attorney Ryan Hobbs said.
link

Posts: 318 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: April 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What's his middle name? "Ain't"?

Posts: 84056 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
Would you mind posting the whole article for those of us who don't want to contribute to the Tallahassee Democrat's advertisements that want us to answer 7 questions about what cologne brands we're familiar with before it'll show us the article without everything grayed out?

Posts: 9405 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds just what the dicks at Dick's would do.

Posts: 220 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I didn't know Academy sold Hi-Points.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4001 | Location: Lehi, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think the guy should have been given an "attaboy" and a raise, but unfortunately, this retarded-ass policy is common with large retailers.

Academy has another retarded policy, putting trigger locks on every firearm, not even unlocking them if you want to check the reach to the trigger, an important component of how a gun fits your hand. So when jerkoff tried to book out of the store with his new gat, was the trigger lock still on it? Maybe that isn't so retarded after all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 20839 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Link

Academy Sports manager fired after tackling gun theft suspect

The manager of Tallahassee’s Academy Sports was fired Tuesday after tackling a suspect accused of stealing a handgun late last month. The suspect also allegedly threatened to shoot people.

Dean Crouch, 32, was the store manager who stopped Jason White from leaving the Mahan Drive store with a .40-caliber pistol from the firearms counter on June 29.

“Academy has decided to, instead of treating him like the hero he is, they terminated his employment effective immediately because he put his hands on Mr. White,” Crouch's attorney Ryan Hobbs said.

Just hours before he was taken into custody, White stole two handguns from Cash America Pawn on South Adams Street, according to Tallahassee Police.

White asked to look at the handgun at the firearms counter. He was handed the gun, then ran toward the front door.

Crouch, who court records say observed the transaction at the counter, and another employee tackled and subdued White at the exit doors and recovered the gun, a stolen backpack, five boxes of ammunition and two magazines for the Glock.

White was taken into the store’s office while police were en route.

It was there that he admitted to stealing the gun and threatened to shoot people with it. Court records indicate those threats, but do not mention threats to kill police officers as Crouch’s attorney claims.

White, according to court records, said he and his family were being threatened by an unknown person and he wanted the gun to “kill him."

“He repeatedly said ‘I stole and I admit to it’ and ‘I will steal again when I get out of jail,’” officers wrote in their report.

Hobbs said his client is considering a lawsuit for wrongful termination. The way he sees it, Crouch may have saved lives by stopping White.

“This is not something that happens for Mr. Crouch in his everyday life,” Hobbs said. “I think he was thinking there is a man running out of the store with a gun in his hand with his coworkers following from the firearm area screaming ‘Stop that man.’ Something had to be done and he was the one that was going to do it.

Academy Sports spokeswoman Elise Hasbrook said she could not comment on specific personnel matters or policies.

However, Crouch’s actions and his termination were handled in accordance with the Texas-based company’s policies.

“While the incident ended without injury, actions inconsistent with corporate policies were taken,” she said. “We addressed the matter with the local store and individuals involved.”

Crouch worked at the store for more than two years and is married with a family and has no way to support them.

Hobbs said maybe the corporate policy should be revisited.

“My instincts tell me they are concerned more about people like Mr. White suing them for being stopped in the course of a theft than they are about rewarding or acknowledging in a positive manner that Mr. Crouch may have saved lives.”

Posts: 6565 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
....waiting for the Brady/Bloomberg people to come to the defense of this manager. He kept a thug from stealing a firearm and committing murder, right?

Posts: 8109 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Rethinking my policy of shopping at Academy.

Posts: 22963 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll add Academy to the growing list of goods & services providers that are off limits to my family.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1274 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's not as if such a policy would attract and emboldened thieves.

Oh, yes, I know- harumph harumph corporate liability harumph harumph required by our insurer harumph harumph.

Brain damage. Mass hysteria. Somethin'.

Common sense, if ever it existed for them, has flown away like a carefree little bird, forgotten the instant it's out of sight.

If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner. - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 84056 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I went looking for a corporate email to show my displeasure but they hide it well like cowards. Mad

Posts: 15580 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The policy makes sense if we are talking about a typical item. The potential for suits from the thief, or employee, or a workers comp claim isn't worth the value of any item.

However, this guy had a gun, ammo, said he was going to kill someone. The manager heroically saved lives, if this isn't an extenuating circumstance warranting an exception to the policy, I don't know what is.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

The world's a dangerous place, we can help! http://portlandfirearmtraining.com/

Posts: 3603 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Rats. I had an email for the old CEO of academy but he left them, so no go. The new CEO is Ken Hicks.

It's late and I can't do more research.

Here is the newly hired CEO, Ken Hicks, you can probably dig around and find his email, or call Academy headquarters and ask for his office.

https://www.chron.com/business...hairman-12919979.php

https://www.academy.com/shop/e...6-2018-press-release

Edit: Academy is owned by KKR. http://www.kkr.com/businesses/kkr-portfolio. Give KKR some hell.

Posts: 7389 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Academy's phone number from their website:

888-922-2336

Posts: 22963 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
So apparently they would rather a criminal have a stolen firearm, from their store, roaming the streets to rob, shoot and possibly murder someone - over their manager stopping him. It's not like he was walking out with a candy bar in his pocket. Someone isn't thinking very clear at Academy if this is the scenario they would prefer.

America First!

Posts: 2393 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas-based company’s policies.

I would think they'd have a better policy, being based in Texas.

Posts: 7586 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Criminal said, “and I will steal again when I get out of jail.” Mad

Posts: 11118 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Texas-based company’s policies.

I would think they'd have a better policy, being based in Texas.
Owned by KKR, out of NYC. No matter; F them all.

Posts: 5491 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have always wondered how far gun store employees could legally go to stop a non-violent (grab & go) firearm theft.

Posts: 8151 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post