SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why don’t girl’s pants have useful pockets?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why don’t girl’s pants have useful pockets? Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
It depends where you buy your jeans. I recall when womens jeans had the zipper on the side.

On a related note, why do womens blouses button on the left side and men on the right??
And belts go through the loops in opposite directions?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Now why women's clothes button the other way, is the other posters suggestion about the woman's helper to dress her might be correct?

I don't know that it's correct, but I've heard it a number of times.
More importantly, my mom told me that's the reason for it. That, friends and neighbors, I'll take to the bank. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
They can if she wants them to have useful pockets. In other words, women can buy working blue jeans.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
This is why I wear men's pants...

I am more concerned with getting women out of their pants than having them hold my stuff in their pants

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It depends where you buy your jeans. I recall when womens jeans had the zipper on the side.

On a related note, why do womens blouses button on the left side and men on the right??

Because it makes it easier for the opposite sex to unbutton. BTW, this isn't a Sexist statement because it works the same for both sexes.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My understanding is this goes back to the time when men carried swords on their left hip. Hence they could unbutton their outer garment to access their sword.

Now why womens cloths button the other way, is the other posters suggestion about the womens helper to dress her might be correct?

Hmm. Well, it was customary to wear a sword on the left hip for two reasons: most men are right handed, and mounting a horse—probably the reason it evolved that horsemen mounted from the left in the first place.

Interestingly, I have two men’s jackets from Europe. A Merino wool short jacket from Fjallraven, a Swedish company. A waterproof, vaguely military style jacket from Barbour. Both have the zipper pull on the left side. I don’t know what that says about any of the theories about the buttons on women’s clothes (or drawing swords).

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
quote:

Heard tell that back in the time when men wore swords they could unbutton their cloak/outer garment with the left hand while drawing their sword with their right hand.
lack of speed kills...

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
quote:

My understanding is this goes back to the time when men carried swords on their left hip. Hence they could unbutton their outer garment to access their sword.

Now why womens cloths button the other way, is the other posters suggestion about the womens helper to dress her might be correct?

Hmm. Well, it was customary to wear a sword on the left hip for two reasons: most men are right handed, and mounting a horse—probably the reason it evolved that horsemen mounted from the left in the first place.

Interestingly, I have two men’s jackets from Europe. A Merino wool short jacket from Fjallraven, a Swedish company. A waterproof, vaguely military style jacket from Barbour. Both have the zipper pull on the left side. I don’t know what that says about any of the theories about the buttons on women’s clothes (or drawing swords).
I bought a fleece jacket on Mykonos that has the zipper backward. I thought it was a man's jacket--it was sized that way.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:

I used to collect camouflage, everything European (British, German, Swedish, Austrian, etc) have the zipper pull on the left. For that matter the Canadians do their zippers the same way, at least on military uniforms.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Because pockets disturb the natural symmetry and flow of their curves! Then there’s yoga pants Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
As far as I'm concerned women's pants have the most important pocket on the planet.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ever seen a gal wear cargo pants...it ain't flattering. Put things inside those cargo pockets, now you've got extra 'things' sagging against her thighs, swaying around as she walks. Big Grin Not a good look.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post

These look ok.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
But baby clothes have real pockets, for cheerios I guess.

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thank you suppressed!!

It took two pages, you guys are slipping

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Pockets on a woman's pants serve one purpose. To accentuate the good/de-emphasize the bad with regard to the size and shape of her buttocks.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Boubour advertises their coats as being estate clothing, zippers on the left so your man servant/butler could easily zip you up.

I always have difficulty zipping myself into my oil cloath coat.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why don’t girl’s pants have useful pockets?

because what good would you be if she could carry her own stuff,

consider it a blessing she wants to take you along, sherpa duty or not Wink

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Their jeans are used for a billboard, not for a tactical stash of goodies.

Actually it's both.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why don’t girl’s pants have useful pockets?

Because they were designed by men.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post