New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brave browser Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Been using Brave for awhile. No complaints at all.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Phone test with Brave
Noticeably faster than Chrome.
Took a bit to figure out how to sync with the computer for bookmarks & pwds.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to delete chrome and other search engines from a computer that won't screw anything else up? Or if just not using it is okay?

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine uninstalling Chrome having a negative effect on a Windows/Apple machine.

For me, I just have to be sure I test all my work-sites to ensure they're Brave compatible.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigCity:
Is there a way to delete chrome and other search engines from a computer that won't screw anything else up? Or if just not using it is okay?

Chrome is not a search engine. It's a browser. Other than taking up space, leaving it installed is not an issue. You can't delete search engines. They're out on the Internet. You can just not use them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Based on the other thread, I literally just installed it and am using it for the first time right this moment. All bookmarks imported from Chrome just fine, and so far it's working well... and fast! Time will tell though so I'm leaving Chrome installed for the moment to see how it all goes.

Cheers!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A whole bunch of my FF add-ons and had been disabled, I had to individually go through them and reactivate. Something is not playing well with others it seems.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've turned off Brave's (Google) Safe Browsing relying on my Comodo and Windows Defender instead.

"There are services in Brave that collect your data, but most are turned off by default, such as the prediction service for searches and loading webpages. As mentioned, the browser uses Google Safe Browsing, which is enabled by default and sends parts of your browsing data to Google for analysis.

In theory this information is anonymized, but it is entirely possible for Google to cross-reference multiple requests to determine what websites you’ve been visiting. Thus, you have to decide whether the protection is worth the loss of privacy."

I'm also trying to find out if Brave uses the Cloud in any way....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've installed and am using Brave on linux and phone now. Looks good. But for online banking on phone, I have dedicated apps.

I've never heard of Brave until today. How do get comfortable that it's GtG for online banking on Windows? Secure, private, protected, etc.... At least as good or better than Chrome, Firefox?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

I'm also trying to find out if Brave uses the Cloud in any way....

Found this Big Grin

"Brave is a free and open source browser developed by Brave Software inc. and its based on the chromium web browser. So this is nothing new in the browser world. What is new is that this browser has built-in “Ad-blocking” and “HTTPS Everywhere“, which ensures your privacy. This also has a positive affect on browser speed, as its faster then Chrome, Firefox and Opera browser. Brave browser also doesn’t track you and stores nothing in the cloud, which is also perfect for privacy."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Brave is mentioned in the following link, and good things are said about it, but what says the hive mind about the rest?

10 Best Browsers 2020

Specifically I'm interested in how it compares to TAILS.

I'm using Firefox on my laptop and Android devices primarily, with some use of Chrome because FF's new version (a few months ago) was practically unusable for me on my tablet. Would love a .30-06 type browser to use everywhere that keeps the monsters out of my closets.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I posted some problems in the Trump thread. I was using an old version my BFF had put on a thumb drive for me to use but until yesterday I'd not tried it. I have contacted him and he has advised me to remove the thumb drive temporarily and download Brave fresh to my desktop from a link he gave. I've not yet done that (busy today) but I will be doing it soon. Hopefully, that will solve the issues I'd been seeing.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Brave is pretty good.

If you like Firefox but hate their new political stance, there's a fork called Waterfox.

And having recently done a complete round of testing of about 10 browsers, I hate to say, the best alternative to Chrome I've found that just works great is turning out to be Microsoft Edge.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well I have my first Brave hiccup. Can't login to USAA. Frown

I've tried everything turning things on and off separately and in combination. nada Frown

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Buddy is using Brave & says it works well.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Been using brave for over a year
Rock solid

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've tried everything turning things on and off separately and in combination. nada Frown

I use the the USAA app
Perfect

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:

I downloaded Brave an hour ago and just tried USAA. It works for me. On a desktop.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brave doesn't appear to use backspace/shift-backspace to go back/forward a page. Just about a deal breaker. It is fast, though.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Try Alt+Left arrow?