Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brave browser Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
This was discussed a few pages back in the Trump thread, an alternative browser to Firefox which may be soon filtering available content.

I don't see another thread this fits into, move or delete as needs be.

I had no problem downloading and installing the latest version of Brave, imported bookmarks from Firefox.

I've left FF as my default as I play with Brave. It seems ok so far but Firefox is a mess now, add-ons gone, third party password manager not working right.

How is Brave working for you?

Brave

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Moved off Chrome to Brave, for now it's working fine no issues posting, reading, all bookmarks came over..

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Any issues porting over from Chrome & importing bookmarks, saved user/pwds?

Considering it, but need to make sure my work-related apps work on it. We have a few that work best on Chrome, so will have to test those out.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I just installed it. Imported content from both firefox and chrome. I like it so far!

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Been running Brave for about a year now. No issues, faster, less bloat-ware, good ad blocker built in.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been using Brave for a few months now. Also switched my default search engines from Google to Qwant and DuckDuckGo. Now the only thing I have left to do is switch from gmail to proton mail, but that will be quite a PITA as many website logins are attached to your email address.

Posts: 427 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I used Opera for years until they sold to a Chinese interest. Then switched to Vivaldi and then built a Linux box and came across Brave about a month ago. It's surely my favorite browser. Tor mode is pretty neat.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Still using FF on Windows; want to build more confidence. But installed on Linux and iOS. iOS: couldn't figure out how to import bookmarks from Safari. Also, can't figure out how to re-order favorites.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Installing now.

Do they have a corresponding Android app?

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Installing now.

Yessir! Been using it for a few months, and it works great.

Posts: 427 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingedMedic:
quote:
Installing now.

Yessir! Been using it for a few months, and it works great.

Thanks, will grab that as well.

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Here you go:

https://play.google.com/store/...owser&hl=en_US&gl=US

quote:
Installing now.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As noted there was some discussion in the Trump year IV thread.

I installed it last night on both my desktop and Android 8.0 phone. Imported logons, passwords, bookmarks, from FF to Brave without issues. That import function is not available in the mobile version.

No issues at all.
FWIW I have Brave 1.18.78, Firefox 84.0.2, Waterfox Classic 2020.10, and Edge 87.0.664.75 (all 64-bit flavors) on my Windows 10 [Home (x64) Build 19042.685 (20H2)] desktop. Everything functions fine in all of these. Smile

As an aside, a recent browser privacy study by Douglas Leith, professor of computer systems at Trinity University found Brave with Tor mode tops the list as best. Firefox uses optional DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) mode. Both endeavor to hide sites you visit from third parties. Tor keeps sites from knowing your IP address.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
First post from Brave (desktop).
Look & feel isn't much different to Chrome, so that's nice.

No issue porting in my Chrome bookmark & password data.

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Been running Brave for about a year now. No issues, faster, less bloat-ware, good ad blocker built in.

Ditto. We're quite happy with it.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Just started using Brave today, so far so good.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yesterday. So far so good. FAST!

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Not quite a year with Brave but its great so far. Indeed the ad blocker works great !

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
As an old dog, Brave is a new trick for me.
Kinda clumsy with it so far.

I'd be just as happy to stick with Firefox, I've got it like I want it.

Will Firefox make onerous changes for sure? FF has a lot more competition than it did, can they afford to bleed more users? Is there a chance in hell they'll do the right thing?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Was using DuckDuckGo with their Privacy Essentials extension and then found this:

"For online searches, please do not use Google, Yahoo, or Bing anymore. Some have suggested they use Duckduckgo. That's better but not best imo. Yes, you are not using the Google servers for your searches. Duckduckgo does use an archive of Google's search database. Google may not be tracking your searches in real time, but the search results may be optimized by their AI algorithms to give you targeted results that THEY want to give people to steer humans' thinking in a certain direction. For example, if you were to search on "corrupt politicians", Google's AI may give you a bunch of targeted results referring to Trump first, instead of Biden or Hilary etc. And that bias may be archived in what Duckduckgo uses. I use Qwant for a search engine which is out of France."

So I'm trying Qwant which is an option in Brave. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post