New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brave browser Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Yay bald1!

I'm having an issue with pdf files - I don't want to view them in the browser.

On a desktop, when I download a pdf, I get the little download window in the lower left corner, same as in Chrome.

When the download is finished and I click on it in the window, it opens in Brave. In Chrome it would open in my pdf reader. I can't find a setting in Brave to change that.

It's only when I launch from the little window at the bottom left. If I launch from File Explorer, the pdf opens in my reader.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
mikey,

I randomly grabbed a pdf file off the net and get this which allows me to either view it in Brave or D/L and use my preferred pdf app (PDF_XChange Editor). I did have to move my mouse to get the top bar with page numbers, D/L and print icons to show.

This help at all?

And no, I don't own this appliance. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Deleted and reinstalled.... now EVERYTHING is working! Yay! Big Grin Big Grin

It's almost sad how good it feels to sort out a computer problem but yeah, it feels so good. Cheers, bald1 Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

It's almost sad how good it feels to sort out a computer problem but yeah, it feels so good. Cheers, bald1 Smile

Thanks. Big Grin
And I'm paring my browser battery down. Just deleted Waterfox Classic after an update attempt to Generation 3 (G3.0.2) bombed loosing all my profile data. No biggie. I'm keeping Firefox 84.0.2 (hardened) as a backup to Brave. I don't count Window 10's Edge as I don't use it.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Yay bald1!

I'm having an issue with pdf files - I don't want to view them in the browser.

On a desktop, when I download a pdf, I get the little download window in the lower left corner, same as in Chrome.

When the download is finished and I click on it in the window, it opens in Brave. In Chrome it would open in my pdf reader. I can't find a setting in Brave to change that.

It's only when I launch from the little window at the bottom left. If I launch from File Explorer, the pdf opens in my reader.

There should be an up arrow next to the PDF you just downloaded in the bar at the bottom. Click the up arrow and there should be an option to "Always use Adobe Reader" or something to that effect.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I'm attempting to install Brave on my second computer which is running Windows 7. It's getting stuck at the "Connecting to the Internet" portion of the install.

I've added Brave to Windows Firewall to allow communication, and have also tried turning off Windows Firewall altogether. Still no go, it cannot complete the install.

Edit: I was able to find a standalone install file that did the trick. If you have this same issue give that a try.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I found the pdf settings in Brave buried deep under "Site and Shields Settings"

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Thanks guys. I found the pdf settings in Brave buried deep under "Site and Shields Settings"

For those curious:
Settings --> Additional --> Privacy/Security --> Site & Shield Settings --> PDF documents

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd share this FWIW. Granted extensions are very personal choices but WTH. Big Grin Brave uses Chrome extensions.

Note, no extensions work in the private with Tor browsing mode.

With so much built into Brave, these are all I've found worthwhile. As an aside I'm using Qwant as a search engine. I do have DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials inactive in my extensions. If I activate that it automatically switches the search engine to DuckDuckGo. Also it may very well be that Privacy Essentials (as well as other such extensions like Privacy Badger, Ghostery, etc.) is redundant or duplicative of the ad blocker built into Brave. And as as aside DuckDuckGo is the default search engine in Tor mode regardless of what you may have selected for normal and private (non-Tor) browsing.

I like being able to delete cookies after leaving a site. Cookie Autodelete does this providing tailored individual site capabilities including white and grey-listing. Much more flexible than Brave's built in options. UV weather is the best weather app I've found so far with a number of extra statistics. Image Tools includes a number of features beyond an EXIF viewer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Would welcome others sharing their choices of extensions. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
With Firefox you could have the bookmark panel on the side. Is there a way to add a side panel to Brave or increase the number of top site tiles on the home page?

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
With Firefox you could have the bookmark panel on the side. Is there a way to add a side panel to Brave or increase the number of top site tiles on the home page?

From the top right 3 horizonal line menu icon, select bookmarks and then bookmark manager to view a side panel.

Brave strips things down on the main page and you need to select things like this via the menu system to view instead of hitting an icon button on the toolbar. Not as convenient for sure but it works. Smile

Or there there is an extension you can use that simplifies this by adding an icon (once you pin it) to the toolbar... https://chrome.google.com/webs...fiicjkgofkdh/related

As far as top site tiles I searched that one yesterday... nope it is what it is without any customization allowed unlike Firefox. Frown

Remember I'm new to Brave too and am learning tricks and tweaks as I go. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
quote:

From the top right 3 horizonal line menu icon, select bookmarks and then bookmark manager to view a side panel.

Remember I'm new to Brave too and am learning tricks and tweaks as I go. Big Grin

Closer to what I'm looking for is go to menu then bookmarks and click on show bookmarks. This will put a bookmark folder icon under the left/right and reload buttons. Clicking on the folder causes a drop down. Further reading indicates that Chrome doesnt allow a panel to stay open on the Home page. I am like you-just learning Smile

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
triggertreat,

Have you populated an active bookmark toolbar? Mine has folders of bookmarks I can click on which allows speedy access for me to various categories in addition to frequently accessed individual sites. In the past I also had an RSS folder.

Here I've clicked on the news folder on the bookmark toolbar:

Oh and for those wondering about the "Not secure" business for SigForum. It just means the address is http and not https. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you deployed an active bookmark toolbar?

I think I can get to a working solution with a variation of that. Thanks

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I have a question.

If you've used Chrome, you know there are something like 8-10 background tasks running collecting who knows what.
So even if you're using Brave, if you haven't removed all traces of Chrome, don't you think it's still going to be able to track what you do in that browser?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've never used Chrome.... started as a Netscape user and stayed with them up to the most current version of Firefox. Did explore a "fork" with Waterfox for a couple years too. I endeavored to "harden" or enhance privacy measures with them in recent years. Never used IE or Edge.

But extensions for browsers are written by third parties and invariably scanned for malware, bots, etc. by official sites like the Chrome web store. Each may have some permissions they'll want granted if you run them. You need to check and decide for each.

So thinking they are "Chrome" is not correct. Brave is tested to be among the best for privacy although Firefox "hardened' is right up there too. My only reason for switching is because the CEO of Mozilla has come out with leftist BS drivel and a forecast of changing the browser to support anti-conservative measures.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Not extensions, parts of Chrome itself that constantly run 'under the covers'. There's an updater and a bunch of other processes.
If these are present and running, I don't see why they couldn't also track what you do in Brave, Firefox, Opera or any other browser.
Google/Chrome is quite invasive.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Bob you need to read the technical evaluations of Brave vs Chrome. Yes, both use the Chromium core for their browsers, but all that "Chrome-Google" invasive crap is stripped out / not used in Brave unlike Chrome. And you can tweak options to further enhance privacy.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I don't think you're seeing my point. I'm not talking about the origins or details of different browsers.
I'm saying I think there's a lot more in Chrome than just browser.
Google wants tracking data. I wouldn't be surprised if it could track things no matter what browser you used - providing you have Chrome installed on your machine.
If you don't have Chrome installed on the device then there's no worry.
You wouldn't find any of that published in technical specs.