New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brave browser Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Oh I understood alright and agree that Chrome data-mines the user for Google. My point is that Brave does NOT despite it being built on the same core.

As for whether Chrome can continue to data-mine by background moles if not being used but installed on someone's computer... wouldn't surprise me but as said, never had Chrome here and never investigated such.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Ok, and I do understand that Brave isn't like that.
My bottom line is that you should not have Chrome installed on your machine if you think you are going to be safer using a different browser on the same device.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'm going to pop into this PC heavy line of talk and once again say I'm loving Brave on my Android Samsung tablet (phone too but I still hate smart phones).

Yes, faster than Firefox but just so much better formatted and easy to organize. My third party password manager is happy, I have a well-tuned engine with Brave. And I'm sure there's more than a bit I've yet to find. As a cat guy, the lion icon is icing on the cake. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
FWIW I've gone back to DuckDuckGo for a search engine after trying Qwant. I found the later to be overly finnicky about inputs to get the desired results. I feel it needs further maturation at this point.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
FWIW I've gone back to DuckDuckGo for a search engine after trying Qwant. I found the later to be overly finnicky about inputs to get the desired results. I feel it needs further maturation at this point.

That's kinda how I feel about DDG. I've tried them, and so far, at least for the stuff I search for, they only really give good results for stuff that Google's trying to memory hole.

Edit: Which, to be clear, is really handy for doing political research and stuff, but not so much when I'm trying to do my usual programming/math/physics searches.

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Posts: 1552 | Location: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd share what my current extension line up is. Big Grin

No themes, just Brave's dark appearance setting.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Minor Brave question, I'm probably missing something obvious.

When a file is downloaded, a bar appears at the bottom of the Brave browser, listing downloads. That bar can be turned off in the browser but is there a way to do that in settings so it never pops up? I don't need the browser window being diminished and I don't understand the extra download window in the first place. I specify the download location in settings so I know where they'll be. Thanks.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
My bottom line is that you should not have Chrome installed on your machine if you think you are going to be safer using a different browser on the same device.

Great point.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8635 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Minor Brave question, I'm probably missing something obvious.

When a file is downloaded, a bar appears at the bottom of the Brave browser, listing downloads. That bar can be turned off in the browser but is there a way to do that in settings so it never pops up? I don't need the browser window being diminished and I don't understand the extra download window in the first place. I specify the download location in settings so I know where they'll be. Thanks.

As long as you have Brave setup to ask where downloads go before actually downloading them, that bar is not necessary. However, if someone is like my wife and doesn't have a clue where it was downloaded to, then that bar allows you to click on it and go directly to the correct location.

I have Brave ask each time, so as soon as the file is downloaded, I just close the notification bar. I've never bothered trying to turn it off permanently, but I may have to look into that! Will let you know if I find something...

Update: Just went through the "Downloads" settings and do not see any method of turning that bar off permanently. I'll just continue to close it like I always have as it only takes an additional second or two...

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

Update: Just went through the "Downloads" settings and do not see any method of turning that bar off permanently. I'll just continue to close it like I always have as it only takes an additional second or two...

Thanks for the effort. I do wish Brave had some more customization options. For example, it would be nice to have more options in the task bar than fwd, back, reload and home. I get the impression the Brave browser is being well accepted and hopefully Brave or third party extensions will build some more functionality into Brave.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I think Brave has consciously decided to strive for a lean fast package vice one with added features that may affect speed.

As an example I recall early on folks complained that the photos for the "blank screen" dashboard wouldn't allow customization. All that has been done since in recent updates is to provide new refreshed images to replace the older "stale" ones, again without any user options.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
I have been using Brave for about a year now with no problems

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Another Brave user

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Some months back I was having some issues with Firefox (which I'd gone to a few years ago from the MS browser) and my Best Friend recommended I try Brave. I did so and I've been very happy with it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think Brave has consciously decided to strive for a lean fast package vice one with added features that may affect speed.

I like that and it makes the stripped down features palatable. Any complaints I've had are about unnecessary things.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

Any evidence/cites for this? I'm ok with healthy paranoia, but I have not seen anything indicating that Google (or anyone else) can track what I'm browsing with Chrome only being installed, not used.
With Brave, the ads that I see are largely untargeted. When I use Chrome, I start to see ads targeted (phone) based on searches I've done on PC.

I have also observed the same (desired) effect with farcebook - Once I started using Brave on PC & Phone, I stopped seeing 'repeats' of browser searches in the farcebook ads. Phone only, no farcebook on PC browser. Never could quite get rid of that with deleting cookies, etc. in chrome.
I'd like to figure out how to feed farcebook false information to fuck them up. too many projects ahead of that.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

I like that and it makes the stripped down features palatable. Any complaints I've had are about unnecessary things.

Like many others, I keep an up-to-date version of Firefox available simply to be able to download YouTube videos with the Easy YouTube Video Downloader Express plug-in. Can't do that with Brave or Chrome for that matter.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

Like many others, I keep an up-to-date version of Firefox available simply to be able to download YouTube videos with the Easy YouTube Video Downloader Express plug-in. Can't do that with Brave or Chrome for that matter.

Yep, just why I keep FF but I'd sure like to dump that bloated resource hog.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use Brave on my iPhone, but all browsers and anything else that displays web content on the iOS/iPadOS are hamstrung by having to use the Apple/Safari WebKit engine. This limits alternative browsers on the iPhone, but I find Brave to be the best of the lot.

I use Vivaldi on my Macs. I just wish they had an iOS version, but they only offer an Android version for mobile use. Vivaldi is Chrome based, but is pretty much unlike Chrome itself. The UI and other options are nicely configurable.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thought I'd share what my current extension line up is. Big Grin

No themes, just Brave's dark appearance setting.

What is Mate Translate, does it convert the conversation with Single Ukrainian Women to English?

Does it help men understand the feelings and meanings of how women communicate?

Asking for a friend... Razz

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post