New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brave browser Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Oh I understood alright and agree that Chrome data-mines the user for Google. My point is that Brave does NOT despite it being built on the same core.

As for whether Chrome can continue to data-mine by background moles if not being used but installed on someone's computer... wouldn't surprise me but as said, never had Chrome here and never investigated such.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 12117 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Ok, and I do understand that Brave isn't like that.
My bottom line is that you should not have Chrome installed on your machine if you think you are going to be safer using a different browser on the same device.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 15472 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'm going to pop into this PC heavy line of talk and once again say I'm loving Brave on my Android Samsung tablet (phone too but I still hate smart phones).

Yes, faster than Firefox but just so much better formatted and easy to organize. My third party password manager is happy, I have a well-tuned engine with Brave. And I'm sure there's more than a bit I've yet to find. As a cat guy, the lion icon is icing on the cake. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 6723 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
FWIW I've gone back to DuckDuckGo for a search engine after trying Qwant. I found the later to be overly finnicky about inputs to get the desired results. I feel it needs further maturation at this point.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 12117 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
FWIW I've gone back to DuckDuckGo for a search engine after trying Qwant. I found the later to be overly finnicky about inputs to get the desired results. I feel it needs further maturation at this point.

That's kinda how I feel about DDG. I've tried them, and so far, at least for the stuff I search for, they only really give good results for stuff that Google's trying to memory hole.

Edit: Which, to be clear, is really handy for doing political research and stuff, but not so much when I'm trying to do my usual programming/math/physics searches.

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Posts: 1539 | Location: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post