SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EDIT!! Abilene Texas Offer!! Son NOT Moving To New York City/
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EDIT!! Abilene Texas Offer!! Son NOT Moving To New York City/ Login/Join 
posted
My son recently graduated from the University of Missouri (yes that liberal U)with a degree in Journalism and he is going through the 3rd round of interviews this week (skype this time). His office would be in One World Trade Center and my wife and I have never been to NYC. We do know that housing is very expensive for a very small place and he might as well forget about bringing his vehicle along as I hear parking is expensive also.
If the job does happen I will probably be calling on the power of SIGforum for the advice of certain areas of NYC for housing.I have been to many major cities in the US but not NYC and I'm assuming that you can be in a good neighborhood and then turn the corner and you are in a not so safe place.
Our son has not talked about salary yet but we are planning for about $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 a month for a shared apartment/home.
Get a place close in and pay more and walk to work or get a place out a ways and take public transportation?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SummersAtTheLake,

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
He should consider that living inside the city is not a necessity.

Look at places across the River in Hoboken or Jersey City for apartments as well as they may be cheaper. The commute is just as easy as well.

And if he must live in the city, it's frankly a fantasy to think he'll be able to afford his own place. A roommate is probably going to have to be considered. ETA: As you said, shared apartment.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Well congratulations to the new graduate. That is a fantastic opportunity if it happens. Do not be surprised if you were on the low side of your rental estimate. Two possible opportunities besides living locally would be either Brooklyn in particular Brooklyn Heights or Staten Island. Keep in mind that because of hurricane Sandy the train tunnel to New Jersey and also a tunnel to Brooklyn were damaged and need repairs. This has cause problems for the PATH trains to New Jersey and the subway to Brooklyn. You can reach Staten Island by ferry and you can reach Hoboken on the New Jersey side also by water taxi. Absolutely do not have a car in New York City. Keep in mind that New York City imposes an income tax on people working in the city even if they reside outside of the city. For a young person I would much rather live in Manhattan where there's a lot to do outside of work. Staten Island and queens can be more suburban and quieter but that's a long commute to WTC.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you're in for some culture shock. The number$ seem low.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
You want to get on any roommate type websites like craigslist and start a search immediately. I'm not up to speed on the rental market anymore but in the Northeast it was not uncommon to have to pay first month last month security deposit and a broker fee equivalent to one months rent.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Live in NJ and take the train in - otherwise, no hope of making it.

Hoboken is actually pretty trendy, and has great nightlife (my niece lives there, and works doing marketing at Disney on Times Square).

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
I think you're in for some culture shock. The number$ seem low.

The $1,500.00-$2,000.00 a month was estimated with the expectations of 2 additional roommates. I know he can easily spend much more than that but thought this might be realistic expectations.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I live in a town right on the train tracks. I can suggest several towns in this area especially if he is interested in using mass transportation.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
My daughter works a block from One World Trade Center and lives in Brooklyn. You're at the lower end of the rent range unless you go to NJ, some parts of Queens, Bronx (too far away for most people) and a few other areas. Many neighborhoods in Brooklyn are very close to Manhattan prices now, but there are still some studio apartments in older brownstones and older buildings that would be in the upper part of that price range.

If he gets the job, he should see if his future employer has a preferred apartment brokerage firm with which they work, as going directly to an apartment broker could result in him paying a commission of 2 months rent. If the company has a preferred broker, it would likely be less in commission.

It looks like there's a number of people here on SF with knowledge of the market, so hopefully we can all help you and your son in some way.

Hope he gets the job! It's a great place to start a career, and tons of fun for most 20-somethings!

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Congrats and best wishes!

The amount of rent you mentioned is way low unless he will have a few roommates. Any fellow graduates making the same move? Finding a roommate can be tricky. Insist on background checks.

Look in Brooklyn, Hoboken, Jersey City, etc. Stay wishing subway reach as the the commuter railroads are expensive.

Forget about the car, he won't need it. I did foolishly keep a car in the city when I lived there and it was $950 a month, not including tips, 15 years ago. Eek

I regret not doing what your son is doing. We moved to NYC later in life and it was harder to get into the real estate market.

Hopefully DiBlasio will get tossed out and things will get better there. As wacky as it is, it's an amazing melting pot with fast access to great restaurants, bars, music, and museums.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
I live in a town right on the train tracks. I can suggest several towns in this area especially if he is interested in using mass transportation.

How long a commute would it be?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC3S:
You want to get on any roommate type websites like craigslist and start a search immediately. I'm not up to speed on the rental market anymore but in the Northeast it was not uncommon to have to pay first month last month security deposit and a broker fee equivalent to one months rent.

An aquaitance, also fresh out of college (some 20 years now) had to scratch up about $10,000 cash to get into a building for a studio apt. Crazy.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
quote:
Originally posted by DC3S:

An aquaitance, also fresh out of college (some 20 years now) had to scratch up about $10,000 cash to get into a building for a studio apt. Crazy.

That is still the case with Brokered rentals. The fees are paid up front.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
He should consider that living inside the city is not a necessity.

Look at places across the River in Hoboken or Jersey City for apartments as well as they may be cheaper. The commute is just as easy as well.

And if he must live in the city, it's frankly a fantasy to think he'll be able to afford his own place. A roommate is probably going to have to be considered. ETA: As you said, shared apartment.

My son works in Hoboken and has been commuting there from my sister house in Clifton, maybe 30 miles west. He looked in Hoboken for quiet a while. A one bedroom shared living and bathroom were going for around $1,500/month. Living in the city is around $2,000 for a bedroom. Live outside the city and commute in by train and it is affordable.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'd live in CT and commute down for NYC, they're an AWB state but he can get his CCW easily enough.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I think that with a total of three people living there that $6k/mo. would cover rent. But I may be wrong.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
About 25 years ago I worked for Digital Equipment Corp. I rented a small apartment in a private home in a small town in NJ -- Emerson. Rent was reasonable and included a parking place for my car, which I did not use for the commute. It was a two or three minute walk to the commuter train station, which took me to (was it Hoboken?).

My office was across the street from the World Trade Center (there was an underground passageway that we used on bad weather days).

There was a ferry, across the Hudson, from NJ that I took on nice days, it docked right at the WTC. If the weather was not nice I used the PATH train; the station on the NYC side was in the WTC.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
While attending NYU about 10yrs ago a friend shared an apartment with three other students, all crammed into a small 2br, one teeny bathroom, and a shitty little kitchen. After bills they each paid about $1200/mo before groceries and entertainment and the rest.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Anything near work will likely be prohibitively expensive. Brooklyn and Jersey are less expensive (though not cheap) options. Of course, it depends on his salary and that of his roommates and how frugal he wants to be in other areas of life. Public transportation is easy and efficient if not very pleasant most of the time. Trains, ferries, subways, etc. all make getting around very easy and inexpensive. If he lived in New Jersey, I would consider having a car, but I would never take it into NYC. Just useful to have for doing things in New Jersey. I would definitely not have a car in NYC.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:

How long a commute would it be?

I sent you an email with my contact info.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post