SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EDIT!! Abilene Texas Offer!! Son NOT Moving To New York City/
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EDIT!! Abilene Texas Offer!! Son NOT Moving To New York City/ Login/Join 
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Commute for sure. CT or NJ. Unless you have a smoking deal on an apartment in the city, I'd look at commuting.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all the comments and information shared. Working in NYC would be a great opportunity for our son but it is kind of scary for us as parents.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The commute from NJ/CT will not be inexpensive. Commuter monthly rail pass will be in the hundreds..

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Contact me if you want. born and raised on the NJ side. My former home town of Secaucus has great mass transportation right into the financial District.

http://www.secaucusnj.gov/

Actually about four miles from the WTC site. Rents are a lot less than NYC.

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg...rom&selStation=38174

While JC and Hoboken are closer, they are also significantly more expensive unless you want to live in the real dump areas.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf...PlannerItineraryFrom

One other factor. Parking a car in Hoboken can run another few hundred a month. Same for JC in some areas.

I have some contacts in the real estate areas of the town.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well my son was today offered a job at one of the TV stations in Abilene, Texas and he is going to accept it. The possible job in NYC is still out there but he went ahead and took the Texas job and I have to say that I am relieved that the Abilene spot offered first.

Looks like we will be making a few trips down Texas way in the near future and less than a 10 hour drive which isn't bad.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Abilene

Poor kid.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That's good. Wimmen there don't treat you mean, in Abilene. My Abilene.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_nzmWFDAxY

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I won't step on NY, even if I'm offered 7-figure salary. Congrats to your boy for staying put, at least for now.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I won't step on NY, even if I'm offered 7-figure salary. Congrats to your boy for staying put, at least for now.

If my son would have been offered the job in NYC (and he still might be) I would have stood behind him but was not looking forward to visiting him in a large city...nothing against NYC and I have been to many of the large cities in the US when I was younger but I avoid crowds like the plague now.
My son graduated from the University of Missouri in May with a Journalism degree and he jumps right into a sports reporting job with an Abilene TV station but he has prepared for this since he was a very young boy.
We live in Missouri and I've been trying to talk my wife into moving further South and this may just be the foot in the door I needed Smile

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If he wants a career in journalism, he shouldn't even think, of someplace like Abilene. Lifestyle and even political issues aside, he'd have vastly better career development opportunities in NYC, which at this point in his life and career, should be more important.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
I mean no disrespect to Abilenians, but over the years, I've seen a lot of TV news broadcasts out of that city. Most of the newscasters and sportscasters seem to end up there for many years if not permanently. If your son likes the idea of moving to Texas, the DFW or Houston areas would be better places to start his career. If he is really good, he will get noticed in those places and have better opportunities to get offers from national TV and cable news networks.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with BBMW. At this stage career is the first priority. He can always move from NYC to Abilene but not Abilene to NYC.

Many years ago when I was fresh out of grad school and single I moved to NYC. I lived on the upper east side and commuted down to 42nd street. If I had to do it again I would live on the west side- much more fun. Of course the neighborhoods have changed so your son will have to make his own assessment if he chooses Manhattan.

In my opinion he should try Manhattan first and then move to one of the other boroughs or the burbs when/if he gets tired of it. It's where the action is (or was when I was there) and he should experience it. He needs to pick a location that has a good commute to his job- check the bus and subway routes for express runs. The subway is an oven in the summer so he will want to avoid it if he can then.

He won't need or want a car in Manhattan. Parking is terrible and outrageously expensive. It will be much more cost effective to rent whenever he travels outside the city. Sell the car and invest the proceeds.

I lived in the city for three years and would not exchange the experience for anything.

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son realizes that the NYC job would be a huge opportunity and if he is indeed offered that position also I am not sure what he will do and neither is he...my son is very talented and has great work ethics in his field and regardless of where he lands his future is bright.
Thanks for the input.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Gesh... People seem to ignore what the son may rank in determining his choice. Many decide that happiness in a locale inter alia is far more important than rungs on some career ladder in relative cesspool. Money doesn't buy peace and happiness.

Regardless I wish him and his parents well on this journey.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Maybe his career will not be as "successful" in Abilene but his quality of life will be 10X better. Fuck NYC and the Northeast. Dig a moat and tow it off into the Atlantic.

What would a person who knows Texas and NYC prefer? To spend $1,300/month to sleep on a futon in the living room of an one-bedroom apt-no car-no guns-no pet-surrounded by moral inverts-raped for taxes-liberalized women for matrimony...

Or buying a house amongst good people with the freedom from the above?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Abilene would be my preference too, if he works hard and has talent he could end up in Houston which is often the last step before going nationwide in the news reading business. Most of the folks who end up here on 2, 11, 13, 26 come from small markets.

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I was born in Abilene. It doesn't look like your part of the world out there, that's for damn sure.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better be the head of a dog than the tail of a lion.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
grew up in NY state and have visited NYC probably a couple hundred times. Vowed the last time ( a few years ago) was the last. Can't imagine how people can live like that, at any price.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Y'all should have steaks at Lytle Land & Cattle Company when your son moves down to Abilene. It's the successor to the famous Joe Allen's (husband and wife opened separate restaurants after divorce and Lytle is the better of the two) that had been well-known throughout the West Texas for many, many years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post