SIGforum
EDIT!! Abilene Texas Offer!! Son NOT Moving To New York City/

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2150000624

July 30, 2017, 07:37 PM
cparktd
EDIT!! Abilene Texas Offer!! Son NOT Moving To New York City/
Good! Congrats on Texas!
My Nephew, a musician who has done well and worked with the likes of Paul McCartney and toured with Coldplay thought he wanted to live in NY city.
That's where it's at he said...

He got a shared loft. It was burglarized, His van broken into several times, Equipment stolen. Crazy expensive.

Basically he was a well traveled young man and NY still handed him his ass.
He is back home now in Nashville to stay I think.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.
July 30, 2017, 08:12 PM
nhtagmember
quote:
Well my son was today offered a job at one of the TV stations in Abilene, Texas and he is going to accept it. The possible job in NYC is still out there but he went ahead and took the Texas job and I have to say that I am relieved that the Abilene spot offered first.

Looks like we will be making a few trips down Texas way in the near future and less than a 10 hour drive which isn't bad.

best news I heard all day

congrats Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

July 30, 2017, 09:28 PM
Herkdriver
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Y'all should have steaks at Lytle Land & Cattle Company when your son moves down to Abilene. It's the successor to the famous Joe Allen's (husband and wife opened separate restaurants after divorce and Lytle is the better of the two) that had been well-known throughout the West Texas for many, many years.

Lytle Land and Cattle is pretty good...but Perini Ranch in Buffalo Gap is much better and only 10 miles away. Check it out.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson
July 31, 2017, 11:31 AM
SummersAtTheLake
Good or bad I do appreciate the comments...I should add that our son really wants to stay involved in sports reporting which he has done for several years with a local TV station and he also covered many of the University of Missouri's football games during his college days.....ESPN and The SEC Nation Network were 2 of the major networks he was able to be a part of (albeit menial jobs but the look good on a resume). The Abilene job is sports reporting and the NYC job is not.....looks like he will get the chance to see if Friday night high school football in Texas is as big as it is made out to be.
July 31, 2017, 11:46 AM
Ox190
Abilene is a nice town, have a buddy that has a ranch down south of Abilene about 30 minutes, lots of fun to be had down in that area.
August 01, 2017, 04:35 PM
SummersAtTheLake
Looks like the wife will be heading down to Abilene with our son next Monday to help our son get settled and then I'll drive down later in the week. I'm really looking forward to a new adventure...rent prices look about like Missouri if not a little cheaper...been checking out Google maps and it looks pretty flat Smile
August 13, 2017, 07:03 AM
SummersAtTheLake
The wife went down to Abilene with our son on Monday and I followed on Wednesday with a UHaul full of furniture and we got our son settled in and came back yesterday. 642 miles one way and all major roads with mostly 75mph speed limits.

First impressions of Abilene are that I like the town and more importantly our son does also. Very friendly people everywhere we went and most seemed genuinely friendly and many would talk longer than I wanted to listen Smile

We explored the town a bit and went through the Frontier Texas Heritage Center for a bit of history of the area. Prices of everything seem about like Missouri with rent probably a little cheaper. We went to several of the high school football stadiums and they are larger than some college stadiums...our son starts his Sports Reporter job with FOX TV on Monday and he will get his introduction to Texas High School Football/Friday Nite Lights right away.

[

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SummersAtTheLake,
August 13, 2017, 09:33 AM
tatortodd
SummersAtTheLake, glad to hear everyone liked Abilene.

I lived in Midland, TX, for about 1.5 years when I was in my early twenties (2nd job out of college). West Texas people certainly were friendly, but in reality most small town Texans are friendly (big cities not quite so much but there are a lot of transplants). Did you notice the index finger waive as you passed other cars on the highway? My parents were always impressed with that when they visited small town Texas.

One thing to bear in mind in West Texas is rattlesnakes, and Abilene is 40 miles from the largest rattlesnake roundup in the world (annual festival 2nd weekend in March). I couldn't get through to my parents when they visited that they needed to look for rattlesnakes when they walked. I'd go golfing with Dad and he'd hit an errant shot into the rough (i.e. mesquite bushes) and he'd go traipsing off despite it's where rattlers like to sun themselves. We went to Carlsbad Caverns and Mom saw a cactus she wanted a picture with so I barely have the truck in park and she's already making a beeline through the scrub brush to the cactus.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
August 13, 2017, 09:51 AM
TXJIM
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
.....snip.....The Abilene job is sports reporting and the NYC job is not.....looks like he will get the chance to see if Friday night high school football in Texas is as big as it is made out to be.

Our local high school, along with its band who has it's own custom tractor trailer to haul it's gear, will be making the 6 hour drive to Odessa, TX to take on Permian HS to open the 2017 season. He should jump on I-20 West and head on out to cover the game. That should answer his question about Friday Nights Lights, lol.

August 13, 2017, 12:13 PM
Jaywendland1981
Friday night lights in small town Texas! It doesn't get any better than that. I loved keeping up with friday night football and watching any games we could with my dad. The rivalries are fierce, the games are always exciting and the audience is great. It may not be big and mainstream but Texas is pretty damn big and his reporting will get attention statewide.

There will be whores, tits and sex.
August 13, 2017, 12:34 PM
mr kablammo
Good to know that something went right in the world somewhere. Even better that it is you and your family.

Football is big in Texas. The half-time show, for one team, could be a spectacle that a college would envy. The state championship games are played at the Cowboy's domed stadium and broadcast. Back when I had tv I would watch the Fox late night state report.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
August 13, 2017, 12:58 PM
Ox190
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
.....snip.....The Abilene job is sports reporting and the NYC job is not.....looks like he will get the chance to see if Friday night high school football in Texas is as big as it is made out to be.

Our local high school, along with its band who has it's own custom tractor trailer to haul it's gear, will be making the 6 hour drive to Odessa, TX to take on Permian HS to open the 2017 season. He should jump on I-20 West and head on out to cover the game. That should answer his question about Friday Nights Lights, lol.

If you go to Odessa for the game hit up La Margarita on S. Grant. Get the red stacked enchiladas with a fried egg on top. I was raised in Odessa, graduated from Odessa High, so I hope your school beats the pants off Permian.
August 13, 2017, 01:03 PM
flashguy
Football is a religion in Texas. No further comment necessary.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
August 13, 2017, 03:57 PM
msfzoe
Your son made a wise choice not relocating to the Rotten Apple.
I was born there and spent the first 35 years of my life in that craphole.
Now, retired, I reside in a small, upstate NY community where the cows outnumber the people.
August 13, 2017, 04:54 PM
recoatlift
quote:
Looks like the wife will be heading down to Abilene with our son next Monday to help our son get settled and then I'll drive down later in the week. I'm really looking forward to a new adventure...rent prices look about like Missouri if not a little cheaper...been checking out Google maps and it looks pretty flat Smile

Congrats to your son, Summers @ the Lake!
Here's a tune for ya! GBR!
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Q3RF3nbreBE [/FLASH_VIDEO]