SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Input from Graphic Artist or Other Knowledgeable Folks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Input from Graphic Artist or Other Knowledgeable Folks Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking for a computer program that can select an image by it's outline to copy and manipulate.

For example if I have a shape of a number I want to select just the outline of the number and then be able to copy and paste it again and again, but also change the fill color, orientation etc.

I want to make a pattern of overlapping numbers in different colors, but I need to select just the number, and not any excess background like a simple select and cut would do.

Is there a program that can recognize a border of two different colors and select only the 1 color which will then allow me to copy and paste it and ultimately change it's fill color and orientation too?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Photoshop CS 5 and earlier versions have the "Magic Wand" tool. Works well for what you described. Often older versions PS show up on ebay. There may be other programs that work the same way, but I am not familiar with them.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used Adobe Photoshop since the late 90's.
I'm sure you could walk in to a Office Depot and buy something that would also work.

This would probably do what you want.
https://www.officedepot.com/a/...1-Premiere-Elements/

Posts: 110 | Location: florida | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is using this function in photoshop pretty easy? I'm quite computer literate, but have never used a graphics program before.

If not are there forums that can help me out or youtube videos etc?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
Is using this function in photoshop pretty easy? I'm quite computer literate, but have never used a graphics program before.

If not are there forums that can help me out or youtube videos etc?
Yes it's very easy. You can set a number value for how much it will grab. If you have 2 completely different colors you can set it at 100% an it will only grab the color you clicked on.

If you have two similar colors you might try 50% and it will grab most of it. Then hold shift down and click on the areas it didn't grab so it adds to the original.

Posts: 3918 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 is almost all of the much more expensive Photoshop and is on sale now for $59. It also has the magic wand tool and is easy to use including tutorials.
https://commerce.adobe.com/che...FF370F3253AF&lang=en

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see photoshop offered as part of a monthly fee "creative cloud" program.

Is there just a standalone program?

Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Gimp is a good option also. Photoshop is now subscription only.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
What you really need is Illustrator which works with vector images. Type the number one and then select and then "create outlines" This converts the vector type to vector outlines that can be filled with whatever color you need and can also be resized without loss of quality. You can find older versions of Illustrator for sale on Ebay and other such sights. You want CS2 or newer (CS3, CS4,CS5). A little learning curve but the average computer literate user can muddle through the basic functions.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inkscape--
FREE and is good for Vector drawing.
https://inkscape.org/
Take Care--

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I use Vectric VCarve Pro software for my CNC for all my bit map conversions and programming new vectors for carving...it’s easy to use although a little pricey.....I’m sure some of the cheaper or free programs mentioned would suit your needs once you learn to navigate what your trying to accomplish

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
https://pixlr.com/e/

Free. Similar to Photoshop.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post