SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to Blue Ridge GA - appreciate any tips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to Blue Ridge GA - appreciate any tips Login/Join 
Vicariously Tactical
Picture of Mike729
posted
Going for five days with the wife (long weekend).

Will be staying in a cabin in Blue Ridge, GA. Never been to the area.

Must do, must see, must eat and any other tips highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts: 1715 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: August 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Brasstown Bald, the highest point in GA. You can see all the surrounding states.
Pooles BBQ in Ellijay.
Dahlonega, the first gold rush in the US.
Hiking and lots of outdoors activity if you like that.
Alexanders, outside of Blairsville. You can buy everything you would ever need including a decent firearms selection.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots to see and do...

If you like to hike, you can hit a couple miles of the Appalachian Trail. We hiked up to a waterfall (3 Falls?), made for a nice afternoon.

I'd skip the train ride (leaves downtown, takes you to another little town East of there). Train ride was nice, but then you're left to walk around the other town (without much to see or do, I thought).

- Brian

--------------------
||| P226R (.40) ||| P6 ||| P320 X5 ||| SP2022 (.40) |||

Posts: 411 | Location: Northeast Florida | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We go up all the time. My parents have a cabin up there on Aska river, so we are just outside of town.

My suggestions:

Visit Mercier Orchards to say you did it, get a little snack while there.

Walk around downtown at least once.

Have a local beer at Black Bear Bier Garten - and get a beer cheese pretzel.

If you can, check out SWAN drive in. The people there are super nice, and ever time we go we see a great movie with shooting stars overhead.

Donate stuff (blankets and stuffed animals) to this local shop called Blue Ridge Cotton Company. Amazing couple of guys own the place and they collect items for Project Chimps refuge in the area.

Visit Aska river, even though it'll be cold.

Check in the local Ace Hardware at the gun counter (they give good deals if asked politely).

Enjoy the mountain air.

That's all I can suggest without it being too touristy and time wasting.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Sidetrip to Helen (alpine village is always fun) try Hofers bakery restaurant.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have enjoyed this place a couple of different times.

Welcome to the Hike Inn.

A backcountry lodge, a gateway to the Appalachian Trail, and one of Georgia’s most distinctive state park destinations.

From the experienced Appalachian Trail “thru-hiker” to the family seeking a unique weekend getaway, the Hike Inn’s secluded location allows a wide range of people to enjoy the peace and beauty of the mountains without the trappings of modern life.

http://hike-inn.com

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The region has some beautiful wineries within an hours drive or so. Definitely check them out if you are into wine at all.

Otherwise, the natural beauty is where it's at. Weather should be beautiful. There's good trout fishing, hiking trails, waterfalls, etc.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Amicalola Falls is beautiful.
I live just down the street from there.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I have a cabin on Blue Ridge Lake and can offer some suggestions.
Modestglock is right about Merciers, be sure you go .
There is a train to McCaysville that can be fun.

For dining upscale there is Harvest , Black Sheep, and Christy Lee's.

There are several places in town for drinks and food. Pizza at Blue Jeans is pretty good and salads are great. Joe's BBQ is the best but can sell out by dinner.

The Toccoa river restaurant on Aska road is a nice venue. Trout there is good and a nice view of the river.

The lake is still low but the marina (only one) rents pontoons and a cruise up the lake is still fun.

My email is in my profile if you'd like more.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
I live a few miles east of Blue Ridge. Take an afternoon and walk around town and visit the local shops. The Serenity Cafe in town has a good lunch, the tuna salad salad and fish and chips are very good. As mentioned Mercier Orchards and the Ace Hardware gun shop. East of town on the highway is Tank World, you can drive a tank and crush a car if so inclined. If you want to hike check out the Trout Adventure Trail, Lots of good local info at the Chamber of Commerce. Many waterfalls in the area. The old courthouse in Blairsville is a museum of local history. Meeks Park in Blairsville is a great park with great walking trails and a beautiful creek running thru the middle of it. Alexanders would be a bit of a drive for you but it's an interesting old store with quality goods of all kinds and a very good gun shop(the Bloomingdales of the mountains). Feel free to e mail me if you want more info.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Following th is thread...my wife met some nice people from there a few years back and we have been meaning to go visit...

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Plus 1 for the Toccoa River Restaurant and Helen. Try the local BBQ joints. If you get as far as Dahlonega, check out NGU and the nearby copper mine.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Amicalola Falls is worth the time, go to the lodge up top, I'd drive LOL no way I'd walk that thing from the bottom to the top.

http://www.gastateparks.org/AmicalolaFalls

Make sure its not cloudy when you head up to brasstown bald, or all you'll see are clouds..

Helen has some good german restaurants and beer, blueridge bavaria is the theme...

http://www.helenga.org/

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vicariously Tactical
Picture of Mike729
posted Hide Post
Thank you all VERY much for the tips and suggestions. Needless to say this forum is better than any and all travel guides and I trust my fellow members implicitly.

That's the beauty of this place, there's always someone who's "been there, done that" no matter what the place, topic or situation not to mention the straight up, no BS answers!

"hey, I'm going to Timbuktu next week and need tips, and sure as sh..t someone will chime in with first hand experience!! Cool

Anyone able to catch lunch, dinner or a beverage (on me) please let me know! We'll arrive Thursday late at night and stay until Monday about noon.

I'll take and post some pics, however, don't expect modestglock26 quality photos! Big Grin

Posts: 1715 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: August 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
If you get to Dahlonega, stop in and say hi to Ryan Grizzle.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cucina Rustica, just down 515 towards Blairsville. Excellent Italian. Get the lamb pops.

Fried pies at Mercier.

I like E Quinn Bookseller, downtown. Ed sold the place and finally retired, but still cool.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Lemme know what day and I'll mow the range!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
It was beautiful this weekend. How did you and the missus enjoy your stay?

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post