SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Been on a prime rib kick recently (updated with fishmonger stuff)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Been on a prime rib kick recently (updated with fishmonger stuff) Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Been on something of a prime rib kick lately. Favor the approach The Pioneer Woman uses (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/prime-rib/) for crust and cooking. Got a 8 lb short end, bone in, loosened and tied from the Commissary for ~ $64 and a more recently nice whole 17 pounder bone in on sale in town plus additional discounts for less than $5/lb. Smile South Dakota is a great beef and bison area!

Cut it up into thirds. Roasted one piece, freezing the other two.

Enjoyed it rare with jasmine rice, baby scallops in lemon butter sauce, and cucumbers in blueberry balsamic vinegar. Finished up with fresh strawberries and a nice B&B on the rocks. Works for me!

The leftovers that aren't going to be consumed in a couple days are cut into very thick slabs and individually frozen. I find if they are heated up slow at a low heat they don't "cook" retaining their rare-medium rare characteristics and flavor. And of course cold it makes a great sandwich. This last 3 rib roast had no leftovers.

For an old fart empty nest retiree this shit can't be beat!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Wow! That looks amazing. Love me some rare-medium rare meat. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Baby scallops, wow!

And the meat price per pound sounds pretty good too.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Damn fine looking meal! It's 11:00 and it's making me hungry!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Great looking meal and nice prices on the prime rib. Yep the Dakota's are beef country and you can find some nice prices on good cuts. Some of the steak houses out there are awesome.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But I didn't see any ground Horseradish to enhance the beef flavor even more!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
But I didn't see any ground Horseradish to enhance the beef flavor even more!!

I'm allergic to horseradish. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
That looks delicious! The price is fantastic too!
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I find if they are heated up slow at a low heat they don't "cook" retaining their rare-medium rare characteristics and flavor.
I found that tip too in the last couple years, but can't remember if I found it here or Amazing Ribs. I preheat the oven, stick my Maverick thermometer in the meat, and reheat the meat back to original cook temp (e.g. 131 for leftover prime rib).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As an aside and to counterbalance the great meat prices, here's what we pay in South Dakota for high quality fresh fish flown in from all over the world. Yes this area has an outstanding fishmonger (wholesale to restaurants and retail to the public https://www.facebook.com/dakotaseafood/). Folks forget we have well over 2 million tourists visit each year and although Rapid City is of only 65k we have many many businesses that help cater to tourist needs.

FWIW I picked up some New Zealand ORA King Salmon - “wagyu of salmon” ($31.94/lb), Orange Marlin Striped steaks ($25.10/lb), as well as pair of their made in house 1/2 lb each lump crab cakes (@ $7 ea) that are every bit as good as the best I've had on Chesapeake Bay. At least I get a 10% discount being retired military. Smile

Amended to help with the prices:
--hamachi @ $18.80
--orange marlin @ $25.10
--sole @ $16.38
--sculpin @ $24.53
--Ahi @ $34.50
--ORA king salmon @ $31.94
--bluenose @ $31.94
Obviously they also have a huge variety of other seafood as well as an unreal assortment of seasoning / spices / condiments (including a wide Japanese assortment), charcuterie, cheeses, oils, even foie gras. Their facebook photos show a lot.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I can't read the prices in your pic the eyes are too old. We are in a tourist town of less than 100,000 but we don't have any high end fish mongers. Actually there is only one place where you can get any decent selection of fresh fish and it's rather expensive. I think fresh halibut runs $30 a lb.

Same with beef and pork cuts. Nothing really top shelf to choose from. We have a local independent grocery who specializes in buying cheap and selling high. He has little to no competition so you can only buy what he wants to sell you. At his prices.

So I've taken to buying my high end cuts of meat online from places like Snake River Farms or Creek Stone.

I envy you Bald1 for having such great variety at decent prices.

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I can't read the prices in your pic the eyes are too old.

Amended my post above with the prices of the fish shown in the photo. Sorry about that as I didn't want to post the full sized photo.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Kinda curious. I figured our fish prices are high because of the need to fly the stuff fresh into the middle of the country.

What are folks paying in other areas?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Kinda curious. I figured our fish prices are high because of the need to fly the stuff fresh into the middle of the country.

What are folks paying in other areas?

I pay similar for fresh fish, only buy on special occasions usually. Occasionally we head to The Wharf which is a little fresh fish market off Maine Ave and 395 in DC. Last trip was for two King Crab Legs (frozen) and scallops (fresh) walked away spending $80 for the seafood.

Made fresh Fettuccine Alfredo and ate the crabs on Saturday and scallops on Sunday. These legs were huge. If was fun folding them into the pot to steam. Best ones I ever had.

I would never guess you had access to that kind of fresh fish in S. Dakota.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Looking good Jesse! Those legs are indeed huge! Big Grin

Interesting that your prices and mine are similar.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I would never guess you had access to that kind of fresh fish in S. Dakota.

Here are a couple more older shots of their display cases.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I'd have to go to the liberal haunts of Minneapolis to find fish displays like what you guys are posting pics of. I catch my own walleye and pan fish up here.
Truth be told given all the money I have invested in fishing gear including electronics, ice shelters, etc. etc. those walleye's and pan fish are probably running me $500 a lb!! Big Grin

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Walleye makes for some fine eating. It's the South Dakota State Fish too! Big Grin
Vermont and Minnesota also have made it "their" fish. hahahahahahahaha

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Made my own rib roasts last night, my were just a bit smaller, racks of lamb. Invited a long time friend over. Lamb was coated in paste made of 1/4 onion, lots of garlic, lots fresh rosemary and basil, S&P, and enough EVOO and vinegar to make a paste in the blender to coat them in.

They were then vacuum sealed and sous vided at 135° for 2.5 hrs. Then it went on the smokey Joe over kingsford and chunks from my pear tree seared to perfection. We served it with roasted veggies, pasta salad and snowflake rolls. Not bad for a Wednesday night. Buddy loved the lamb, came out perfect. Didn't get any pictures of a full plate. Food was disappearing by the time I snapped this pic.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
O U T S T A N D I N G !!!!!!!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
That is a fine looking meal skins! Good luck to your Caps I was glad to see them tie the series up last night.

Say Bald1 you do know Minnesota is the Walleye capital of the world right? You do know that? Razz

Plan on fishing your state one day. We go to Devils Lake in North Dakota every winter ice fishing and get those beautiful jumbo perch which is every bit as good eating as a walleye imo.

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Made my own rib roasts last night, my were just a bit smaller, racks of lamb. Invited a long time friend over. Lamb was coated in paste made of 1/4 onion, lots of garlic, lots fresh rosemary and basil, S&P, and enough EVOO and vinegar to make a paste in the blender to coat them in.

They were then vacuum sealed and sous vided at 135° for 2.5 hrs. Then it went on the smokey Joe over kingsford and chunks from my pear tree seared to perfection. We served it with roasted veggies, pasta salad and snowflake rolls. Not bad for a Wednesday night. Buddy loved the lamb, came out perfect. Didn't get any pictures of a full plate. Food was disappearing by the time I snapped this pic.

That looks fantastic! I’m going to have to try it!

Do you have any measurements for that coating?

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post