SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    when will we see a huge change in retail customer service?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

when will we see a huge change in retail customer service? Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
For some reason Costco and BJs seem to be getting by.

BJs will ALWAYS be popular....wait, that's a store?!!?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's a matter of seeing the light as much as it is a changing business model forced by the economy. There are niche markets where brick and mortar can't be replaced. A retailer that sells a specialized or expensive product that one feels the need to physically lay hands on before purchasing.

Things like musical instruments. There's no way to know how a guitar will sound or feel without actually picking it up. In archery, a big box store will not carry high end target bows or have a staff that is knowledgable in target archery like a specialized archery shop. Then comes the whole business model of being able to tune and service a bow, build and fletch arrows, etc., skills the average customer probably doesn't have. There's a small local hardware store here that has a fantastic selection of specialized hardware. Great for when I need something now and can't wait a few days to order from McMaster Carr.

Years ago when Cabela's had a single retail store in Sydney, Nebraska we made the annual guy pilgrimage and drove 3 hours from Denver just to go. We'd hold off on our major purchases of outdoor gear until we made that trip. I bought a pair of US made Danner insulated hunting boots there. The sales associate took a lot of time talked with me about the terrain I hunted in, my style of hunting and what time of year I hunted. Based on that he brought out a few pair that he recommended I try for comfort. All in all the process took 2-3 hours, I still have the boots and they are my go to boots for cold weather hunting.

Fast forward to today when Cabela's has stores across the country. I go into the store here in Glendale, AZ and their footwear department is half the size of the one in Sydney and it's staffed by part time high school kids who haven't a clue. Not only that the merchandise has changed from premium name brands to mostly Cabela's rebranded stuff made in China.

There's been a shift of valuing quality to valuing price. We've gone from valuing a blued steel and walnut Winchester Model 70 to prioritizing the low price of a plastic stocked Ruger American. The retail business model is changing. Retailers have got to offer a product, service or knowledge that isn't available online.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11760 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
when was the last time you made a big purchase without doing any research?

who needs a salesman who's only somewhat familiar with the product you're interested in?

Well said. The internet has changed so many things. We’re not going backwards

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
We’ve seen it. The economy has changed and way too large a percentage of folks (across the economic spectrum) care more about price than anything else. Try to find a real craftsman to do work. It won’t be easy. Shopping is just a reflection of this macro trend.

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I think when it comes to health brick and mortars are still king. Will getting your meds online is fine having a face to face consultation with your pharmacist is indispensable. Vets and pet stores also fall into this category for me.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
We’ve seen it. The economy has changed and way too large a percentage of folks (across the economic spectrum) care more about price than anything else. Try to find a real craftsman to do work. It won’t be easy. Shopping is just a reflection of this macro trend.

There's a lot of truth to this and I think the fault for much of this behavioral change is in marketing. People have been lead to believe they can afford to buy things that they really have no business buying. They've been convinced that many luxuries are in fact necessities and their demand has forced manufacturers to give the appearance of what has been demanded without all of the features and with little of the original quality. The reality is that people now value style much more than substance and has resulted in a race to the bottom.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5575 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely depends on the item. I want to touch and feel and even smell my steaks fish and chicken and vegetable purchases At the market. I MUST go to a gun store for their FFL and when I’m there try to buy a small item here and there to support them when I know I can buy it all cheaper elsewhere. Because the next closest FFL is 20 minutes away and not as friendly.

Also noted is the professional services and opportunity cost of my time. Im making a bit of money and have kids and other heavy demands on my time when not at work. I use a CPA becuse i don’t want to spend xx hours in April trying to do it myself. I use a lawn guy who may or may not be of legal residency status. I pay him cash and he comes the next day after I txt him. Same with my oil changes I could go buy all the stuff myself and do it but spend 3x the time vs the dealer when I was young and single and I valued money over time that was an acceptable option. Other items are just commodity and the cheapest place is the cheapest place. Tax free and Delivered in 2 days is better most of the time.

It really depends on the item being sold.

Posts: 4752 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to come down to value. What value are B&M stores providing? Some have knowledgeable staff, some have great return policies, and some work with products that need physical interaction to purchase. Some provide no extra value and compete only on price and the convenience of having items in stock.

For example, Bed, Bath, and Beyond has great customer service, so we recently purchased got a slow cooker from them so it's easier to return if it breaks within the warranty. A local pet store researches dog foods and recommends the best options based on our needs. Since they're staying knowledgeable and have been helpful to us, I'm willing to pay a bit higher prices for their dog foods to support them.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only change you will see in retail customer service is for the worst . Employees are expensive and hard to deal with . My wife is in retail management and her employees drive her insane . Corporate policies and local HR managers just make it worse . Online sales will continue to increase for a lot of reasons .

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
I don't believe anyone mentioned the biggest downside to buying online.

You research what you need, know exactly what model/number it should be- you find one online and order it.
You think everyone is peachy and then you find out when you get the package that the picture they showed (and the number) were wrong and they sent you the incorrect part.
Now you have to live the "sending back something purchased online" nightmare.

I'll buy local anytime they have something in stock and the price isn't crack-smoking high. (Unfortunately lately it seems that usually prices in many brick and mortar locations ARE crack-smoking high...).

Well amazon for one makes it super easy to send something back. Just click return and print out the shipping label. Take it to UPS store and when they scan the label the money is automatically refunded. It’s super easy and convenient. I ordered a Trijicon RMR from Amazon and the one I got had been used. The battery was installed and dead. I used an amazon gift card. I called amazon and explained this...they put the funds back on the gift card before I returned the used one and upgraded my shipp Not to next day for free. Had the new RMR in my hand the next day. No fuss no muss. I have had more trouble returning faulty merchandise at local retailers before.

Dusty78, you are right- I have no beef nor complaint with Amazon and their return policy. I will say that I have noticed many more items that give you a "get it in 2 days" banner UNTIL you click on the item and then you discover it is a third-party delivery. But I did get the correct item.

The ones I have had challenges in dealing with are the chain stores that allow you to ship to the store. Several times now they presented the delivered item that did not match the description. I'm being diplomatic and giving them another chance-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:...so that customers will actually prefer to go in to a brick and mortar store. ...

When they put hitching posts in front and a place for horse and wagon.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post