SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    when will we see a huge change in retail customer service?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

when will we see a huge change in retail customer service? Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Everyday people have no idea of overhead. If they do walk into a brick & mortar store, they want a very knowledgeable staff member to bend over backwards to answer every single question, no matter how inane. Then they want free delivery, setup, and product training.
They also want all of this for the same, if not lower price of the Internet “competition”.
They have no inkling what it takes to pay staff, TRAIN staff, keep an inventory, and keep the lights on.
And honestly, they don’t care.
They honestly do NOT care if you are there for the next purchase, or for support/service down the line, as long as they got “a deal”.

They will absolutely come in, ask questions of the staff (keeping said staff from possibly helping PAYING customers) and then go home and jump on Amazon. All in their twisted rendition of “The Art of the Deal”.

I’m the opposite. I already probably know more about the item then the salesperson so all I want you to do is point me to the item, then to the cash register without making any inane small talk. Nothing is more infuriating then walking into a store and every 3 feet being asked by someone if “there’s anything they can do to help you.” Why yes...you can let me buy what I came for without the constant interruptions.

Not trying to be a smartass, but do you know everything about everything?
What if you are working on a project with which you aren’t familiar with the ins and outs?

It’s not always buying electronics or appliances.

Do you know all the adapters & widgets associated with plumbing? Or electrical work? Or remodeling?
What about making your yard grow?
How about keeping those show rabbits alive and healthy that your kid wants to show in 4H?

And no, EVERYTHING isn’t as far away as google. Sometimes you need someone with intimate, working knowledge of how things work in your area.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
B&M retail is dying out, some slower than others.

For those of us that are successful you have to provide excellent customer service and that service has to be worth paying for. They also want the best products for their pet's need and a fair price. It's not only about customer service.

So far we are okay but I don't see easy times for our store beyond our planned exit date. My wife and I have a combined 75 years of business experience, hard to replace that.

It helps to be in a fast growing niche. People have humanized their pets, thankfully. :+) So far our customers are very loyal, they prefer to shop locally and we take really good care of them.

The only retail I'd consider investing in would be dry cleaners, liquor stores and pet stores.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:

And no, EVERYTHING isn’t as far away as google. Sometimes you need someone with intimate, working knowledge of how things work in your area.

Snip
Well said!

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Everyday people have no idea of overhead. If they do walk into a brick & mortar store, they want a very knowledgeable staff member to bend over backwards to answer every single question, no matter how inane. Then they want free delivery, setup, and product training.
They also want all of this for the same, if not lower price of the Internet “competition”.
They have no inkling what it takes to pay staff, TRAIN staff, keep an inventory, and keep the lights on.
They honestly do NOT care if you are there for the next purchase, or for support/service down the line, as long as they got “a deal”.

They will absolutely come in, ask questions of the staff (keeping said staff from possibly helping PAYING customers) and then go home and jump on Amazon. All in their twisted rendition of “The Art of the Deal”.

I’m the opposite. I already probably know more about the item then the salesperson so all I want you to do is point me to the item, then to the cash register without making any inane small talk. Nothing is more infuriating then walking into a store and every 3 feet being asked by someone if “there’s anything they can do to help you.” Why yes...you can let me buy what I came for without the constant interruptions.

What if you are working on a project with which you aren’t familiar with the ins and outs?

Do you know all the adapters & widgets associated with plumbing? Or electrical work? Or remodeling?
How about keeping those show rabbits alive and healthy that your kid wants to show in 4H?

Yeah that’s just not me. Projects around the house, someone gets hired to do them. I value me free time way to much to be doing work when I’m not at work. The only exception is working on guns which I enjoy. For things I buy regularly guns, electronics, cars I already know more than the salesman 95% of the time. For instance today I test drove a new Stingray Corvette and had to show the “salesman” how to pop the doors open. The few questions I did have were met with “our corvette expert will be along shortly to answer that for you.” Google answered all my questions and I didn’t wait for the expert. Are there instances where other people need expertise from a salesman...sure. That’s just not me. I don’t care how plumbing works or how to fix my AC.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah that’s just not me. Projects around the house, someone gets hired to do them. I value me free time way to much to be doing work when I’m not at work. The only exception is working on guns which I enjoy. For things I buy regularly guns, electronics, cars I already know more than the salesman 95% of the time. For instance today I test drove a new Stingray Corvette and had to show the “salesman” how to pop the doors open. The few questions I did have were met with “our corvette expert will be along shortly to answer that for you.” Google answered all my questions and I didn’t wait for the expert. Are there instances where other people need expertise from a salesman...sure. That’s just not me. I don’t care how plumbing works or how to fix my AC.

You can actually find those online though too. I changed my thermocoupler this year AFTER the guy showed up and said he didn't have a part and I have to get it from Whirlpool directly. SO he leaves unpaid, I call whirlpool, get the part number, they tell me the guy is full of shit, I pick one up at homedepot, go to youtube and install the part.

There is A LOT of stuff online and it only continues to expand, I would guess you can find the answer 99% of the time. And for that 1% of the time you walk into a store and ask a guy then leave and go buy the stuff online.

Ooohh theres a million dollar idea for ya. An app that connects you with an instant expert on the area you need. Video chat so you can see it all. You're welcome sigforum.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Dusty78...I’m not picking on you, really. Smile
So you use local people to do the stuff you don’t want to do yourself. That’s fine, I’m the same way.
But...do you want those local to have the parts you need? Or have them tell you to wait a few days while they order them? Or you order the parts and have them install them? (
*And hope you got the right part....I’ve had that happen to me personally. I let a customer talk me into to letting them order the parts, that was a nightmare I won’t be repeating...*

Another ripple effect....how much markup do expect this contractor/handyman/service rep to make for using his product/project knowledge to have/get the right part?

When I had my PC/networking business, i tried to have common components “in stock”. Carrying any inventory in that business is dangerous. When I did have to order equipment, it might take several hours to track down the proper thingy with the right widgets. Should I not have gotten paid for that time?

This is all a very complex subject. And very few parallels can be drawn across different business types, or even different business models.

Certain business will make it, some won’t.
Some will flourish, some will stagnate.

I, for one, lament the loss or some our local mom & pop stores. Some are still open, but there is no next generation to carry on since profit margins are often too low to make it attractive to heirs or buyers.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, where will all the teens hang out

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
So, where will all the teens hang out

On their phone, in social media, augemented and eventually virtual reality. They are the most social generation ever. The only thing that has changed is the medium.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you worked retail and interacted with the general public?

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
http://www.thegazette.com/subj...t-40-stores-20171116

A fella mentioned at breakfast that over 190 retail stores have closed since january 1.

so I am wondering when retailers will see the proverbial light and start changing their ways ,
so that customers will actually prefer to go in to a brick and mortar store.

I think the some of the family owned stores are already starting to embrace the old time "customer comes first" mentality .

but these stores with two board members for every sales floor employee , are done for

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
At this rate, Amazon and the like will not be needed in the future either. Why have a middleman?

Once the only way to purchase a product is via the internet, the manufacturers will simply sell direct.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm in the camp that doesn't require the 'services' provided by retail sales associates. I would be happy to buy from the manufacturer.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Some just don't need help at the local store.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
If a lamp appeared in front of me and after rubbing said lamp a genie popped out and granted me 3 wishes, I'm fairly certain that one of my wishes would be to completely eliminate internet commerce. If I want to buy something, I want it now, not in 2 days or even tomorrow. I want to be able to hol, feel, smell, etc what I'm spending my money on before I buy it. I don't like to shop based upon price alone, and I think people that do are really missing out on the bigger picture. As it is now, I generally only buy things on amazon that I can't reasonably acquire locally.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I don't believe anyone mentioned the biggest downside to buying online.

You research what you need, know exactly what model/number it should be- you find one online and order it.
You think everyone is peachy and then you find out when you get the package that the picture they showed (and the number) were wrong and they sent you the incorrect part.
Now you have to live the "sending back something purchased online" nightmare.

I'll buy local anytime they have something in stock and the price isn't crack-smoking high. (Unfortunately lately it seems that usually prices in many brick and mortar locations ARE crack-smoking high...).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
On occasion I will need something immediately, like an auto part for my old truck I am working on, but most of the time I have no problem ordering something on line and waiting two days.

The market place has changed and I think mostly for the better.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
I don't believe anyone mentioned the biggest downside to buying online.

You research what you need, know exactly what model/number it should be- you find one online and order it.
You think everyone is peachy and then you find out when you get the package that the picture they showed (and the number) were wrong and they sent you the incorrect part.
Now you have to live the "sending back something purchased online" nightmare.

I'll buy local anytime they have something in stock and the price isn't crack-smoking high. (Unfortunately lately it seems that usually prices in many brick and mortar locations ARE crack-smoking high...).

Well amazon for one makes it super easy to send something back. Just click return and print out the shipping label. Take it to UPS store and when they scan the label the money is automatically refunded. It’s super easy and convenient. I ordered a Trijicon RMR from Amazon and the one I got had been used. The battery was installed and dead. I used an amazon gift card. I called amazon and explained this...they put the funds back on the gift card before I returned the used one and upgraded my shipp Not to next day for free. Had the new RMR in my hand the next day. No fuss no muss. I have had more trouble returning faulty merchandise at local retailers before.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My major beef with a lot of brick and mortar is they don't stock any quantity anymore. Go to the Detroit Diesel dealer and want 4 secondary fuel filters, they only have 2 in stock. etc. etc.

I prefer brick and mortar so much more than online. I want to make sure what I am buying is the exact part I need. I don't want to wait 3 days for something I need now. etc. etc.

Brick and mortar though will never be replaced by online, but the types of brick and mortar are changing. Some things are very efficient online......renting movies for example.....just go on vudu.....a lot of things just aren't like plumbing parts. But I also hate how brick and mortar will just hire any idiot that doesn't know what the heck they're selling.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
When?

Well, I'll be the radical of the group and say that as soon as the percentage or B&M shoppers that are complete assholes decreases enough, then maybe you'll get some salespeople that care about whether they live or die.

Maybe.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the next time I am offered an extended warranty I will say no, and if you ask me again I will walk and not buy anything. The annoying warranty offer on everything is getting ridiculous.

They are driving customers away with the hassles...

I haven't met many retail sales people who knew anything about their products. The made up answers, lies, and other BS I've heard is mind boggling. Make a sale, who cares if the info is correct seems to be the attitude.

It gets better in some retail - like a really good person helping you select clothes and fit them at a REAL mens' store. Or the girl at the ladies store helping you buy something for a girlfriend...

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
IMO the B&M problems started with the advent of big box stores. I was in retail hardware sales from age 16, starting in 1984. The first store was a mom and pop, but with a pretty good selection and a salesperson to greet every customer and help the find every single thing they needed, provide advice, walk them to the register and ring them up. Then Home Depot, Wal Mart, Sams etc. came to town. There was also a big economic downturn, and that store withered away to nothing. People were shopping elsewhere, for cheaper prices.

The next store I worked in was also family owned, but much bigger, and well known in the area as the place likely to have what you need, with very good service. But alas Home Depot, and also Lowes, built stores within a 15-minute drive, and the customers that did still "shop" mostly only came to us for promotional items, advice and small-ticket items. One memorable asshole would expect an employee to spend anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes with him on the fastener aisle, determining the size of every bolt and nut he needed and tagging and bagging them for him. Most sales for him were $5 or less. I don't recall ever seeing him buy a tool, a lawnmower, a faucet, etc. I'm sure he bought those things somewhere other than our store. The customers preferred a lower price over good service, plain and simple. That store closed in 2004.

My point being, I think big boxes conditioned people prioritize price over service, and to expect to have to do their own research regarding product knowledge. Had Amazon come along before the big box stores, I'm not sure it would have survived, or at least become the behemoth it now is.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post