SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    when will we see a huge change in retail customer service?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

when will we see a huge change in retail customer service? Login/Join 
posted
http://www.thegazette.com/subj...t-40-stores-20171116

A fella mentioned at breakfast that over 190 retail stores have closed since january 1.

so I am wondering when retailers will see the proverbial light and start changing their ways ,
so that customers will actually prefer to go in to a brick and mortar store.

I think the some of the family owned stores are already starting to embrace the old time "customer comes first" mentality .

but these stores with two board members for every sales floor employee , are done for

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't shop at Amazon and then wonder where all the local stores went.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
When I worked my way through college as, among other things, a dance band musician, I learned that if you want to dance, you have to pay the band.

The consumer doesn’t any longer value brick and mortar with sales force.

They believe, apparently, that you have to be stupid to pay $4,000 for a huge TV functionally and operationally identical, if not the exact model, to the TV sold by Costco, Walmart or Amazon for $2500.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
when was the last time you made a big purchase without doing any research?

who needs a salesman who's only somewhat familiar with the product you're interested in?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
who needs a salesman who's only somewhat familiar with the product you're interested in?

This is also a result of people demanding the lowest price possible.

Once upon a time you had stores with very knowledgeable salespeople. Then the store down the street determined they could hire somewhat knowledgeable salespeople for a lower wage. So now people would shop at the first store to get their information, then go down the street and buy from the lower priced store.

Then another store came along. They decided they could just hire an idiot to stock the shelves. He doesn't know anything about anything, but they can now sell their products for less than the second guy.

The first guy is now out of business, so people find out whatever they can from the second guy, then buy from the third. Second guy will be out of business soon.

Enter the internet. No salespeople at all. No retail lease payments either. So now people will go to the third guy to see the product first hand, and then buy online. Want to guess who'll be out of business next?

Consumers demand knowledge. They demand access to the product. But then they refuse to spend money with those who offer it.

I already experience this with hardware stores. There used to be several small places that had all sorts of specialty stuff that I used. Along came Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards, none of which sell the things I need. The small guys are long gone, so they are no longer an option.

This will only get worse.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
You're gonna have to find a lot more people who care about what they're selling and can learn customer relations.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
As others have stated, the problem is not customer service. You still have niche retail boutiques, but even those are feeling pressure. The problem is no one wants to hassle with retail salespeople or crowds of people when they can get a lower price online and have it delivered to their door or office in a day or 2. The retail game has changed completely and it's not going to go back to the way it was.

I'm one of those people who don't like to hassle with retail when I don't have to - all Christmas shopping for years has been done online. I wouldn't care if the workers were dressed in tuxedos and pushed me around the store in a cart, I don't want to hassle with it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paying a premium for excellent customer service may or may not be worth it depending on the purchase. Home Depot vs. the local hardware store is a wonderful example. I go to HD and have to look for the help and then hope I find one of the employees that actually knows anything about anything. I save money but the aggravation level might not be worth it. The local hardware store has higher prices but the employees are knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. Add online to the mix and I don't have to leave the house and can shop for the best price from my couch. No parking hassles, no beggars, no disinterested clerks, no hassle.

Not gonna get better with the nonsense the business owner has to deal with. I 'm no math whiz but $15/hr plus benefits to stock shelves can only mean less staff trying to do more work.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The problem is people want to get priority high level customer service and pay no service no contact no overhead prices of online retailers.

Funny though driving around the past few days there are a ton of people going shopping now for the holidays, stores seem to have quite a few shoppers, at least the ones I go to.

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
In most cases I despise and work diligently to avoid in-person customer service and other sales related interactions, with the associated salesmanship, upsells, and the rest.

I know what I want, I can operate a computer and google, and I can have it delivered to my door without wasting a single second in a store, in some line, and the rest, 99% of the time.

I suspect variations of this attitude are vastly more popular than regular/older models, and aside from various boutiques and other edge cases I suspect its never going back.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
A lot of retail stores have turned into nothing but showroom for people looking to buy stuff online.

Declining sales have made it very difficult for may retail stores to make a profit. Historically retail pays crap and IMO that is not about to change. While there are many people who provide good customer service even while being not much a whole lot won't and are simply biding their time to find a better paying job. Turnover is huge in retail businesses.

In general Americans vastly prefer lower prices over service as has been shown time and time again as Walmarts come into town and devastate the smaller retail businesses even though Walmart has probably the worst retail customer service that can be found.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chp37
posted Hide Post
I try to shop locally whenever possible. Recently I went to Ace Hardware down the road for vacuum cleaner bags and the price was $7.50. I thought that was high and went to Walmart where the same package was $2.99.
Sorry, but my ability to support local business only goes so far.

Posts: 586 | Registered: October 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It is a bit sad commentary on the evolution of retail commerce.
Unfortunately, it is the way of the world.

Having gown up in retail and before the Internet they were dramatically different.
I was an Audio (then came Video) salesman where we actually went through a "real" sales process with the customer from greeting to close.
You had to know something > about your product, industry, competition and yes even business and selling.
We didn't have the Internet for confusion and competition but there was mail-order.

You can't always blame the brick and mortar store owners as they are in a rock and a hard place.
Can't afford someone that is smart, sharp, educated and knowledgeable just to get shot down by an Internet asshole shopper.

Additionally you complicate it with these entitled Millennial's in the workforce > you have a recipe for disaster.
Furthermore the B&M's actually NEED to make a higher profit percentage to pay for overhead > all squeezed by the Internet.

Sorry to see this evolution but I value my experience greatly in that era.
YMMV

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Everyday people have no idea of overhead. If they do walk into a brick & mortar store, they want a very knowledgeable staff member to bend over backwards to answer every single question, no matter how inane. Then they want free delivery, setup, and product training.
They also want all of this for the same, if not lower price of the Internet “competition”.
They have no inkling what it takes to pay staff, TRAIN staff, keep an inventory, and keep the lights on.
And honestly, they don’t care.
They honestly do NOT care if you are there for the next purchase, or for support/service down the line, as long as they got “a deal”.

They will absolutely come in, ask questions of the staff (keeping said staff from possibly helping PAYING customers) and then go home and jump on Amazon. All in their twisted rendition of “The Art of the Deal”.

Posts: 6303 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I think that ship has sailed. Gun stores too. I stop in to brick and mortar stores and watch people getting raked over the coals by salesman that don’t know their asses from their elbows. There’s a local store here that claims they are the biggest in the country or some such shit. I needed a Glock trigger housing for a build and called to see if they had one. Sure did...$27. These cost $7 from brownells or midway. Go fuck yourselves. I got one on eBay and had it at my door in 3 days for $9 shipped.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Everyday people have no idea of overhead. If they do walk into a brick & mortar store, they want a very knowledgeable staff member to bend over backwards to answer every single question, no matter how inane. Then they want free delivery, setup, and product training.
They also want all of this for the same, if not lower price of the Internet “competition”.
They have no inkling what it takes to pay staff, TRAIN staff, keep an inventory, and keep the lights on.
And honestly, they don’t care.
They honestly do NOT care if you are there for the next purchase, or for support/service down the line, as long as they got “a deal”.

They will absolutely come in, ask questions of the staff (keeping said staff from possibly helping PAYING customers) and then go home and jump on Amazon. All in their twisted rendition of “The Art of the Deal”.

I’m the opposite. I already probably know more about the item then the salesperson so all I want you to do is point me to the item, then to the cash register without making any inane small talk. Nothing is more infuriating then walking into a store and every 3 feet being asked by someone if “there’s anything they can do to help you.” Why yes...you can let me buy what I came for without the constant interruptions.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Have you guys been to a mall lately? Its just sad.

Welcome to the new world folks. Skills and information can be found at the touch of a screen. Everything is a commodity. The only thing left you cant get more of is TIME. Therefore, things that save you time, like uber, amazon,etc... are here to stay. More of a perception of time really. If you are in the retail business of any kind, i would be exiting ASAP.

Quite a few industrys changed by ecommerce

Taxi industry
Book industry
Mattress industry(soon to be devasted)
Hotel industry
Toys r us - gone
Guns
Cable tv

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The closest city to me that has any big box stores has a sales tax of 8.375% and they just passed another .5%
I refuse to pay that much tax into a city that one, I do not live in and two, wastes money terribly.

I shop Amazon. A lot. Sure I pay some tax on Amazon but it's nowhere near 8.375% and I get 5% back on my Amazon Prime card for everything I buy on Amazon.

There is a fleet/farm store in my hometown that I do shop quite often. Sales tax here is 6.875% which is still somewhat reasonable and I do after all live here and use city services etc.

If I do have to shop the local Wal Mart or grocery for things I go first thing in the morning which for me is about 5am to avoid as many shoppers as possible.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8527 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
I don't mind paying for helpful service. But not a 50 - 75% premium for it. And most times if you do just a little research on a product, you'll be far better informed than 99% of the retail sales people you'll run in to.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
For some reason Costco and BJs seem to be getting by.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post