SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chris Christie, in His Last Days in Office, Pardons Gun Rights Cause Célèbre Brian Atiken
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chris Christie, in His Last Days in Office, Pardons Gun Rights Cause Célèbre Brian Atiken Login/Join 
posted
Pardons for Camden activist and gun-law symbol
JIM WALSH | @JIMWALSH_CP

TRENTON - Gov. Chris Christie issued pardons Friday to a Camden community activist and to a former Mount Laurel man who became a symbol of people ensnared in New Jersey's strict gun laws.

The pardons for Angel Cordero and Brian Aitken were among 26 granted as Christie approached his last day in office Tuesday. The governor also pardoned three men convicted of weapons offenses in the tri-county area.

“I still can’t believe it,” Cordero, a strong supporter of Christie who focuses on education issues, said Saturday. “I have a new life, a new beginning.”

Christie pardoned Cordero for convictions that arose from arrests for drug possession with the intent to distribute and bail jumping in 1986, and for a weapons offense in 2002.

Cordero said he’d been pursuing a pardon for two years, but was not aware Christie had decided in his favor.

“I thought it’s not going to happen but I won’t hold it against the governor,” said Cordero, a 2009 mayoral candidate in Camden.

Camden activist Angel Cordero, who was pardoned by Gov. Chris Christie Friday, leads a protest outside City Hall in 2008.
Camden activist Angel Cordero, who was pardoned by Gov. Chris Christie Friday, leads a protest outside City Hall in 2008.

“He’s been a friend and a great governor for New Jersey and a wonderful governor for Camden. I appreciate everything he’s done for the city.”

Aitken, a businessman whose seven-year prison term previously was commuted by Christie, said he was "so happy to finally put this chapter behind me."

"Thank you to everyone who has stuck with me over the years," Aitken said in a Facebook post. "I can't thank Gov. Chris Christie enough."

Gov. Chris Christie on Friday pardoned Brian Aitken, a former Mount Laurel man arrested after found in possession of guns he purchased legally while living in Colorado.
Gov. Chris Christie on Friday pardoned Brian Aitken, a former Mount Laurel man arrested after found in possession of guns he purchased legally while living in Colorado.
PHOTO PROVIDED

Aitken was arrested in January 2009 when a Mount Laurel police officer found three unloaded guns in his car. Aitken had purchased the guns legally in Colorado, but lacked a permit to carry them in New Jersey.

Aitken served almost four months in a state prison for unlawful possession of a weapon and other offenses before Christie commuted his sentence in December 2010.

His release came after more than 15,000 people demanded Aitken's freedom on a Facebook page petition.

An appeals court later overturned Aitken's conviction for the weapons offense, ruling he should have been exempt from prosecution because he was in the process of moving when the arrest occurred.

Gov. Chris Christie hugs Camden activist Angel Cordero at a November 2011 event in Camden to announce a prisoner re-entry initiative.
Gov. Chris Christie hugs Camden activist Angel Cordero at a November 2011 event in Camden to announce a prisoner re-entry initiative.
COURIER-POST FILE PHOTO
But Aitken's convictions for lesser offenses remained intact. Christie pardoned him for possessing hollow-point bullets and simple assault.

Aitken now is an entrepreneur and media executive who lives in Manhattan. He wrote a book about his experience, "The Blue Tent Sky: How the Left's War on Guns Cost Me My Son and My Freedom."

The governor also pardoned three men convicted of unlawful possession of a handgun: Adrian Rubio, who was arrested in Camden County in April 2016; Christopher C. O’Sullivan, arrested in Burlington County in November 2015; and Antonio Scott, arrested in Gloucester County in April 2016.

Rubio, who is serving a three-year term, is to be released from state custody as a result of his pardon. He had a March 6 parole eligibility date.

In each case, Christie acted after an investigation by the State Parole Board.

With Friday's actions, the outgoing governor has issued 52 pardons and commuted three sentences, his office said.

Cordero said the pardons send a message that offenders can turn their lives around.

"You focus on good things after you make that mistake," he said. "You try to do what God wants, which is to help people. Then good things will happen."

Jim Walsh: @jwalsh_cp; 856-486-2646; jwalsh@gannettnj.com

http://www.courierpostonline.c...w-pardon/1030859001/

Posts: 387 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I suppose that this self-serving loudmouthed douchebag wants people to thank him for this action? Don't hold your breath, you phony.

Posts: 107251 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Stopped clock, yadda yadda.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You know what I remember? I remember this asshole running his suck at the 2012 RNC, talking about himself, and ONLY himself, when he was up there supposedly to help get the Republican candidate elected.

ASS

HOLE

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107251 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm sure he was well compensated.

Posts: 9454 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Suddenly I want a doughnut covered in melted confectioner's sugar.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31373 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post