SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Router on the way. Do I just give it the same name and password????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Router on the way. Do I just give it the same name and password???? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
When I bought my current AirPort Extreme I had desktop computer, a WiFi printer, and that was about it.
So I just started fresh no big deal.

Now I have tons on WiFi devices and wired devices. No reason to think anything has been compromised. The AirPort Extreme got hit with a power surge a few months back.
I was able to get it back up and running but range and speeds have been slowly degrading and I am having to reset at least monthly. I have needed something new just doing my best to limp it along as most everything is wired.
Well
Today I was gone and the WiFi went out which of course jacks with my nest thermostat, garage door monitor capabilities and I am just fed up.

So I have the fancy Asus router on the way everyone here suggests.

So is it fine if I just give it the same name and password????
That way most everything just logs in and gets a new IP???

I presume some tweaking for my BlueIris and cameras will need to be done.

Or am I missing something and I’ll need a new network name and password? Then have to reply in with every device??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
That's what I did when I upgraded mine recently. Unless it's super weak, it will make for an easy transition.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Depends.

Some routers will works using the same SSID and passkey, others create a new key and encryption.

(different object ID with same name), so devices preciously connected will not work.

Either they will not connect, or they will connect but not pass traffic as the "higher layer" security will prevent it from authenticating.

Plan on stripping any and all connection profiles to the old router and re-create new and be done with it. (but you can use the same information to make it easy to remember).

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43863 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scottbadger
posted Hide Post
My last router came with a unique password stamped on the bottom. You can make up your own password but it is nice to be able to flip the router over if you ever forgot it.

Posts: 634 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: March 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I did that with Netgear ones. Worked fine.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottbadger:
My last router came with a unique password stamped on the bottom. You can make up your own password but it is nice to be able to flip the router over if you ever forgot it.

Blue tape and a sharpie. Smile

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Depends.

Some routers will works using the same SSID and passkey, others create a new key and encryption.

(different object ID with same name), so devices preciously connected will not work.

Either they will not connect, or they will connect but not pass traffic as the "higher layer" security will prevent it from authenticating.

Plan on stripping any and all connection profiles to the old router and re-create new and be done with it. (but you can use the same information to make it easy to remember).

If you make the same SSID and passkey and use the same WEP2 setting, everything will connect just fine.

quote:
Originally posted by Scottbadger:

Ummm no. I know you probably think, nobody will ever walk up to my router - but why even have a password if you are going to write it on the device for anyone to see?

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I always use the same wpa2 password for any router I set up for people. Same ssid also (flowers by irene)

Inevitably, they will call because they forgot the password and I just rattle off the 13 characters by heart.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8010 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
In my experience, that works if it's the same model and firmware version.

If it is, you may be able to cheat even further than that. Most of the routers that I've dealt with (expensive and cheap) allow you to export and import configuration settings, so you can just simply dump your config into a file and import it into the firmware on the new one.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I used an old router as an access point after I bought my new one. Definitely helps to extend the WiFi range at each end of the house or on multiple levels. I put one in the bsmt and one on the main level. Only caveat is you need a cat5 run between the two (typically).

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

So is it fine if I just give it the same name and password???? Yes you can do this.
That way most everything just logs in and gets a new IP??? Logging in is not a requirement to get an IP address.
I presume some tweaking for my BlueIris and cameras will need to be done. Only if there are changed IP and the configuration requires it.
Or am I missing something and I’ll need a new network name and password? Not really any impact except if you use static IP's ~ just make sure those are excluded from the DHCP scope
Then have to reply in with every device?? No

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

So is it fine if I just give it the same name and password???? Yes you can do this.
That way most everything just logs in and gets a new IP??? Logging in is not a requirement to get an IP address.
I presume some tweaking for my BlueIris and cameras will need to be done. Only if there are changed IP and the configuration requires it.
Or am I missing something and I’ll need a new network name and password? Not really any impact except if you use static IP's ~ just make sure those are excluded from the DHCP scope
Then have to reply in with every device?? No

If the device does not log in/connect to the router how does it function or get an IP?

I have my cameras set to static IPs but that is it.
How does one go about excluding that from this DHCP scope you speak of?

————————————————

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
If the device does not log in/connect to the router how does it function or get an IP?

Typically, your device will get an IP address from the DHCP server functionality built into your router. If your device is wireless, it has the SSID and the key (password) to access the wireless network. If you've kept those the same as what you had before, you shouldn't have any issues there.

To reserve static IP addresses for specific devices, you'll need to change some settings in the DHCP Server section. On my ASUS router [under Advanced] if I click on "LAN", then visit the "DHCP Server" tab, that displays the current DHCP server configuration. In that area, you should also find a section where you can manually assign (reserve) a static IP address to a device.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Connecting to a WLAN SSID is not logging into it.
Logging in to a router is for making configuration changes.

However when you do connect (SSID+passphrase) it is the exact same as plugging your computer to your switch via cable.
THEN if your computer or device is configured to use DHCP for IP addressing you will get an address.

DHCP server - (usually on the network device aka router) sends out beacons looking for computers/devices to give an IP address from it's pool.
The computer/device that is not configured with a static IP will respond and say "I need an IP"
The process is completed with another round and the computer gets the IP.

The DHCP server has a scope or range of IP's it will hand out > you can figure out this range it's section in your router.
You need to exclude the static IP's you gave out to your cams.
For example if your cams are 192.168.0.55 through 192.168.0.64 then make sure the router starts handing out IP's at say 192.168.0.101 to 192.168.0.150 (this range can vary on need).
This way you won't have any duplications > which is the key issue in all of this.
More sophisticated DHCP servers can set a "reservation" but it is not needed (also more complicated) if you just keep the statics different from the ones in your scope.
We want to avoid the DHCP server handing out an IP which is the same as your static set cams.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas.
Most of this is Greek to me but hopefully I can figure it out once the router arrives and I am in the settings.
From ShouldBfishin’s post should be fairly straight forward.

————————————————

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks fellas.
Most of this is Greek to me but hopefully I can figure it out once the router arrives and I am in the settings.
From ShouldBfishin’s post should be fairly straight forward.

Yes, ShouldBfishin's info is valid.

FYI, I would connect directly to the new router with a cable and NOT connected into your network first.

Make all of your configuration changes THEN replace your old one (if still connected).
Make sure it is on the same subnet as the old one, check the DHCP, config the WiFi etc.
Good Luck

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So I configured the router directly as you suggested smschulz.

I had to give the router a different ip than ASUS had it as my old router is 10.0.x.x and the new one was 192.168.x.x and then I started my DHCP begging address above my highest static ip I had already directed to my cameras. I also have room to add more cameras below that ip as well as I get them.

So I think I have everything setup. I pretty much just copied the settings from my Airport when setting this one up.
So hopefully when I hook this thing all up. It will be a seamless venture.

We're getting ready for movie night so I am not going to try it out tonight because if it doesn't work it will be a bit of troubleshooting and I don't want to interfere with movie night.

Will be traveling and at the hospital most of the day tomorrow so I may get it propped up tomorrow evening.

Thanks for the help so far folks the setup was pretty simple presuming I did everything correctly.
But with my luck I am sure I'll be back with some more questions.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My decided to go to the grocery and the boys wanted to tag along. So I went ahead and booked her up.
It would appear that I was successful for the most part.
All things WiFi are work and speeds are great. Everything I have tested upstairs in the routers vicinity are between 50 and 60 mbps which is good since I only have 50mbps service. When the Airport was acting decently I was around 30 mbps.

I need to test everything downstairs that is hooked to a network switch.
I plugged in my external hard drive to the router but it is not recognizing it at the moment.

With my old setup I was port forwarding to remotely access my cameras (yeah I know not very secure) this router has some built in VPN software so I guess I need to learn how to use that to access the cameras.

————————————————