SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Japanese +100 year prediction from 1961
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Japanese +100 year prediction from 1961 Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted
By then we won't have cellphones apparently. Just these things on posts along the moving sidewalk.

Posts: 4698 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
R.H.H. did a short story about people who no longer traveled in cars. All the traveling was done via 200mph walk ways. I wonder if this came out about the same time.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Each person appears to be wearing a unitard, which is nice.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I remember going to the New York Worlds Fair in 1964 where they had a lot of futuristic ideas presented. Some were close, a lot were not.
The Dick Tracy cartoons of the time had him communicating on his two way wrist radio and are probably the closest to how the future turned out.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
R.H.H. did a short story about people who no longer traveled in cars. All the traveling was done via 200mph walk ways. I wonder if this came out about the same time.

"The Roads Must Roll" is a 1940 science fiction short story by American writer Robert A. Heinlein. It was selected for The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume One, 1929–1964 anthology in 1970. (From Wikipedia)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

"The Roads Must Roll" is a 1940 science fiction short story by American writer Robert A. Heinlein. It was selected for The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume One, 1929–1964 anthology in 1970. (From Wikipedia)

That is where i read it, the anthology as a whole was a very interesting read.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Jetsons.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
1966 prediction of the home computer

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5sbdvnvQM

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the items that back then could not predict, however we in the present can for our future is that there will either be a genderless society or many numerous genders. I do not like nor agree with it. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the unitards come in mossy oak?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Some of them appear to even have matching head appliances.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:

And no one is overweight!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:

And no one is overweight!

OMG ur right! That is the worse miss of any prediction of the future I have seen.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
1966 prediction of the home computer

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5sbdvnvQM

Bama, that's a pipe dream. Let's keep this thread real.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The advance of technology is nearly always overestimated in the short run, and underestimated in the long run.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Flying car is angry.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post