SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I suspect they gave my mom a happy pill in the hospital
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I suspect they gave my mom a happy pill in the hospital Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
My mom is a spoiled brat. Whenever she deals with medical people she is a complete bitch. It's really embarrassing to have to see her not being nice to people who are helping her. She acts like all of them want to harm or kill her. She's the worst patient, allergic to everything, the MRI machine made her lose hearing, they don't believe her when she tells them about med reactions ect.

The last time she was in the hospital, likely for high blood pressure complications since she refuses to take the medications for it because they make her feel bad, she was as cantankerous as usual. The next day, I show up to see her and she's fawning about how nice the hospital is, the great care she's getting, and how nice the nurses are. My instincts told me they slipped her something to make her happy and compliant.

Is it possible they gave her this without a prescription or undocumented. I didn't look to see if the doctor prescribed some kind of a mood altering medicine. Know if this happens and if it is ever done under the table? What would they give? Whatever it was it sure was effective and made a day or night difference in changing her to a compliant patient.

Would appear to unethical and illegal. Maybe it was just a miracle.

Posts: 7450 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Some questions are better off not asked. Wink

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

So just enjoy the ride?

Posts: 7450 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
If my Mom were still alive, I would rather see her happy than bitchy is all I'm saying.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Sometimes there are multiple reasons a doctor (and his nurses, by way of subtle suggestion) can prescribe a medication. Could be creative needs-based prescribing that covered a cantankerous attitude as well?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it possible they gave her this without a prescription or undocumented. I didn't look to see if the doctor prescribed some kind of a mood altering medicine. Know if this happens and if it is ever done under the table? What would they give? Whatever it was it sure was effective and made a day or night difference in changing her to a compliant patient.

The answer is no, there is no undocumented medication, and no medication of any kind given in a hospital without a physician's order. To do so would violate multiple laws and the individuals and the hospital would pay severe penalties.
You didn't say if you asked a nurse what she was given. That would be the appropriate thing to do.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone brought her a special Brownie treat Smile

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
Sounds like someone brought her a special Brownie treat Smile
I live in Missouri, not Colorado.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:

The answer is no, there is no undocumented medication, and no medication of any kind given in a hospital without a physician's order. To do so would violate multiple laws and the individuals and the hospital would pay severe penalties.
You didn't say if you asked a nurse what she was given. That would be the appropriate thing to do.

By the time I figured out that this might have happened she was already out of the hospital. So if they don't do it under the table, what is the protocol to prescribe a medication to make a patient pleasant and complient?

Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Find out what it was and get a years supply.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I'd imagine you could just check the bill and see what they gave her...and maybe ask for more?

The only thing I could imagine them giving her is some Valium if she was experiencing anxiety that was affecting treatment.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

So just enjoy the ride?

This x 10^Infinity

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Usually anti depressants take a month to kick in. I would imagine any mood altering drug is the same.

Sure shes not bipolar?

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

By the time I figured out that this might have happened she was already out of the hospital. So if they don't do it under the table, what is the protocol to prescribe a medication to make a patient pleasant and complient?
Like Dr. Goodheart said. No, that just doesn't happen now. Any nurse who did that would be making a major career decision. Anyway, all meds are in computer-controlled dispensing machines now, not in cabinets in the nursing station as they were several generations ago.
Fergitaboutit.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Maybe her oxygen was replaced with nitrous oxide.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Like Dr. Goodheart said. No, that just doesn't happen now. Any nurse who did that would be making a major career decision. Anyway, all meds are in computer-controlled dispensing machines now, not in cabinets in the nursing station as they were several generations ago.
Fergitaboutit.

I need to start a new thread, because I witnessed a miracle.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
So the history will be documented in the EMR (Electronic Medical Record). Go to the hospital Medical Records department and ask to see a copy of all of the records from her last visit. They'll give them to you (assuming you have control of her affairs).

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would appear to unethical and illegal. Maybe it was just a miracle.

I got to admit, before I got to this part, I thought you were leading up to asking for a long term supply of whatever they gave her.

Like many things, medicine has become extremely rigid and controlled. 50 years ago, it *might* have happened as you suspected and been undocumented (but probably unlikely even then). Now, the chances of her getting anything that isn't marked down are vanishingly small.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
They tell you if you don’t lighten up, you’ll be eating hospital food for the rest of your life.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I got a happy pill years ago just prior to my tonsilectomy. Yes, tonsils came out when I was late 20s. I have not been real sick like that ever since.

I have no idea what that pill was, That pill was a real relaxing, fun ride. Wheeeeeee...... But the week after in the throat was terrible.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post