SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gotta love my home county. Coyote hung from stop sign.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gotta love my home county. Coyote hung from stop sign. Login/Join 
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted
I don't know why someone would do this, but still, it's a dead coyote. Not a pet dog. Are they warning their neighbors about the coyotes? Or were they just being juvenile?

CONNELLY SPRINGS — On a typical Saturday, there’s nothing wrong with the mistreatment of a coyote as long as it’s done by a mischievous roadrunner on TV.

But it wasn’t a Looney Tunes scene deputies responded to Saturday afternoon — it was the scene of a crime.

Deputies with the Burke County Sheriff’s Office arrived at the intersection of Miller Bridge Road and Van Horn Road in Connelly Springs around 2 p.m. to find a shot coyote hanging from a stop sign, Sheriff Steve Whisenant said.

The coyote was removed from the sign, and N.C. Wildlife was called to evaluate the scene and remove the carcass, Whisenant said.

Whiesnenat said there was no damage to state property and that the only charge would be not properly disposing of the carcass, but the incident has been a hot topic for residents near the area.

“The first question I was asked at church on Sunday was if I knew who killed the coyote,” said Mindy Lail, who lives on Miller Bridge Road.

Lail said she did not see the coyote hanging from the stop sign and has not seen any in the area, but her father-in-law recently saw one near their farmland, which is home to cows and horses.

“I don’t know much about them, but I heard they are bad this year,” Lail said.

But nearby resident Danielle Barrier said she is more familiar with coyotes and was shocked to see one so large in the area, let alone one hanging by its paw.

Barrier, a resident of Van Horn Road, is originally from Texas and moved to the area about four years ago.

“You could hear them yelping at night (in Texas), but I’ve never heard them out here,” Barrier said. “This is the first one I’ve ever seen or heard here. I’m just happy my kids didn’t see it because they love animals.”

Barrier said she believes it was probably done by misbehaving kids, but her original thought was someone hung the coyote to send a message.

Danny Ray, a biologist with the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission, said he agrees with Barrier’s original evaluation.

“That sounds like someone trying to make a statement,” Ray said. “It sounds like someone who does not have good judgment. It was done in bad taste.”

Coyote behavior

Coyotes are not native to North Carolina but first appeared in the state in the early 1980s, Ray said. Since then, the coyote population steadily has increased.

Research shows the animals are extremely mobile and can move more than 100 miles in a week, Ray said. This, coupled with the fact that coyotes breeding numbers depend on their resources, makes it hard to estimate how many are in the area.

“I could throw out a number now, and in six months, that number will change,” Ray said. “You can find them from Hudson’s Bay in Canada all the way to the Panama Canal. They are in 48 states and in all 100 counties in this state.”

The reason for coyotes’ expansion is the removal of their major predators, Ray said. But coyotes are known to be fierce predators, themselves. The animals are omnivorous and feed on everything from small mammals to berries.

“About anything you got in your garden, they’ll eat,” Ray said. “I get a couple calls about pets missing each year. I don’t want to tell people their cat got eaten by a coyote, but I often feel confident that’s what happened.”

Despite their predator instinct, coyotes are actually afraid of humans, Ray said.

“Keep your eyes on your pets when you are out and about, but (coyotes) won’t bother your pets if you are with them” he said. “Now if you see one up close, you don’t want to turn and run from it. But you don’t want to do that even with domesticated dogs or any other predatory animal.”

But although they are not harmful to humans, North Carolina is “lenient” when it comes to hunting coyotes, Ray said.

People are allowed to hunt coyotes for recreation all year as long as it’s done on a legal hunting day and with a hunting license, Ray said. People even can use electronic calls, hunt at night with lights and shoot a coyote on their own property without a license.

However, a person cannot shoot a coyote on a property they do not own unless he or she has a license, and no one can trap a coyote on personal property without a license, Ray said.

But even if people see a coyote has caused damage to their property or pets, they should not go out and “wage war” on all coyotes, Ray said.

“If you remove a coyote, it will be replaced by another,” he said. “If you kill a good coyote, it might be replaced by a coyote that kills livestock. So we try to tell people to focus on removing the offender. Coyotes are going to be here regardless.”

Ray said each coyote has a different personality and travel pattern. This allows people to distinguish the offender by looking at clues like where the coyote entered the property, such as a hole in a fence.

“Basically, they are an extremely elusive animal not aggressive to humans, but they are a predator,” Ray said.

For those interested in learning about coyote management, Ray will be helping to host a workshop at the NC Cooperative Extension Cleveland County Center in Shelby on Aug. 8 from 5 – 8 p.m.

The workshop will teach coyote biology and behavior; laws and regulations on taking care of coyotes; basic trapping techniques; and practical methods to reduce conflict.

People can register for the free workshop by calling 704-482-4365. For more information, contact Ray at 828-433-8880 or daniel.ray@ncwildlife.org.

Ryan Wilusz can be reached at rwilusz@morganton.com or 828-432-8941.

http://www.morganton.com/news/...ad-2f5653e01727.html

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Question unrelated really to this juvenile act.

Not properly disposing? What are the requirements for disposal in your state? I ask because in KS theres no wanton waste on coyotes. So assuming its not shot in your neighbors backyard fine to letem lie. I do believe they would be charged here with unlawful display of a dead animal or something like that.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Why is this even newsworthy? I see dead dogs, cats, deer, possums and coons every day on the side of the road. If you hang' em does that make a statement? It musta been a slow news day.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I've never seen one hung from a road sign, but as a kid I remember seeing wolves hung from fences in Texas. Up in Fannin county the ranchers hired trappers to remove part of the wolf population to protect their livestock and they would hang them on barbed wire fences. I have no idea why, but in the 50's it wasn't uncommon to see several strung up somewhere in that area.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Question unrelated really to this juvenile act.

Not properly disposing? What are the requirements for disposal in your state? I ask because in KS theres no wanton waste on coyotes. So assuming its not shot in your neighbors backyard fine to letem lie. I do believe they would be charged here with unlawful display of a dead animal or something like that.

I'm not sure of the requirements for disposal, but I usually leave them laying unless I'm near a house. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
Why is this even newsworthy? I see dead dogs, cats, deer, possums and coons every day on the side of the road. If you hang' em does that make a statement? It musta been a slow news day.

In our county, most every day is a slow news day.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
“If you kill a good coyote, it might be replaced by a coyote that kills livestock.

Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
“If you kill a good coyote, it might be replaced by a coyote that kills livestock.

Roll Eyes

Yep. That sentence right there caused me to discount everything else he said.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
As usual, I'd bet alcohol was involved in the decision making......

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The one thing I carried away from reading the article is that Danny Ray is a fucking moron.

Please tell me he is not in any kind of position of authority.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I've never seen one hung from a road sign, but as a kid I remember seeing wolves hung from fences in Texas. Up in Fannin county the ranchers hired trappers to remove part of the wolf population to protect their livestock and they would hang them on barbed wire fences. I have no idea why, but in the 50's it wasn't uncommon to see several strung up somewhere in that area.

I grew up in northeast Oklahoma in the 50's and the wolves on a fence were a common sight.

It's been a long time but I think the thought was, that it would keep other wolves out of the area.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
“If you kill a good coyote...

And you know they are "good" exactly how...???...

Here's one on my property in NC, I have many pics of him. Based on several comparison pictures of my dog taken in the same spots, I believe this yote is about 24" tall at the shoulder and weighs 48 to 52 lbs.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Lore is that hanging up a dead one will scare off other coyotes. Pretty common practice around these parts.

A couple of years ago around Christmas time a fella had one hanging from a tree. Someone stopped and put a big red bow on it. It made FNC and the outrage was wild. Most of us around here thought it was pretty funny.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
See them hanging from fences along Rt 200 in the Jordan, Circle , Glendive area of MT occasionally. The thought is like Gustofer mentioned...scares off the others.

Must have been a very slow news day for that to make the news.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The one thing I carried away from reading the article is that Danny Ray is a fucking moron.

Please tell me he is not in any kind of position of authority.

Danny is a state wildlife biologist. The newspaper calls him regularly on any wildlife matter.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
its easy to tell the good coyotes from the bad ones... the good ones aren't breathing.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Here's one that popped up during deer season last year. They're very skiddish in Nebraska.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
They're all over around here. One was hanging around 3 houses down. Then he got deadified by the guy living there. Charlie just tossed the carcass in the garbage for pickup. I worked with a guy who's mother was having a problem with them. Right down by the Arc theme park. He didn't take it too seriously until his favorite barn cat came up missing. Then it was war.

Being a good guy, I furnished him with some ammo to keep up the fire fight. He hung them from fences when he could determine where they came in. The idea was they wouldn't cross the fence at the place where another was dead. It seemed to work. They moved their entry place down about a quarter of a mile. So he hung up another one there. Then they stopped coming in for a while. Either because the little trick worked or because they'd lost so many troops it seemed wise to move along. Wiley didn't get his name from being stupid. If he started with a family of 10 and suddenly its down to one or two, its time to do things differently.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Here's one that popped up during deer season last year. They're very skiddish in Nebraska.

Confused

Razz Razz

I've seen them hung in rural TX as well. Supposedly the two theories are to scare off others (which seems to be more lore than effective) and from back in the day when folks were hired to kill some off and hung them as evidence of their payment claim.

Always on fence posts there tho, not a stop sign.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Good coyotes vs bad coyotes. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post