SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flying into (rural) IL with handgun in luggage to start a road trip, good idea?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying into (rural) IL with handgun in luggage to start a road trip, good idea? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
So question, I’ll be in the Quad Cities/Galesburg area of IL next week for work (Mon-Thur). On Thursday afternoon I will be picking up a pickup that was purchased online and driving back to Texas. I’m good to carry as soon as I cross over the Mississippi @ Quincy. Problem is I’ll be in IL up to that point.

Reading through IL law it seems I’d be good with an unloaded pistol in a locked case, but looking for input from locals. Would the hassle of dealing with it for first of the week outweigh the benefits?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigM4,

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I'd rather we build a wall on our western boarder, my understanding of the law change a year or 2 ago is that if you have a permit in you home state, you are GTG with it loaded in your car and/or hotel. You can't CARRY a loaded gun - just unload, secure, run between car/hotel & hope that the crazed natives don't get wind.

I'm not a lawyer & I avoid Ill-annoy as much as possible, moreso now that we have sunday beer sales. But I do have to go there and/or travel through it on occasion & the above is what I do.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
You can carry in Illinois as long as you are in your vehicle. You are going to be in Western Illinois and should not have any problems. You are suppose to leave it in the vehicle when getting out.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
+1

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
You can carry in Illinois as long as you are in your vehicle. You are going to be in Western Illinois and should not have any problems. You are suppose to leave it in the vehicle when getting out.

That is correct, even though it sounds too good to be true for IL.

I live on the IA side of the Quad Cities and would be happy to show you around, but I'm back east for another two weeks.

The Rock Island Arsenal (from which I retired a year ago) has a great museum with LOTS of guns (do not bring yours on post), check the www for specific days, hours, and access rules.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
That is correct, even though it sounds too good to be true for IL.

I live on the IA side of the Quad Cities and would be happy to show you around, but I'm back east for another two weeks.

The Rock Island Arsenal (from which I retired a year ago) has a great museum with LOTS of guns (do not bring yours on post), check the www for specific days, hours, and access rules.

Next time I’m up I may just take you up on it. Been up there a bunch but have yet to have much free time. Hoping my next trip up I can get by the Arsenal.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about it. The cops aren't running around trying to bust tourists with guns. Just don't open carry. Illinois isn't the evil, gun hating state people make it out to be.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if I had the slightest clue as to a good place to eat in Galesburg, I'd offer to meet you for a nice lunch.

but ,we don't get that way much.
maybe next time

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Go to Sinpsons Ltd, while you are in Galesburg.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
if I had the slightest clue as to a good place to eat in Galesburg, I'd offer to meet you for a nice lunch.

but ,we don't get that way much.
maybe next time

Well I can tell you first hand, that Landmark Cafe is excellent food with a French flair, as is Baked! (funky pizza shop).

It's funny as I actually thought about you bendable last time I was up there, I knew you were in Henry County, but no idea where. Maybe one of these trips we can meet up for lunch.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Go to Sinpsons Ltd, while you are in Galesburg.

I made that mistake on my last couple trips, never thought I would have found such a cool old gun shop in Galesburg of all places!

Complacency sucks…

posted Hide Post
will check it out , best wishes for a safe trip

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post