SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Congress has handed Trump a historic presidential victory
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Congress has handed Trump a historic presidential victory Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
President Donald Trump should give special thanks to two U.S. Senators this Thanksgiving weekend. One is still serving in the Senate, the other recently retired. One is a Republican. The other a Democrat. And what should President Trump be thanking them for? Quite simply they have handed him one of the biggest victories any president could claim in the past 45 years.

Yes, this has happened even as one of the most widely covered stories of the past year has been President Trump's difficulties in working with Congress. The growing rift between him and Republican Senators John McCain, Jeff Flake, and Bob Corker alone has made headlines for months. For a U.S. president to have this many public feuds with senators from his own party this early in his presidency is really unprecedented and makes for hot news copy.

But that story ignores a bigger and longer-lasting development in the federal judiciary. That brings us first to naming the Republican gift giver: Senator Chuck Grassley from Iowa. The longtime member of Congress has big time clout as the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. And Grassley has just used that clout to eliminate one of the final hurdles in the already furious pace of Trump administration judicial appointments to the federal bench.

Late last week, Grassley decided not to honor a Senate tradition of holding up hearings for judicial nominees who aren't cleared by their own home state senators. That tradition is known as the "blue slip courtesy" born out of time before nationwide communication technology when a given state's senators had access to much more information about nominees than their colleagues from the rest of the country. Grassley correctly noted that Democrats were now trying to use the blue slips tradition to replace the filibuster, and he's having none of that. As recently as last month, the Democrats and much of the news media's punditry were expecting Grassley, who is no fan of the president, to keep the blue slip tradition in place. But Grassley gave Trump this very special gift instead.

And that brings us to the Democrat who provided the initial generous source of President Trump's solid triumph: Former Senate Majority Leader, and Democrat, Harry Reid. Reid is a major reason this good fortune has befallen President Trump because Reid was the one who killed the filibuster rule for judicial nominees in 2013. And when he killed it, it was gone for good.

Republicans were powerless to stop a series of President Obama's judicial nominees after that. That is, until they won control of the Senate in the 2014 elections. The GOP may have failed at using that majority to achieve much, especially making even a dent in Obamacare. But they were able to freeze the Obama nomination process in its tracks, most notably by delaying and eventually killing Merrick Garland's nomination for the Supreme Court.

That long period of confirmation obstruction has given President Trump a huge number of seats to fill; twice as many as President Obama's also large number of vacancies when he took office in 2009. The Christian Science Monitor reports this is likely the most vacancies for a president to fill in 40 years. And the Trump team hasn't been wasting much time.

For those who believe President Trump won the 2016 election thanks to a series of Democratic Party errors, this is cut from the exact same cloth.

Consider that as of November 3rd, 13 Trump nominees to the courts have been confirmed this year. The big name is Supreme Court Associate Justice Neil Gorsuch, but we also have eight new federal appeals court judges, and four new U.S. district court judges. President Trump has now already surpassed the last four presidents' records for first-year judifical confirmations. And he's even tied President Ronald Reagan number of appeals court confirmations in year one.

But this isn't just about sheer numbers, it's about ideology too. While President Trump and conservatives have diverged in matters of policy several times over the past year, the judicial nomination process is decidedly not one of them. The nominees sent to the Senate from the White House are more conservative and even younger than what we saw during President George W. Bush's two terms in office.

In case the importance of making an impact on the courts is lost on anyone, just note the many setbacks the Trump administration has suffered this year alone thanks to the courts. Delays and changes to the White House-imposed travel and immigration bans have grabbed the most attention. But the administration is also dealing with judicial push back and other potential hurdles on everything from its opposition to the AT&T-Time Warner merger to its transgender military ban.

Now fast forward a couple of years where the Trump judicial appointment surge will have set in across the federal system. Just for this administration alone, that could make a huge difference. And for conservative causes and cases over time, it will be even more significant.

Sure, the tax reform and Obamacare repeal bills may be jeopardized by internal spats between the GOP and the White House. But real history is being made in the courts all thanks to a bad bet made by Senator Reid and remarkable cooperation between the Trump team, Senator Grassley, and Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. While the fights with other senators like Flake et al may grab headlines, these judicial confirmations will have a much bigger impact.

And unless the Democrats win control of the Senate in 2018, there's nothing they can do about it.

So on this Thanksgiving weekend the most grateful person in America should be President Trump. An unlikely set of benefactors has truly given him the political gift that will keep on giving.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Rejoining the Federalist Society seems to be in order.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: "So on this Thanksgiving weekend the most grateful person in America should be President Trump."

Us folks on SigForum, too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news indeed!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This is the sweetest part of it all. If he replaces activist judges with impartial ones alone, that's a victory. If they also lean conservative, or even better they are states rights/constitutionalists heavy mix. If we can push through fair judges bound by our country's founding principles and documents for the next four, or God willing eight years, then the next 30 years look a lot brighter.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20813 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
This is the sweetest part of it all. If he replaces activist judges with impartial ones alone, that's a victory. If they also lean conservative, or even better they are states rights/constitutionalists heavy mix. If we can push through fair judges bound by our country's founding principles and documents for the next four, or God willing eight years, then the next 30 years look a lot brighter.

I agree.

Just offsetting the number of extreme left leaning ones, alone, is a yuge and lasting win.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Awesome news.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
J Allen, I most sincerely appreciate your many contributions to help my understanding of so many aspects of Government.

Thank you Sir!

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
J Allen, I most sincerely appreciate your many contributions to help my understanding of so many aspects of Government.

Thank you Sir!

It’s fascinating to peek inside the sausage factory once in a while, isn’t it?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Re: "So on this Thanksgiving weekend the most grateful person in America should be President Trump."

Yeah, I'd wager that the most thankful are the conservative little guys like us.

Q

Posts: 26343 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

...That brings us first to naming the Republican gift giver: Senator Chuck Grassley from Iowa. The longtime member of Congress has big time clout as the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. And Grassley has just used that clout to eliminate one of the final hurdles in the already furious pace of Trump administration judicial appointments to the federal bench...

That's my Senator! The other is Joni Ernst, also (R). Let's not forget during the last year of the Osama Regime it was Chuck who did not schedule hearings for Osama's Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland and now we have Neil Gorsuch.

Chuck, you rock (for an old guy)!

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

...That brings us first to naming the Republican gift giver: Senator Chuck Grassley from Iowa. The longtime member of Congress has big time clout as the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. And Grassley has just used that clout to eliminate one of the final hurdles in the already furious pace of Trump administration judicial appointments to the federal bench...

That's my Senator! The other is Joni Ernst, also (R). Let's not forget during the last year of the Osama Regime it was Chuck who did not schedule hearings for Osama's Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland and now we have Neil Gorsuch.

Chuck, you rock (for an old guy)!

A Senator since 1981! Maybe term limits aren’t always a wonderful thing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Yeah, I'd wager that the most thankful are the conservative little guys like us.

Including me!!! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I recommend watching WH Counsel Don McGahn's speech to the Federalist Society convention from November 17, C-SPAN link here.

The Trump Administration--under McGahn, and with the strong cooperation of Grassley and McConnell, will be placing a huge number of judges on Federal courts, and their choices so far have been fantastic.

There is also a "plot", in a paper written by Steven Calabresi of the Federalist Society and Ed Whelan, to "pack" (leftists' terms) the Federal courts by creating many more judgeships to deal with what Calabresi calls a crisis in the courts, in which many if not most decisions are written by law clerks and never reviewed by a judge.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
What's even better is it's an article on CNBC.

Does that stand for Conservative NBC now? LOL

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
in which many if not most decisions are written by law clerks and never reviewed by a judge.

It s that true? WTH...

And how are more judgeships created? Based on polulation, local caseload, do they need to be created by an act of congress or could the executive do it?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

We could use some constitutionalists on the bench.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
in which many if not most decisions are written by law clerks and never reviewed by a judge.

It s that true? WTH...

And how are more judgeships created? Based on polulation, local caseload, do they need to be created by an act of congress or could the executive do it?

ARTICLE III
SECTION 1
The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

It s that true? WTH...

Congress authorizes the judgeships. Certain districts handle more cases. Southern District of California, in San Diego has grown from a couple of judges when I was admitted to several dozen now. Drug smuggling, immigration, the busiest district in the country last I heard.

As to decisions, it is hard to say. I certainly don’t know of any. It’s hard to imagine, certainly at the appellate level. I think what is meant is that decisions are made by the judge and the opinions written by law clerks. From the accounts I’ve seen by judges and clerks, opinions go through a number of drafts, circulated among the other judges on the panel, critiqued, edited as needed, depending on the complexity and novelty of the issues, whether there are joinders, concurrences, dissents, etc. I don’t doubt that clerks do initial drafts and rewrites after discussions, input from that clerk’s judge, and clerks often “recommend” outcomes.

At the district court level, it is still hard to imagine decisions made without judge input at all. There is more more deciding to do, trials, motions, rulings on procedural matters, etc.

Clerkships last a year, sometimes two, occasionally one clerks for a judge one year and is hired for a higher court judge the next. It’s a tremendous resume enhancer, very prestigious. I would think that a clerk who let it be known that he decided certain cases would risk excommunication, given the secrecy, especially at the Supreme Court level. I can see some locker room talk, “when I clerked for old Judge Dunderhead, he was so senile, he couldn’t decide what to have for lunch. We clerks did all the deciding.”

Who knows what reality is.