SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another flat screen bites the dust
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another flat screen bites the dust Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
Panasonic 50" plasma no longer powers on after storms and power surge last night. The same thing happened 3 or 4 years ago.

I guess I'll have to go LED, see no reason for Smart TV or 4K. Thinking LG, Samsung, Vizio, Toshiba.

I never go with extended warranties but may make an exception here, three years with power surge coverage. How does that work, you won't get the same tv down the line, they actually fix them?

My cheap power surge protection strip obviously doesn't work. What does work, understanding lightning is another story? Electric storms last night but nothing close, I guess.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of logrusmaster
posted Hide Post
First, I personally prefer Samsung as a brand for TV's.

Second as far as surge protection IMO you can't go wrong with a UPS. You can find some "OK" ones for 50 bucks.

-------------------------
If not me then who? If not now then when?

Posts: 618 | Location: Earth | Registered: August 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm on my second Sharp. The first one I took into work and put in my office...still works fine after being left on for roughly sixteen hours a day nearly every day for the ten years that I've owned it (I keep them on for background noise and to keep the dog company when I'm not home).

I've not had an issue with either one of them.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both my son and daughter have lost Panasonic plasma TV'S from storms.

Cannot help but wonder if they are more sensitive than other tv's.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by logrusmaster:
Second as far as surge protection IMO you can't go wrong with a UPS. You can find some "OK" ones for 50 bucks.

Thanks. I've used an UPS on the computer for years, no problems with a ton of surges and storms.

I didn't have one on the tv, thinking the plasma's higher draw could be an issue. LED's use a lot less power so, yeah, UPS is probably better than an extended warranty, cheaper too.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
My four year old Samsung LED TV just bit the dust. Seems like apower supply issue - The power goes on and just keeps cycling - nothing ever appears on the screen. Probably just one of those random things that happens.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ive had friends who got money or a replacement from the surge protector company when sometging gets fried. You might try there first.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Even if you don't use the "smart"features, the better processors in these units will deliver better performance, picture wise.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would find an electronics store to look at your TV.

I lost my 65inch last year from a lightning strike coming through the coax. I took it to the repair shop and it would have been like $150 bucks to fix it.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Ive owned 4 Vizio tvs in the last 10 years. The first one we had for 5 years before we upgraded in size. We recently gave it to my brother-in-law when he got married because they didn't have a tv. Still works. The second one is a 48" or thereabouts. Its now in our room and still works great. Have had it for 5 years now. The third is a little 32" or so screen. We call it the "sick tv." My wife was on bedrest and we didnt have the tv in our room yet so we got her that little one for the room at the time, and now the kids get it in their room on sick days. The newest is a 60" tv we got for the family room about 6 or 8 months ago. Its fantastic.

I have had zero issues with any vizio. They are fantastic tvs and, if there ever is a problem, they have some of the best customer service in the tv industry. (Samsung is the exact opposite of that.)

As for smart and 4k, both are now the standard. So if its not smart or 4k, a lot of those TVs are cheaper. My walmart had 55" Samsung curved tvs on clearance for $349 yesterday -smart, but not 4k.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I have had really good luck with Samsung. Since 2009 I have had two, and the first one was totally fine, just too small for my ageing eyes so I got this one.

https://smile.amazon.com/Samsu...-Smart/dp/B00U9U9F7U

Also had good luck with a smaller Vizio.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Your Panasonic may be pining for the fjords but try this before you buy another TV:

Sniff the TV for a burnt smell: if it smells burnt it should be immediately unplugged from power (and everything else). Don't mess with it, either get it repaired or just replace it.

If it smells normal it should be OK to check out. First, unplug TV power cable from wall and then unplug ALL other cables from TV. Let it sit that way at least 15 minutes so any capacitors can fully discharge. Plug just the power cable back in and see if it will power on. If it does power up go into the setup menu and do a factory reset, then set up as if new. If it doesn't power up but you see the power indicator light blinking it may be repairable but will need a trip to the shop.

Lightning is accompanied by static discharge that plays hell with the micro-processors in modern electronics. Lightning usually causes physical damage but sometimes you get lucky and the static discharge just sort of "scrambles" its brains. A lot depends on whether it took a true over-voltage hit via 120v power or if it was hit through coax or a HDMI cable.

Another recommendation is to make sure any cable TV, satellite or outside antenna cables are properly grounded. Many cable company installers won't take the time to do a proper ground which leaves you wide open for damage during thunderstorms. Might save you the cost of the next TV.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Samsung, and you might as well go 4k.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I bought my Samsung 52" in 2007 and it's still running fine.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If you play video games Samsung if not Sony.
I think Sony gives a far better picture for television with real people but Samsung better picture for animation and video games.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
Your Panasonic may be pining for the fjords but try this before you buy another TV...unplug TV power cable from wall and then unplug ALL other cables from TV.

Yee haw!! After sitting unplugged for a day, I powered it up, bingo!

Wal-Mart had a great deal on a Smart 4K Samsung 50" but of course out of stock. They had another great deal on a standard 1080P Sanyo, too good to pass up. Switching it over to my existing articulating wall mount couldn't have been a bigger PITA and I'm very disappointed with the picture.

It'll be going back but I'm keeping the $39 UPS they had. Smile Smile Smile

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you one and all!!

Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Vizio.
36" and 55" doing well after 5 or so years.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one brand I avoid is Sony . I know this is anecdotal but over the years, every piece of Sony electronics I have had has gone belly up, be it TV's, cassette players, DVD players, video cameras, etc. I once had a top of the line Sony TV in the days before flat screens. When it broke, the repair tech said it had the sloppiest soldering inside he'd ever seen . My last few TV's have been LED Samsungs and I've had pretty good luck with them, although the most recent one has a slight washout problem when viewed from an angle. I thought they had fixed that issue some years back .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
Your Panasonic may be pining for the fjords but try this before you buy another TV...unplug TV power cable from wall and then unplug ALL other cables from TV.

Yee haw!! After sitting unplugged for a day, I powered it up, bingo!

Wal-Mart had a great deal on a Smart 4K Samsung 50" but of course out of stock. They had another great deal on a standard 1080P Sanyo, too good to pass up. Switching it over to my existing articulating wall mount couldn't have been a bigger PITA and I'm very disappointed with the picture.

It'll be going back but I'm keeping the $39 UPS they had. Smile Smile Smile

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you one and all!!

Glad to hear it worked out! Once you've gotten used to the picture quality of a plasma you tend to notice the flaws on mid/lower end LCDs. If the new UPS is equipped you should run the cable/sat coax through it for additional protection.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If you have two adjacent slots free in your main panel, install a whole house surge protector, for <$100. It will bite off the worst surges. Still use outlet-specific surge protectors and UPS's, for complete protection.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post