SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford President Quits After Reporting Embarrassing $1.7 Billion Loss
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford President Quits After Reporting Embarrassing $1.7 Billion Loss Login/Join 
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I was considering a Raptor as I'm at a point in my life where I can afford it. MSRP on the truck I want is $72,000. The dealer is asking $115,000 for the truck and won't budge.

I won't be getting a Raptor or any other Ford.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Everyone saying that rising fuel prices will cause a return to sedans is missing the boat on some massive changes that have occurred in the auto industry. Most of the SUVs being sold today are crossovers. They are essentially station wagons with all wheel drive. They mostly use the same engines that sedans would use. They are built like cars, on car platforms. They get similar fuel economy to sedans. My mom’s RAV4 for example gets over 30 mpg on the highway, as good as just about any sedan would get. A sudden spike in fuel prices might hurt pickup truck sales but it’s not going to cause people to switch from crossover SUVs to sedans when there is in essence no fuel economy reason to do so. And a lot of the people who only buy pickups because they want one instead of needing one will likely switch to a crossover SUV.

Someone earlier mentioned that the only American sedan that is selling is the Charger and they are right. The front wheel drive sedans that were being produced drive like crap. Front wheel drive, under steering sedans are no fun to drive and aren’t as versatile as crossover SUVs. When there is no real fuel economy disadvantage to driving a crossover SUV, and you can get a more comfortable, upright seating position, more cargo area and all wheel drive people are going to, and overwhelmingly have chosen crossover SUVs. So that’s why the only sedans that people are buying is the Charger and in a number of cases European sedans and AWD sedans like Subarus because those sedans are more fun to drive. When there isn’t much if any disadvantage to choosing a crossover SUV in terms of fuel economy, purchase price, maintenance cost, etc. then there has to be some compelling reason to buy the sedan. A front wheel drive sedan just doesn’t offer that reason to buy because they drive just as crappy as a crossover SUV so people aren’t buying them. This is being demonstrated with evidence of perennial great selling sedans such as the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry that are both significantly declining in sales.

If a company is only offering soulless not fun to drive vehicles for the masses then people are going to buy the ones that are the most comfortable and versatile. That’s why companies aren’t making sedans anymore because there is only so much demand for them. Not everyone can afford to have a vehicle that is purchased primarily because it is fun to drive so there is only so much demand for non crossover SUVs.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I was considering a Raptor as I'm at a point in my life where I can afford it. MSRP on the truck I want is $72,000. The dealer is asking $115,000 for the truck and won't budge.

You need to find another dealer. I even got a small discount off sticker on my wife’s 2017 Raptor in 2017 when they were much harder to get. If you’re willing to fly out to a dealer and drive your Raptor back you can definitely buy one at or below sticker.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
quote:

You need to find another dealer. I even got a small discount off sticker on my wife’s 2017 Raptor in 2017 when they were much harder to get. If you’re willing to fly out to a dealer and drive your Raptor back you can definitely buy one at or below sticker.

That’s what I was thinking.
For shits and giggles I looked up my local dealer and he has 3 Raptors all discounted...

https://www.magiccityautogroup...l=f-150&_trim=raptor

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
So, how many millions did this guy take with him?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was President at Ford Automotive, not President/CEO of Ford Motor Company, and not the Chairman of the Board.

If you want to clean house, start at the top, not the #3 guy, but then the Ford Family (Billy Jr.) and their hand picked CEO can't be wrong...

The Detroit-3 have been losing money on small cars for a long time. There are a lot of reasons, most of which have been discussed - boring product, customer preference for SUV's and crossovers, quality, etc. The move to DI turbo engines and CVT's and/or 9-speed automatic transmissions has significantly improved fuel economy overall.

But the big thing is this - it is really hard to make any money on small and mid-size sedans. The crossover version of a sedan that is mechanically identical, but with just a taller wagon body and bigger wheels, sells for a considerable premium that is mostly profit margin because the vehicle cost isn't much higher. I remember the margins on Explorers and Navigators in the 90's - since the mechanicals were Ford Ranger and F-Series, and the extra sheetmetal and glass in the back didn't cost a ton extra. Why people value a taller station wagon version of a sedan so much higher that they are willing to pay an extra 20% or higher never made much sense to me. And as long as this is the case, manufacturers would be stupid to insist on making low margin "cars" instead of high margin SUV/Crossovers.

The cost of real trucks is insane now.

I like cars. I like a lower center of gravity and good handling. After driving a 2002 WRX, 2013 WRX, and getting tired of <30 mpg on premium, I now have a 2017 Civic Si getting 40 MPG highway. I can't stand the poor handling a wobbly feel of "tall wagons".

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Manufacturers don’t set prices only MSRP. Dealers can ask whatever price they want. Doesn’t mean they will sell for what they want.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:

It’s not the factory’s fault. That’s what the internet is for. Do a search. I know two guys driving Raptors right now who paid under MSRP.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to buy a new car. But I am no longer willing to crawl in and out because of how low they are and restrictive access.
Won't consider domestic as Toyota has spoiled me on reliability

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post