SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford President Quits After Reporting Embarrassing $1.7 Billion Loss
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford President Quits After Reporting Embarrassing $1.7 Billion Loss Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
I have worked as a consultant for the big three. One thing in common with the selections in leadership is...”this the way we always have done it”. The are alike as peas in a pod in education and experience. And, they all create vehicles and features that people don’t really want to pay for. They should focus on reliability, not cup holders. I hope the continue to survive, but things are gonna have to change.

Bam, on the money. They need to start listening to you. Although I love my cupholders and creature comforts too.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Ford produced the DPS6 transmission KNOWING it was defective from the start.

Every last one is bad. Extremely poor engineering with even worse production.

This is on top of all the defective truck transmissions.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Ford produced the DPS6 transmission KNOWING it was defective from the start.

Every last one is bad. Extremely poor engineering with even worse production.

This is on top of all the defective truck transmissions.

https://www.caranddriver.com/n...fore-issuing-recall/

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

And, while I like the new C8 Corvette, I have sworn to never buy another GM vehicle based on what the company did to its shareholder, dealer network and employees, courtesy the stuttering, whistling, miserable excuse for a presidebt that was Obummer.

And the suppliers that were left holding the bag also.

On the dealer network and employees I came close to being in that mess. Career GM parts person, 2008 I was job hunting. Three dealers were courting me, two were up my alley, GM/Isuzu Commercial Truck stores. Both of them were hundred or so daily commutes, the third store was thirty two round trip. Third one made a decent offer so I took it. Both Of the other stores, one closed up, the other lost their GM franchise when the Medium Duty division ceased operations but remained open as an factory authorized parts and service outlet together with their independent truck up fitting and repair that they did for many years.

I know of four retirees that today are back in the work force as a result of their heavy investments in GM stock as part of their portfolio. Each of these guys were low level salaried and were wiped out financially. Now in this 70’s they have been forced back into the work world. And the Delphi salaried employees got it even worse.

2012 I swore never to buy a post bankruptcy GM vehicle, bought two FCA products that year. Some of the shenanigans I dealt with post bankruptcy indicated it was business as usual for the corporation, that nothing would change.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, here's the funny thing. Probably known by everyone here, but at the recent D. C. Auto Show, the Toyota zone had cars all over the place festooned with banners that read, "Made in USA."

Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, BMW VW, and others now make some of their models entirely in the USA. Not so the "US" companies.

I suspect unions have a lot to do with this.

It is no secret that these companies will not build manufacturing plants anywhere near union territory because the labor costs are so high.

“US” automakers do not have that ability and I do think it hurts them.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, it's well known I have nothing but contempt for GM after the only union built piece of trash I ever bought.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Ford gave up on passenger cars. Why because they were getting their asses kicked by Honda and Toyota that build more reliable cars. They chased the market and tried to make jelly bean shaped appliances on wheels with no personality, but they didn't have the reputation for reliability. Ford couldn't win trying to do what the Japanese did.

Why not try something different? Everybody makes the generic 4 door appliance sedan. Stretch the wheelbase of the Mustang and make it a four door sedan. Give it some aggressive styling; quad headlights, horizontal billet grille, call it the Falcon. Think what BMW 3 series used to be at substantial less price. The new Exploder is a rear wheel drive platform. Make it into a sedan, again give it some aggressive styling and it's the Galaxy, put the 5.0 in it and it's the Galaxy 500.

About the only successful American sedan these days is the Charger. Why? Aggressive styling, performance and rear wheel drive, there's nothing else in the market place that's comparable.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've worked union jobs and I'll admit that they were the most unhappy years of my life. Unions have severe problems and need a renaissance really, really bad.

However, it's not the union or unionized workers that made the decision to produce a car that's sub-par. Someone at the top decides to cut corners, not the guy on the line. The problems mentioned here involve bad management and bad culture. There's no way around that.

Peter Lynch, a famous mutual fund manager, never even considered unionization when he decided on what to include in his funds. It was all product and management for him.

My personal opinion; the only way to reform an organization is to destroy it. People and organizations never change. Maybe it's time for these car companies to fail - completely.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
My personal opinion; the only way to reform an organization is to destroy it. People and organizations never change. Maybe it's time for these car companies to fail - completely.

GM should have been allowed to fail.

Someone would have bought some or all of the pieces out of bankruptcy and a new, more efficient company would have emerged. But the new company would likely have shed the union... and neither GWB nor Barack Obama wanted to allow that to happen. The entire domestic automotive industry would be healthier today if it had been a regular bankruptcy rather than the government stacking the deck in favor of saving the unions.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Someone would have bought some or all of the pieces out of bankruptcy and a new, more efficient company would have emerged. But the new company would likely have shed the union... and neither GWB nor Barack Obama wanted to allow that to happen. The entire domestic automotive industry would be healthier today if it had been a regular bankruptcy rather than the government stacking the deck in favor of saving the unions.
^^^This. Nothing annoys me more than to hear a supposedly well educated person claim GM had to be saved by the government because had it failed, it would have disappeared from the industry leaving thousands unemployed. Anyone who believes that knows nothing about how markets like that work. The unions caused the bailout to occur, which was in an of itself illegal for the government to have meddled in.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was just a thinly disguised Democrat payoff to the people that funded and voted for them for so long, organized labor.
No good reason to not let them bankrupt and reorganize into a better, more modern operation.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Exactly.

———————————————

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it is true that Ford did not receive TARP money, they did get bailed out by taxpayers. Ford received $5.9 billion in low interest loans through the TALF program to develop more fuel-efficient autos. This was a bailout by another name.
quote:
I cheered when Ford refused to take any Obama bailout money (the only U. S. automaker to do so), but frowned when they decided to eliminate North American manufacturing for most of its sedans.

And, while I like the new C8 Corvette, I have sworn to never buy another GM vehicle based on what the company did to its shareholder, dealer network and employees, courtesy the stuttering, whistling, miserable excuse for a presidebt that was Obummer.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, here's the funny thing. Probably known by everyone here, but at the recent D. C. Auto Show, the Toyota zone had cars all over the place festooned with banners that read, "Made in USA."

Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, BMW VW, and others now make some of their models entirely in the USA. Not so the "US" companies.

I suspect unions have a lot to do with this.

My Honda Ridgeline was built in Alabama. I have had a few people make comments about it being Japanese. When I tell them my truck is built in the USA and their shit is built in Mexico they don’t have anything else to say.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12636 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Final assembly is only a small part of the manufacturing of a vehicle. Sources of raw materials, parts, subassemblies, and major items like engines and transmissions can come from many places.

That said, the Detroit-3 have master contracts that make all of their plants UAW shops. GM and Ford jettisoned their parts divisions into Delphi and Visteon to get rid of a bunch of inefficient union plants that in the case of Delphi shut down GM with a long strike in the 1990's.

The Japanese, Korean, and German transplants are almost all in right-to-work states, and non-unionized.

I used to work for Ford, and yeah the management was insular and did a lot of dumb things. It took the former CEO of Boeing to stop Ford from building cars they weren't selling, instead of keeping the plants running and discounting the cars at a loss, because they had to pay the union (the old jobs bank) whether they worked or not. That thinking may have made sense in the old days, but not when direct labor is 10% of the cost. Anyone with decent education/experience in business and operations knows this, but the metrics were set up to favor the wrong behaviors.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
While it is true that Ford did not receive TARP money, they did get bailed out by taxpayers. Ford received $5.9 billion in low interest loans through the TALF program to develop more fuel-efficient autos. This was a bailout by another name.

The BIG difference is that we, the US taxpayers, are making money off of Ford. GM cost us over 11 billion dollars in losses. This was all covered earlier in this thread.

———————————————

Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Ford made a big mistake by eliminating all their passenger cars. Then compounded it by putting their eco shit in all their trucks and Suv's. The minute gas creeps back up Ford will go under.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much he got paid to quit?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the 'bailouts' were never for the auto companies. They were to bail out the UAW. Had any of the 'big 3' gone through bankruptcy, the company that emerged would have shed a LOT of waste and shuttered a lot of unprofitable plants. And in the process shed themselves of a lot of the union contracts. The little Marxist even knew that. And no way the Dhims would let their cash cow get gutted. IIRC the UAW even got a seat on the board at GM despite their not having put up any money and giving up nothing. It was just a way of taking taxpayer money and laundering it back to the DNC. And the Repugs couldn't fight it. Had they done so and been successful they'd never win a rust belt state in a national election for a generation. And they well knew that. And even though in the long run we all would have been better off had GM gone through bankruptcy, there would have been some severe pain in the short term. And no one wanted their name associated with that.

And I always thought the decision by Ford to be odd. It's true they didn't make a lot of inspiring sedans, but a bit of effort could have changed that in time. And it's true they sell a lot of trucks and SUV's, but right now the price of oil is pretty low. But it's only a matter of time someone in the Mid-East starts chucking bombs. A big hike in fuel prices and they'll have huge lots full of unsold inventory with no viable product in the pipeline. If that does happen, Ford will pine for the years where they only lost $1.7 billion.

That being said, if you are the captain while this much money gets blown you should be ousted. I really fail to see how a company can lose that much money and not be taking proactive steps to stop the bleeding before it gets to that point. But with the replacement of the president coming from inside, I don't really see the likelihood of some out of the box thinking that is needed to turn that around.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then compounded it by putting their eco shit in all their trucks and Suv's.

I love my EcoShit motor. Ford was ahead of the curve on this. Now everyone is using turbo charged motors.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post