SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Post Thanksgiving PSA Re: deep frying a turkey
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post Thanksgiving PSA Re: deep frying a turkey Login/Join 
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted
No, I didn't burn anything down.
All I burned was the bird.
Seems that the long probe thermometer that came with the kit I bought years ago decided it was done giving accurate temp readings.
According to my infrared heat gun (tested after the bird came out, unfortunately) the oil I thought was right at 350 degrees was actually closer to 410.
36 minutes at 400+ degrees was a wee bit too long for that 12 pounder.
Breasts and thighs were salvageable for tomorrow's leftover concoctions like pot pie and soup, but a little too dry to serve.
Legs and wings were a total loss, sadly.
Fortunately, I baked one in the oven as well. So I got the requisite white meat to put me into an l-tryptofan coma after dinner.

Next year, I'll deploy the temp gun from the start.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks. All the cost and time involved.

I haven’t done it in awhile, but when I fried a turkey, I would do three. One for us, and the other two for family members. Just figured it’s all set up, might just as well, and after bird three, the oil is dark. Time to chuck it.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
This was my 2nd year deep frying and it turned out amazing. I cooked my 13 pounder for 40 minutes and it was the perfect amount of time. I can't wait for tomorrow to get some leftovers.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Although I hope to some day, I've never had a fried turkey that was worth a damn. I suspect the cooks weren't worth a damn either, as they were uniformly skinny.

Give me 3 hours, a Weber grill, a double handful of Apple wood chips, and a turkey covered in Famous Daves chicken rub. Im fat enough to butcher. Wink

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ouch.

Thank goodness you had a second one in the oven.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before frying whole turkeys became the thing to do we would cut up the turkey into frying size chunks, mix buttermilk, a small amount of flour, a couple of eggs, pepper, soak the turkey in that mix for a couple of hours in the fridge, then put some seasoned flour in a bag, add the turkey, shake to coat with flour then deep fry to a golden brown. Talk about a good turkey sandwich.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Always wonder why people only make turkey so frequently.

I'll bake or fry a few turkeys during the year. Mostly to mix up the protein source as well to have lunch and dinner for a week

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I had one done in bacon fat, best turkey I have ever had.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post