SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need some German WW1 poems translated, anyone help?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I need some German WW1 poems translated, anyone help? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I am trying to do a project showing the commonness of the war in the trenches between German and British poetry but I am having a difficult time finding German poetry that's been translated (properly, not google). My email is in my profile.

Thanks Ed

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
BansheeOne is a SF member from Germany but he hasn't posted since December.

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
http://www.worldwar1.com/sfgp1e.htm

Your post does not make clear if you need to have some poems translated from German into English, or you WANT some German poems that have been translated into English.

My link is to a German poem translated into English.

tac, pedant in five languages.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Report This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I need some translated into English or ones that have been translated already. I found a few but nothing that fit what I am looking for. I want to do a comparison to show that the soldiers of both sides had the same experience. The plan is the class will be split in half one side will will a German writing and the other a English writing. Using small post it notes they will make notes of what strikes them as being a personal feeling or experience. Then I will have them remove their sticky notes and hold on to them. Then the sides will change poems and see if they can stick their notes on the opposites sides writings to see if they can find shared experiences or common feelings.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
How about a book on the subject, "Poetry of the First World War."
Poetry of First World War

SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Report This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I looked at that on amazon a few days ago but it felt like it was mostly English.

YAT-YAS

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I have 'The Lost Voices of World War 1', by Tim Cross - 'an international anthology of writers, poets and playwrights'. all of whom died in the war. Each has a critical biography and selection of work. Where the author is not English speaking the original is given with a translation. Some of the German language authors are Austrian.

Although you may not find a German Wilfred Owen there are some interesting pieces.

One of them - Ernst Stadler - was killed in the 1st Battle of Ypres, so he may be buried in Langemarck.

Available from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/0877452644

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Report This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Hey Tac, I tried that link and searching it on Amazon to no luck. Could you please send me the link.

Thanks

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
Hey Tac, I tried that link and searching it on Amazon to no luck. Could you please send me the link.

Thanks

'The Lost Voices of World War 1', by Tim Cross

Posts: 2540 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Report This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks Got it, will be here on Sat.

YAT-YAS

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
This is not poetry, but it is art from the soldiers. Perhaps useful as a supplement to the poetry. This is from the Great War Series with Indy Neidell. I doubt that you will find a german Siegfred Sassoon. You can find two YT videos of Mr. Sassoon reading his poems. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/CHNuHsZ59rg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Report This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
@OP. Remember who won. THEIR poetry is what has survived most.

Germany, OTOH, undoubtedly had war poets, but the main feeling one gets from their poetry is political, rather than abstract, melancholy and regretful, as the poetry of the allies turned out to be.

Much of German poetry was suppressed and subsumed by the sheer feeling of political betrayal that the greater part of the population felt after the Armistice. For every one German poet, there were at least ten from the allies, mostly, it has to be said, British, many of whom died in the trenches like so many composers on the brink of greatness. George Butterworth - 'Banks of Green Willows', was shot by a sniper... Even the sons of famous authors were not exempt - Rudyard Kipling's son died there, too.

tac