SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer folks a question please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer folks a question please Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
This problem first manifested itself on IE11 browser but now it seems to have spread to Edge.
When I am trying to view a page in another tab I get a lot of freezing up and a message along the bottom "Recover page". Also at times the page will not close nor will the original home page close out and, I have to use task manager to knock it down. I thought maybe Silverlight might be the culprit so I un-installed it however it has not seemed to help. Is there any thing else I can do?, or is my computer ready for the graveyard?

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
With the past problems I've suffered through using IE (and I won't go near Edge), my suggestion would be to install Google Chrome and try it. I run Chrome on all of my machines (four total), and have had no issues with it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Clear out all the temporary files for the browsers. The free CCleaner can help with that but beware by default it will clear recent URL entries unless you uncheck it. Filename starts with ccsetup.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

After that download/install/update/run free version of Malwarebytes, remove what it finds, and reboot. Note the filename will start with mb3-setup-. Do not install if another filename in case your computer has malware that redirects to a bogus website for download.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.c...ebytes-anti-malware/ -- select download now.

Then download and run ADWcleaner from link below and follow instructions. Note it may reboot computer when done so close all programs and save any data before running. Filename is adwcleaner.exe.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

I suggest manually checking for Windows Updates when done and install what critical updates it shows is needed.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Google Chrome fixed all of my internet problems
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Kudos to grumpy, he saved me a lot of time and typing.
Another trick I always use is to reduce IE's 250MB cache to a more manageable 50MB and move my temporary internet files folder to a way more practical location inside c:\temp

Easier to keep an eye on those pesky temp files and make sure they go away when I say so.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Yes you really should use a different browser. if you're a google docs addict use Chrome if you want highly customizable use firefox.

If you insist on IE go to internet options and click on the Advanced tab. Click "reset" and reboot the computer.

Run a scan and make sure no malware has attached itself to IE.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post