SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Link to Gun shooting statistics in the USA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Link to Gun shooting statistics in the USA Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
I have a F U Conversation with a liberal Philadelphia Inquirer reporter and need a link to shove up her giggy....
Thanks!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Her Printed quote "Americans are 10 times as likely to be killed by a gun than in other developed counties - where there are also cars. When compared to 22 other high-income countries, the US gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher.
It is a huge public health issue and it is time it should be treated like one."

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing that study she's referencing, the caveat was that if you threw out Chicago and a couple other major cities, that number dropped like a rock.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
http://www.politifact.com/trut...correctly-compare-i/

quote:
More recent data

When we contacted Hemenway seeking newer data, he sent us a November 2015 paper done with Erin Grinshteyn of the University of Nevada-Reno, which found that the U.S. homicide rate was 7 times higher than 23 other high-income countries — 25 times higher if you only look at gun deaths. But the paper offers no breakdown by gender. It used 2010 mortality data from the World Health Organization.

We contacted Grinshteyn directly, and she sent us the 2010 rates for women in more detail. We've put it in chart form.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
So? If women were really concerned about this, wouldn't they be jumping ship and moving to safer countries?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Give Terry McAuliffe a call

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Student of Weapons Craft
Picture of Exodus
posted Hide Post
If video will work, Bill Whittle sums it up nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Posts: 261 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Why do you need statistics and facts in a F U argument? Just find more clever ways of insulting the other person and their entire belief system.

If you're looking for facts:
  • Professor John Lott's Crime Prevention Research Organization
  • FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Armed and Gregarious
    Picture of DMF
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Why do you need statistics and facts in a F U argument? Just find more clever ways of insulting the other person and their entire belief system.

If you're looking for facts:
  • Professor John Lott's Crime Prevention Research Organization
  • FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting
  • Lott's credibility is worthless, to anyone that actually bothers to look into his past. Best to find other sources.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of grumpy1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by downtownv:
    Her Printed quote "Americans are 10 times as likely to be killed by a gun than in other developed counties - where there are also cars. When compared to 22 other high-income countries, the US gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher.
    It is a huge public health issue and it is time it should be treated like one."

I agree 100 percent but guns are not the problem. Gangs and inner city violence being the root cause due to broken families, lack of two parent families, parents that don't give a shit about their children beyond being a welfare check, community members that turn a blind eye to criminal activity, courts that are extremely lenient with violent offenders, complicit city politicians that ignore the violence for votes, democratic liberal policies that have caused all this enslaving generations of families addicted to welfare, and hatred of the police fostered by obama and his ilk.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of konata88
    posted Hide Post
    Does she differentiate between a symptom (i.e. Gun violence) and a cause (i.e. Drug gangs, etc)?

I know she doesn't. Liberals, what more need be said?

After she eliminates the Second, what right would she like to have eliminated next? Once the 2nd is gone, the rest will follow....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
    "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Essayons
    Picture of SapperSteel
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by DMF:
    . . .Lott's credibility is worthless, to anyone that actually bothers to look into his past. Best to find other sources.

Really? Explain please.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Doin' what I can
    with what I got
    Picture of Rob Decker
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SapperSteel:
    quote:
    . . .Lott's credibility is worthless, to anyone that actually bothers to look into his past. Best to find other sources.

Really? Explain please.

Agreed. Inquiring minds want to know.

----------------------------------------
    Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rob Decker:
    quote:
    quote:

Really? Explain please.

I think he is referring to last August's article by the commie rag Think Progress. You know, the people who have lied for years about crime statistics, gun statistics, economics, etc. I discarded it because liberals project (i.e. liberals commit fraud so they think everyone else does) and they're children (i.e. you called our bogus study bogus so we'll call your academic legit study bogus).

Here is what ThinkProgress has to say about themselves:
    quote:
    ThinkProgress is a news site dedicated to providing our readers with rigorous reporting and analysis from a progressive perspective. Founded in 2005, ThinkProgress is an editorially independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund. Over the past decade, the site has evolved from a small rapid response blog to a newsroom of reporters and editors covering the intersections between politics, policy, culture, and social justice.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    You have to understand that the "gun violence" statistics used by liberals is arrived at by adding up three separate statistics kept by the FBI - statistics for criminal gun homicides, justifiable homicides, and guns by suicides.

The last time I looked, Alaska was one of the states that had the most gun rights. It also has the lowest statistics for criminal gun violence. But when you add up the suicides by guns, it goes to the top of the list of gun violence correlated with gun rights.

But if you look at what kind of a place Alaska is, you'd understand it has a high rate of alcoholism, depression, etc. which correlates with a high rate of suicide. Simply because guns are more available and its effectiveness, you can see why it's the choice.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Armed and Gregarious
    Picture of DMF
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rob Decker:
    quote:
    quote:

Really? Explain please.

I think he is referring to last August's article by the commie rag Think Progress. You know, the people who have lied for years about crime statistics, gun statistics, economics, etc. I discarded it because liberals project (i.e. liberals commit fraud so they think everyone else does) and they're children (i.e. you called our bogus study bogus so we'll call your academic legit study bogus).

Here is what ThinkProgress has to say about themselves:
    quote:
    ThinkProgress is a news site dedicated to providing our readers with rigorous reporting and analysis from a progressive perspective. Founded in 2005, ThinkProgress is an editorially independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund. Over the past decade, the site has evolved from a small rapid response blog to a newsroom of reporters and editors covering the intersections between politics, policy, culture, and social justice.
    You would be wrong. His dishonesty was exposed, and he admitted to part of it, more than a decade before your citation was published.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Armed and Gregarious
    Picture of DMF
    posted Hide Post
    The truth about Lott's lack of credibility:

http://reason.com/archives/200...mystery-of-mary-rosh

. . . consider the case of John R. Lott, author of More Guns, Less Crime, which argues that concealed-carry gun laws reduce crime. In 1999 the sociologist Otis Dudley Duncan questioned Lott's claim that "if national surveys are correct, 98 percent of the time that people use guns defensively, they merely have to brandish a weapon to break off an attack."

The major research on defensive gun use, Duncan objected, had shown firing rates ranging from 21 percent to over 60 percent. Lott replied that "national surveys" actually referred to his own heretofore unknown survey of 2,424 households. When Duncan pressed him for the survey data, Lott demurred, saying a hard drive crash had destroyed his data set and the original tally sheets had been lost. In fact, there seemed to be no record at all of the study, nor could Lott recall the names of any of the students who he said had worked on it. Some people began to suspect the study, which is tangential to Lott's conclusions in More Guns, didn't exist. . .

. . . Meanwhile, several of the bloggers who had been writing about the controversy -- a group that included me -- drew the ire of someone called Mary Rosh. Rosh, who identified herself as a former student of Lott's who had long admired his fairness and rigor, said that it was irresponsible to post links to the survey debate without calling Lott first. This sounded odd, not only because bloggers very seldom do that kind of background research before posting a link, but because Lott had made precisely the same criticism several times in e-mails to bloggers covering the story.

A Google search revealed that Rosh had for several years been a prolific contributor to Usenet forums, where she regularly and vociferously defended the work of Lott. On a whim, I compared the I.P. address on Rosh's comment to the one on an e-mail Lott had sent me from his home. They were the same.

I posted all of this, and to his credit Lott confessed. "The MaRyRoSh pen name account," he explained, "was created years ago for an account for my children, using the first two letters of the names of my four sons."

The news spread quickly, and the second round of distributed investigation began. Bloggers unearthed old posts by "Rosh" and linked to them on their sites. Among the gems: "[Lott] was the best professor that I ever had....Lott finally had to tell us that it was best for us to try and take classes from other professors more to be exposed to other ways of teaching graduate material." Many were troubled by Rosh's apparent attempt to get an online interlocutor, who claimed to have anonymously peer-reviewed one of Lott's papers, to reveal his identity. (Lott later told The Chronicle of Higher Education that he was merely trying to force his opponent to confess that he had lied about being an academic.) . . .

Armed and Gregarious
    Picture of DMF
    posted Hide Post
    Many Pro gun people choose to ignore the info above because they like what they hear from him, rather than insisting on research from someone that isn't a proven/admitted liar.

Picture of downtownv
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks, I took some various points and created a polite response and referenced various links.
    Thanks for the rapid fire responses/links.