SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Birmingham mayor promises: "Give me your gun and I will personally help you get a job."
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Birmingham mayor promises: "Give me your gun and I will personally help you get a job." Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
Oh, and the BLM crowd hates the idea. Smile

http://www.al.com/news/birming..._your_gun_and_i.html

If you have a gun but no job, and would rather work than commit a crime, mayor Randall Woodfin has a proposition.

"Give me your gun and I will personally help you get a job," he says.

Woodfin was speaking with members of the Birmingham Association of Black Journalists on Saturday morning in a wide-ranging exchange that lasted more than an hour. Topics included the city's ailing pension fund, gentrification, food deserts, education, the woeful state of public board governance, and the challenges in trying to lure the 2020 Democratic National Convention to Birmingham.

Not surprisingly, the conversation was dominated by crime.

Thus far in 2018, 34 homicides have been committed in Birmingham, 53 countywide.

"We have a full breach of public safety in this community," he said. "If we don't attack crime, nothing else matters."

Woodfin and U.S. Attorney Jay E. Town have been developing a plan to reduce violent crime in the city. Earlier this month, they convened a Public Safety Task Force, comprising 11 state and local law enforcement and public agencies.

The group came under criticism, however, by representatives of the Birmingham Chapter of Black Lives Matter, which, in an article published last week on Medium, said the lack of grassroots activists and organizers on the task force was a "hard pill to swallow."

"Alarmingly," the article continued, "'One of the task force's first orders of business was to develop a short list of serious offenders who have drawn the attention of various task force agencies in the past.' In other words, the task force will likely target former offenders in the off-chance that they will re-offend. Black Lives Matter Birmingham does not agree with this method of engagement."

"They say don't they want 'the man,' white people, terrorizing the neighborhoods," Woodfin said. "Well, there are black people terrorizing our neighborhoods. I don't see anyone jumping up and down about that.

"I support Black Lives Matter," the mayor added. "There was a rumor that the task force was going to arrest innocent people. That's BS. ... We're not going to arrest people for not doing anything. But if you hurt people, you need to be arrested--if you're shooting and killing people, shooting at houses or cars.

"There is an element in our city that doesn't care about other people's lives. If any organization has a better way of stopping them than arresting them, show me. I will sit with them as long as needed."

Woodfin says a Black Lives Matter representative called him last Monday requesting a meeting; he says he agreed to meet. Two days later, the group publicly voiced its criticisms.

"I'm willing to talk with any group, but they've got to be on the solutions end," Woodfin said.

In its article, BLM Birmingham stated: "...we find the contention that community members must act as their own policy consultants highly classist and egregious," before asking that the mayor "hire real grassroots consultants."

"If you have a better solution, please implement it and show me the results of whatever plan you run," Woodfin added. "If it works, I will pivot, support it and fund it. Until then, I will fight crime with every resource I have because people are dying."

Woodfin turns 37 in May. He acknowledged a generational disconnect regarding the best approaches to fighting crime.

"When I talk to the mommas and the big mommas in the neighborhoods, they want more police," he said. "People my age and younger say more policing is wrong. As mayor, I'm in the middle."

The administration is in discussions, Woodfin said, to expand the hours of the city's 21 rec centers this summer to make them a "safe space" for youth during some of the most violent times of the day.

"That's not negotiable," he said.

The mayor didn't commit to an all-out gun exchange but reaffirmed his offer in response to the belief by some that poverty is at the root of most crimes.

"Poverty is an issue in the city of Birmingham, and people not having jobs is an issue," he said. "But the notion that people are committing crime because they don't have a job? I won't disagree or agree. Do you want a job if you're out robbing people, shooting and killing people? If you do, cool, come tell me."

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The mayor needs to hand out condoms and birth control pills.

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
As always they encourage imbeciles to seek government handouts. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
'Birmingham Association of Black Journalists.'

Would I be right in thinking that there is no 'Birmingham Association of White Journalists'?

If that is the case, then it's just like here in yUK, then, where it would probably be considered as 'rascist', and 'ethnically-exclusive', let alone 'racially-profiling' and 'inter-racially provocative'.

tac

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would I be right in thinking that there is no 'Birmingham Association of White Journalists'?

I am more than confident you already know the answer to that question...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Given human nature, the likely result is that the city will have less money and no reduction in violent crime. And until BLM admits reality, things will only get worse.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The mayor needs to hand out condoms and birth control pills.

But don't welfare recipients get paid based on the number of kids they have? Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

Tac may not have ever been to Birmingham. I've been to Birmingham. Oh yea, I've been to Birmingham. Eek

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

Tac may not have ever been to Birmingham. I've been to Birmingham. Oh yea, I've been to Birmingham. Eek
So between the 2 "Birmingham's", which one? Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
food deserts

???

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
He needs to establish a "free-fire" zone like they did on the south side of Chicago.

Let them sort the issues out among themselves. No back-up, no EMS entry, no cops. Bang! You're dead.

Besides, I doubt McDonald's and Burger King can use all those workers.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
food deserts

???

That also caught my attention. WTH??

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
food deserts

???

A longstanding issue in poor, urban areas which frequently lack chain or even independent grocery stores. Instead, there are many corner convenience stores whose stock is generally limited to snack items and perhaps a small assortment of canned goods and bread.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I support Black Lives Matter," the mayor added.
He lost all credibility with that statement. These a-holes are part of the problem, not the solution Skippy. Society has devolved so far in these urban cesspools that the very best anyone could hope for is for LE to simply hold the flow back into their respective communities and in so doing, concentrate the crime and killing. But resolving the core problems? Never gonna happen.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This is the kind of thinking that turns first world societies into 3rd world cesspools.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:
quote:
food deserts

???

A longstanding issue in poor, urban areas which frequently lack chain or even independent grocery stores. Instead, there are many corner convenience stores whose stock is generally limited to snack items and perhaps a small assortment of canned goods and bread.

...And when someone invests and opens a grocery store, the residents steal it blind or burn it to the ground and the residents demand someone else build there.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
"Alarmingly," the article continued, "'One of the task force's first orders of business was to develop a short list of serious offenders who have drawn the attention of various task force agencies in the past.' In other words, the task force will likely target former offenders in the off-chance that they will re-offend. Black Lives Matter Birmingham does not agree with this method of engagement."

My response would be "Too bad. Extensive research, based on real data, rather than wishes, dreams and emotional rhetoric, has repeatedly shown that previous offenders are XX times more likely to offend than those without a prior history. Our mission is to make neighbourhoods safe for peaceful, law-abiding, tax-paying citizens. To that end we will proceed in the most effective lawful manner possible."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another out of touch liberal, progressive democrat filled with lies, false promises, and an association with a violent group.....Black Lives Matter.
Are people really this ignorant, gullible, foolish, stupid, naive?

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yes

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:
quote:
food deserts

???

...And when someone invests and opens a grocery store, the residents steal it blind or burn it to the ground and the residents demand someone else build there.

Food deserts usually result from exactly that behavior but it generally happens to existing, previously profit-making enterprises which find themselves in declining areas but try to hang in there and provide a service to the community. After the losses outweigh the gains, they ultimately close their doors leaving vacant commercial space which is often never repurposed but instead further declines and adds to the urban blight.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post