SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another “Made in the US” challenge...tools?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another “Made in the US” challenge...tools? Login/Join 
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted
Some members were helpful in pointing me to Bondhus when I needed a decent torx set that would hold up. Here’s the next challenge.

I’m looking for a basic “homeowners” type tool kit. I’ve already got a nice collection of (old) U.S. made Craftsman tools in my main workshop area. But I need a small, basic toolkit to keep in a utility building on the property where my other tools aren’t readily accessible. Hammer, driver and bits or basic screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrench, tape measure, hex keys, etc. Something along these lines, but not Chinese outsourced junk that will break after a month or two.

Does such a kit exist? I suppose I could just assemble it myself piecemeal, but even that seems to be problematic if I want U.S. made, sourced, and owned.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Small bits/ratchet set - Chapman Mfg

Pliers/Wrenches - Channellock. Ok, their adjustable wrenches are made in northern Spain, but my family is originally from the next village over and it’s the gun mfg center of Spain.. so good people Smile

Screwdrivers - Husky

Hammers - Estwing

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://madeinusaforever.com/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'm an advocate of "make your own" collection.

Estwing E12S 12oz Straight Claw Hammer with Leather Grip

Klein Tools #32557 Heavy Duty Multi-Bit Screwdriver/Nut Driver

Channellock 430 10-Inch Tongue and Groove Plier

Klein Tools 5139L Top-Grain Leather Zipper Bag

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about this?
https://www.amazon.com/Craftsm...X3D56Y6D16BF5ZDXC75M

The seller said that it is made in the US

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I would piece meal a kit. Plano, Channellock, Estwing are USA made.
If you don't mind European made:Felo, Wera are good German tools. Wiha is German but some is made in Vietnam.

I know there is more!

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3864 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local regional hardware chain carries craftsman. I have an old complete socket and driver set made in USA but I’m always looking for upgrades. I noticed the screwdrivers and various pliers and snips are all US made. Ratchets and drivers not so much. I’d like to put a nice set of basic tools together for my son and daughter to take away when then leave the nest and then they can add as needed. Crap cobbled from the target or Walmart tool aisle is not a good answer.

Just jaded by buying my own over the years combined with inheriting my grandfathers and even some of my great grandfathers tools that are all still perfectly good to use and I do use them. Actually makes me smile every time I grab one of my grandpas tools as they all had his name electro penciled on him.

Yost bench vises are us made I believe.

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
On the Torx driver thing. I bought a Snap-On set back in 1977 to work on my then new Jeep. I've still got them, and they still work just fine. Yes, they were made in America.

You probably can't find good tools if you buy a ready made tool set. Too hard to find stuff that wasn't made in china, india, tiawan, and so on. If you want real value for your money go to a swap meet and look for the names on the tools. Only select Made in USA from the tables of old tools. Just like people, the older ones know how to work, unlike the young ones.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
On the Torx driver thing. I bought a Snap-On set back in 1977 to work on my then new Jeep. I've still got them, and they still work just fine. Yes, they were made in America.

You probably can't find good tools if you buy a ready made tool set. Too hard to find stuff that wasn't made in china, india, tiawan, and so on. If you want real value for your money go to a swap meet and look for the names on the tools. Only select Made in USA from the tables of old tools. Just like people, the older ones know how to work, unlike the young ones.

There are plenty of great tools Made in the USA that are brand new. Here is just a small sample: https://www.toolbarn.com/usa-made-tools/

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd build my own kit... but it would include a few 'Made in Germany' Knipex tools. Wink

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Vaughan hammers. As good as Estwing and many prefer their handles over Estwing.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
SK tools are made in Colorado Springs CO.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:

There are plenty of great tools Made in the USA that are brand new. Here is just a small sample: https://www.toolbarn.com/usa-made-tools/

I'd check the specific tool I was buying on that list.
As every DeWalt hand tool I've picked up, says 'made in China'.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
I'd check the specific tool I was buying on that list.
As every DeWalt hand tool I've picked up, says 'made in China'.

If you drill down into that Toolbarn site and search for specific categories, it shows which tools are made in the U.S. For example, here's their subcategory for adjustable wrenches. You can see in the list of tools displayed that it flags the U.S. made tools. Very handy.

As usual, thanks to all for the suggestions. I will be able to get a piecemeal kit together based on these links and suggestions.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
SK tools are made in Colorado Springs CO.

Is The Springs still in America. OK, Mexico is here so I guess that qualifies. Last time through there I saw more faces I identified as Mex than 'merican.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

A lot of good suggestions. I happen to like Wright wrenches.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Harry Epstein American made tools. There are often specials, and tools are clearly marked (with a flag symbol) as to country of manufacture. Even not on special, their prices are good.

Also, American made tools may be good, but German made ones are often better. Knipex and Wiha come to mind, though not all Wiha are German made.

Japanese made tools are also excellent quality, with various sources.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post