SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tennessee sheriff boasts about fatal shooting he ordered
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tennessee sheriff boasts about fatal shooting he ordered Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Killed by Batman should be his epitaph.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Equally disturbing is that there is no shortage of people who will follow orders without thought or question.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys act as if this is something new.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]It is very difficult to remove sheriffs in Tennessee. They are elected officials and unless he is convicted of something or decides to quit, he will almost certainly finish his term.[/QUOTE]

A federal Civil rights investigation could always come into play. The Sheriff does not have total immunity,even if the local DA does nothing.

Posts: 12578 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
White County Sheriff Oddie Shoupe

From the White County TN website.

Snip:
Sheriff Shoupe has a philosophy of zero tolerance towards the criminal element, which has been embraced by deputies and community alike.

No shit!
Driving on a suspended? Shoot to kill!

"Low speed chase"
Guess they can't afford spike sticks?

Link with Sherriff's photo.
http://whitecosheriff.org/

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ukhayes
posted Hide Post
Check him out. This guy has been into crap for years. He and a local judge were offering reduced sentences to criminals for voluntary neutering.

Posts: 496 | Location: White House,TN | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All LE Agencies these days have a mission statement, in this case outlined just under the Sheriffs online photo.
I don't think he read it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
He's toast.

Shoupe, there it is.

I'm late to the thread, but... well... that was funny! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think it scares me more that the deputies did it than that the sherrif said it.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I agree the sheriff's comments were foolish and unprofessional, and that Dial should not have been shot, the sheriff and the deputies will likely be protected by Scott v. Harris: https://www.supremecourt.gov/o...ns/06pdf/05-1631.pdf

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the driver was not a deadly threat to anyone, I do not understand how the sheriff or deputies could legally shoot him. I did not read the Scott v. Harris, though. I suspect losing his job will be the least of his problems.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The news article is written to absolutely inflame.

From what I have read in other sources, this was justified.

Sheriff was a dumbass for saying anything like that in any position where it could be recorded, though. Which I understand was said and recorded after the event occurred, not given verbatim as an order to kill him.

quote:
Smithville Police attempted a traffic stop, but Dial allegedly refused to stop. The pursuit continued on Hwy. 70 into White County on Hwy. 111, where Dial allegedly passed vehicles on double yellow lines, ignored stop lights and drove into oncoming traffic.

Police attempted to block Dial’s vehicle to stop him, but Dial rammed into the side and rear of police vehicles multiple times during the pursuit, according to Dunaway.

Dial’s truck drove down an embankment on Hwy. 111 and then began to drive back up the grass hill toward the highway and a Sparta Police officer’s vehicle, which prompted that officer to fire four rounds at Dial’s vehicle. A reserve deputy with the White County Sheriff’s Office also fire several rounds at Dial’s vehicle, which stopped at the bottom of a hill.

The suspect had already engaged in lethal force, according to the SCOTUS's prior rulings, this is pretty clear cut.

http://herald-citizen.com/stor...ed-in-shooting,21545

You can hear the sheriff giving the order to use lethal force if necessary on the video:

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sheriff is a total ass-hat for acting like that.

That being said, there is standing case law where SCOTUS basically says that running from the police in a vehicle is such an inherently dangerous act that deadly force may be authorized just because you're running. I'm NOT saying that this is one of those cases, just that there's something out there on similar circumstances.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/o...pdf/14-1143_f20h.pdf

Sheriff is still an ass-hat.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'd vote for him in the next election.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post