SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have a Limited 4Runner with 4WD?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a Limited 4Runner with 4WD? Login/Join 
posted
I currently have a 4Runner Sport 4WD that I bought new back in 2007. Great car, love it, and I am looking to get either a 2019 Limited 4WD, or a TRD Pro.

My main question is about the full time 4WD on the limited, versus the part time of the TRD. The extent of my 4WD is usually camping 7-8 times a year on my hunting property or on random camp sites. Our property has some muddy areas and I pull people up a muddy hill at least once a year. So just some decent mud with hills, and then the ice/snow on rare occasions.

Will the limited full time 4WD be good enough for what I need? I don’t do extreme trails, but I also don’t want to get stuck.

The TRD Pro and Limited are similar in price. The limited has a few more features I like, and the TRD has some features I might not use (but still cool), but I really need a good 4WD vehicle I don’t have to worry about.

Thanks!

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I believe with the part-time 4-whl drive, you will have a transfer case. That means you will have 4-low. Handy for those times you might be pulling a vehicle out of a ditch.

Full-time 4-whl drive doesn't have a transfer case, so far as I know.

I prefer part-time 4-whl drive. I like the transfer case.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If the option is the I go with selectable 4wd.
I find it to me more useful. Though generally (though not positive how the 4Runner works)since the Auto 4wd has a computer control module that send the signal to the transfer case you can put a switch between the module wire and the transfer case and the control module.
The control module does it’s thing but the transfer case never gets the signal if you have the switch off. Turn the switch off and it functions like normal.

I did this with my Explorer.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
I believe with the part-time 4-whl drive, you will have a transfer case. That means you will have 4-low. Handy for those times you might be pulling a vehicle out of a ditch.

Full-time 4-whl drive doesn't have a transfer case, so far as I know.

I prefer part-time 4-whl drive. I like the transfer case.

Both systems have a transfer case. The TRD uses a lever to manually shift the transfer case while the Limited uses a dial to electronically shift the transfer case. Both have high and low range gearing. From Toyota's website:

DIAL-TYPE TRANSFER CASE
With 4Runner’s available dial-type transfer case on SR5 and
Limited, you can switch into low range for extreme low-speed
off-road conditions with the turn of a dial. Taking on hard
conditions is that easy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about fuel economy? I would assume all wheel drive would have a lower gpm.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
Fuel economy does suffer a bit. I have the FJ cruiser with a full time 4wd (the manual trans have this). My gpm is barely .05 Cool

Posts: 543 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 16 awd limited. The center diff on the limited is lockable.
I believe it is something like a 60 40 split between front and rear. This is normal drive mode. You can lock the center. This gives you a guaranteed 50 50 split. I believe this is called 4LH. 4 locked high. You can also select 4LL. 4 locked low. So yes the limited is a very capable vehicle with a two speed center differential. Though the approach angles aren't as good as other models. Gas mileage is probably 16-17 mpg. As you know some of the features on the limited aren't available on other models. Ultimately we wanted a third row and dual climate control. We have owned it a little over 2 years, 60,000 miles. No issues but I need to do the front brakes.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I prefer the fully selectable/part time 4WD.
Keep in mind most dealers charge a hefty premium for the TRD PRO. I ended up going with a TRD Off Road Premium for about $7500 less than the PRO MSRP or about $11,000 less than what dealers WANTED for the PRO with their bullshit markup.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9691 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm arguing with myself about replacing my Tundra and getting a 4Runner so, this is thread is of interest....

Isn't the Limited merely an interior/trim package...leather upholstery, additional console options and increased interior comforts?

TRD Off-Road replaced Trail Edition?

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I'm arguing with myself about replacing my Tundra and getting a 4Runner so, this is thread is of interest....

Isn't the Limited merely an interior/trim package...leather upholstery, additional console options and increased interior comforts?

TRD Off-Road replaced Trail Edition?

Yes and Yes.

TRD Off Road comes in Premium and Standard. Premium will get you power and heated seats, sunroof, softex (vinyl seats).

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9691 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
All the Land Cruisers have full time 4wd with electronic locking diffs and selectable low gearing.

Not saying the LC and 4Runner have the same systems, but Toyota knows a thing or two about full time 4wd.

With full time 4wd, you also get the benefit of having power to all 4 wheels while daily driving--sudden slippery surfaces weather, evasive maneuvers, etc.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2017 Limited. I am averaging 17.5 MPG with that being primarily around town driving. I suspect my split town to hi way is 70/30. I had a 2015 Trail prior to the Ltd and the mileage was very similar. The Ltd. is very capable if you did not buy it for rock crawling. There is a slight difference on approach/departure angles that might be an issue in very technical terrain. It does not affect my use in the least as we have little rocky terrain in Iowa but I do like the styling on the other versions just a bit better. Visit the 4Runner forum for much more information as there are many threads about the Ltd.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight! I will not be doing any rock crawling or hardcore trails. Sometimes We only take my car to our property and I don’t want to be stranded, cell phone is iffy out there. It is just muddy most of the time as we have a creek and ponds that overflow and some hills that are impossible with the slightest amount of rain unless you have 4WD. My 2007 Sport has been more than capable, but I wasn’t sure what the differences were between the part time 4WD, and the 4WD full time limited which has a dial for H4F, H4L, and L4L. I like the limited options better as the TRD has stuff I would never use.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Sounds like tire selection is going to be more important than anything else for you.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
On our 2nd 4Runner, there will be a 3rd.

Remember....AWD means you have to change one tire...you have to change ALL the tires.

$$$

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^^The discussion is about full-time 4WD vs. part-time 4WD. AWD is a different animal, is it not? My limited understanding of AWD, as I've never had a vehicle with it, is that it uses computers and wheel speed sensors to apply power to the wheels with the most traction. Having tires of different sizes throws the calculations off causing undue wear on the drive train.

Full-time 4WD is mechanical; relying on differentials in both axles and the transfer case which allow the individual wheels to turn at different speeds.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My beater 4x4 is a 2000 4runner Limited. It does 2WD, AWD, 4High and 4Low, and has a push-button E-Locker inside. It has nearly 300k miles as of now (almost entirely original parts throughout) and all is well. It's driven in AWD most of the time, which costs me about 1mpg more than 2WD. It's used throughout Colorado and the Rocky Mountains, all seasons.

I won't be replacing it until I find a bigger (like crew cab F150 bigger) truck that's just as good in every way, and my primary desire for bigger is driven by a want for a large center console - like big enough for a laptop to sit / big enough to hold an AR Pistol sort of thing. To me, 3rd Gen 4runners in particular are the Gold Standard of mid size 4x4 SUVs.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
On our 2nd 4Runner, there will be a 3rd.

Remember....AWD means you have to change one tire...you have to change ALL the tires.

$$$

Not exactly the case.
The new tire can be shaved to match the other tires.
Sure it costs more as you will replace that tire prematurely when it is time for the others but nowhere near the extent of replacing 4 just because one went bad.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Just get some tires and a rack and MPG will no longer matter.

NRA Life Member

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Little bit different animal, but I have a 4th Gen 4Runner that is a Limited, V8, Full time 4WD. Given the option on a new one, I’d get one of the Trail / TRD Pro versions. I’d rather have a part time setup.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post