SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Travel to France & Italy - shots needed?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel to France & Italy - shots needed? Login/Join 
easy money
posted
Hello!

Wife & I are celebrating 30 years together. Trip will happen in October. Already called our local public health nurse. They recommended Hep A, Hep B, and tetanus. Writing to ask those who may have traveled to France or Northern Italy - are the shots necessary?

Thank you,

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Probably not. I’ve travelled in France, Switzerland, Northern Italy repeatedly without any shots. Good thing..... I’m allergic to tetanus shots.

The nurse’s recommendation may be like asking the barber if you need a haircut.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It's best to check CDC's travel website instead of strangers with unknown credentials. In your case, your public health nurse recommended two optional vaccinations and a routine vaccination.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
No

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both country's are 1st world destinations, not to mention both are very western. You have nothing to worry about, your nurse is being ...ridiculous.

Been to Italy 3x the last 5-years, let me know if you need any pointers.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Hello!

We did check the CDC. I then consulted locally with the public health nurse in my community.

Thank you everyone for the input thus far!

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Unnecessary, imho. These aren’t third world places.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Nope- none needed.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
That is like asking if you need shots to go to Texas.

Those are very modern and western destinations and no shots are required.

Have fun.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
That is like asking if you need shots to go to Texas.

Those are very modern and western destinations and no shots are required.

Have fun.

Yup, in some of these places you'll even find cold AND hot water coming out of the same faucet, and most everywhere you'll see buildings of all kinds with real GLASS in the windows. Heck, you might even see one of those new-fangled AUTOMOBILES, although I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

Sheeeesh.

tac

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim1970:
Hello!

Wife & I are celebrating 30 years together. Trip will happen in October. Already called our local public health nurse. They recommended Hep A, Hep B, and tetanus. Writing to ask those who may have traveled to France or Northern Italy - are the shots necessary?

Thank you,

Jim

I'm in France at the moment. Legally to travel, no. You don't require them.

Should you get them? In my opinion, yes. You should.

I travel globally. A LOT. I maintain all vaccinations, all the time. It's very little effort, and for the few shots your nurse has recommended, little expense. Definitely Tetanus, no matter where you go.

Europe is generally safe. Any time you travel outside your normal circles, however, you should be prepared for dietary issues; take over the counter medications such as immodium, and it's a good idea to carry some antibiotics. Many carry a z-pack. I do, too.

I move around with a lot of people who don't have all their vaccinations, and in my opinion, that's a mistake. I've been with others who did catch various things around the globe; sometimes it happens in locations which are not convenient and in which you do not want to need to seek medical attention.

Check before you go regarding your insurance and use abroad; many places won't accept it abroad and you may need to pay out of pocket and seek reimbursement. Make sure your policy covers that.

It's not just "third world" locations where you can get sick. You can pick up Hep at home just as easily as abroad. Plan accordingly, and the notion that places are "modern" will not prevent you from getting sick. Simply drinking water with unfamiliar bacteria can get you sick. Very sick, and while locals may have resistance to certain things, you may not.

Most parts of the world, the only vaccine that's required is yellow fever; some it's a 10 year limit, others a lifetime. That's not so say you shouldn't get other protection too. I absolutely would.

As for that hot and cold water coming out of the faucet while you're abroad...don't drink it.

There's nothing wrong with consulting medical personnel about shots, and the public health nurse isn't a conflict of interest. For travel, contact a travel vaccine location. They do have a mission to sell you a shot, but will generally be a lot more up to date on what's needed, to be recommended, and what people are getting, as well as particulars regarding outbreaks or other issues that you should be aware of.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
They recommended Hep A, Hep B, and tetanus.

I know I'm another "stranger with unknown credentials." Big Grin But I can't see how you'd be any more at risk for them, or any other diseases, over there than here.

Posts: 27960 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Everyone should always keep tetanus shots up to date. Always. As for the others mentioned, it can’t hurt, but I would think no more than you would worry about it at home.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Everyone should always keep tetanus shots up to date.

Yes. If it's been over ten years since your last one, might as well get it now before your trip.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got them and keep them current. But then, I have traveled to San Francisco.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
take over the counter medications such as immodium,

Strange as it seems, we have places over here, called pharmacies, where you can buy stuff like immodium, and believe it or not, just about any other kind of medications you can think of.

What's with you guys? Europe is NOT a bunch of third world nations full of mud roads and goatherds. You sure do make I laff.

tac

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

Strange as it seems, we have places over here, called pharmacies, where you can buy stuff like immodium, and believe it or not, just about any other kind of medications you can think of.

What's with you guys? Europe is NOT a bunch of third world nations full of mud roads and goatherds. You sure do make I laff.

tac

I'm sitting in France as I write this, being one that comes over here a LOT. You're probably patting yourself on the back for your your humor, and that's fine. You're not stuck on the toilet shitting yourself senseless at 0300, which is also fine...but if you were, trying to find a pharmacy open at that hour, with an attendant that speaks English, and products that you'd know and understand and trust, might not be nearly as funny. Not nearly.

Carry the damn stuff with you, and for those who don't travel, carry it in the original packaging, not in cute little pill carriers, so you don't have to prove what it is.

If you've never been away and you're used to 24 hour wallgreens and walmart, you may be surprised at what's not found in many places. If you've never seen paracetamol instead of tylenol, or can't read the labeling in French or Chinese or Russian, you might be surprised when you try to get it and don't know what it is.

France isn't third world, but it is another world and if you've never been outside the US, it's not your world. This is why you take things that you need with you, rather than advising people traveling for the first time to not worry about it because France is a modern country. If they need it, they may not be able to find it. Take the pepto, immodium (probably the most important to carry), and other products that you'll need, instead of guessing, if you can find them (and good chance at a late hour, you can't). In some parts of Paris, you have 24 hour availability...in many other locations, you do not, as much of Europe is not the round-the-clock culture that the US tends to be.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

tac

I'm sitting in France as I write this, being one that comes over here a LOT. You're probably patting yourself on the back for your your humor, and that's fine. You're not stuck on the toilet shitting yourself senseless at 0300, which is also fine...but if you were, trying to find a pharmacy open at that hour, with an attendant that speaks English, and products that you'd know and understand and trust, might not be nearly as funny. Not nearly.

Carry the damn stuff with you, and for those who don't travel, carry it in the original packaging, not in cute little pill carriers, so you don't have to prove what it is.

If you've never been away and you're used to 24 hour wallgreens and walmart, you may be surprised at what's not found in many places. If you've never seen paracetamol instead of tylenol, or can't read the labeling in French or Chinese or Russian, you might be surprised when you try to get it and don't know what it is.

France isn't third world, but it is another world and if you've never been outside the US, it's not your world. This is why you take things that you need with you, rather than advising people traveling for the first time to not worry about it because France is a modern country. If they need it, they may not be able to find it. Take the pepto, immodium (probably the most important to carry), and other products that you'll need, instead of guessing, if you can find them (and good chance at a late hour, you can't). In some parts of Paris, you have 24 hour availability...in many other locations, you do not, as much of Europe is not the round-the-clock culture that the US tends to be.

Ok, I take your points to some extent, but the general impression is that many in the USA view going over to Europe is akin to going to Ethiopia, but without the level of sophistication or general facilties found there.

I've yet to find ANY 24-hour pharmacy in the PNW, outside of maybe Portland or Washington.

Going to France or Germany bothers me not a jot, since I'm an interpreter in both languages, among others. Living less than 22 miles away from the rest of Europe engenders a real need to communicate directly that is completely absent in the USA, for obvious geographical reasons. All that is needed in the USA is an ever-increasing need to speak some Spanish, and that's easy enough to learn. I've picked up enough to get by over the years just by going market shopping in PDX and Eugene and keeping my ears open.

tac

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
No.

If your tetanus isn't up to date, though, it is always a good idea to get it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post