SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which brand of SSD do you prefer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which brand of SSD do you prefer? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Go to newegg & pick whatever is on sale from the names you listed in the 1st post.
Seriously, you won't notice a difference in speed & with N=1 you're just as (un)likely to get a lemon from any of the major players.
SSDs are commodity components anymore. If you were buying 100s or building the absolute fastest system you could, engineer the shit out of it. But for general use, life is too short to waste brain on minutia of SSDs/RAM/PSUs/etc.
Just make sure you get the color you want, cuz that IS important.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Newegg Samsung 1TB SSD $162

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16820147673

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
https://www.newegg.com/Product...7673-S0A&ignorebbr=1

This is a good deal for 162

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent results with Crucial SSDs. I have put approximately 8 into service here and for family members without a single issue.

Firmware updates easily can be done on a Mac or a PC, as a bonus.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I just dropped a Samsung into my MacBook. I love it so far.

God bless America.

Posts: 13502 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple Sandisk on and I have been very happy with them.. They are fast and easy to install.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I use Crucial and Samsung. Crucial for my business for value and reliability. For personal use I like the Samsung EVO line for my kids stuff and Samsung Pro for my stuff. Having said that, I have never had an SSD failure in 30+ units of various brands. If you write tons to the drive, you can wear our an SSD as there are only so many ready/write cycles. I have worn out a few over a long period of time that way but never on a normal use computer.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Samsung and Crucial SSDs as well. I've used Crucial products for decades.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Samsung. Due to reliability.

We use them on the production line and they have never given an ounce of trouble.

If a OEM supplied drive dies in an office PC, it gets replaced with a samsung. The resulting performance increase doesn't hurt either.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
As an FYI to anyone who likes Intel and needs an SSD, Newegg has a 512GB on sale for $55 shipped.

It isn't their best model, but it's a decent deal if you do not need 1 or 2 TB.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12438...lgo1&checkoutModal=1

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Samsung 860 EVO after doing my due diligence research. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I've used Samsung, Corsair, and Crucial. Zero failures.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I just put a 500 GB version of the 860 in my desktop. Killer change! Don't use Samsungs Cloning Software as it fails near the end.

I ended up using Macrium free cloning program. While it took nearly 7 hours vs. 2 with the Samsung program, it worked perfectly.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not quite apples-apples, but we order all of our field computers with the base platter drives.
The OE SSD upgrade is a lot more $$ than buying SSDs via Amazon/other vendors.

We swap in the SSDs when the machines come in & pop on a base image we have stored.

Looking in my hardware drawer, I've got a stack of Kingston 240GB 2.5SSDs & they've been working well so far. We've also used Samsung & WD when the prices are better.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15323 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack the thread, but once you get this SSD, what (free) cloning software do you use with Win10 to move everything including the OS to this new SSD???

Macrium Reflect was mentioned. I assume this moves the OS?? Is there anything better??

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Not to hijack the thread, but once you get this SSD, what (free) cloning software do you use with Win10 to move everything including the OS to this new SSD???

Macrium Reflect was mentioned. I assume this moves the OS?? Is there anything better??

I've only used Acronis, which we have at work. Not sure the cost on that one.

Co-worker said Clonezilla isn't bad, but that you need to "know what you're doing" (his words), that it's not as user friendly as Acronis (which is super easy).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15323 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

I used Macrium Reflect and it did exactly what I wanted it to do.
I cloned a drive and that was it. Nothing fancy just an exact duplicate to a SSD. Tossed the old drive in the safe as a backup.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
++Macrium Reflect, I liked it so much I bought several copies.

I used to use Acronis exclusively but ran into issues with it and stumbled upon Macrium and haven't ran into any issues with it over the 4 yrs I've been using it.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post