SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which brand of SSD do you prefer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which brand of SSD do you prefer? Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
I bought a new Lenovo M900 SFF and I would like to replace the installed WD Blue 3.5" 1 TB hard drive with an SSD. Because of the motherboard configuration, it is complicated to install an M2 SSD.

If I were to use a 2.5" SSD drive, it is true the NAND drives are the best way to go? The options appear to be WD Blue, Samsung, Sandisk, Intel, Crucial, Adata, and HP.

In the past I've used Samsung. Which brand of SSD drive do you prefer? I think I will use something 1 TB or 512 GB.

Thank you for your help.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I've always used Samsung and never had any issues.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Samsung primarily but I've also had good experiences with Crucial.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Samsung or Adata (i.e. Toshiba), usually based on price. But if at all possible, I'd stick a M.2 drive in it and save that HD bay for a 2.5" SSD upgrade later.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I would buy the cheapest name brand one I could find from Amazon or Newegg, preferably when it's on sale. No matter what, it will be faster then the regular hard drive.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I'm going to buck the trend here and recommend Samsung EVO. Never failed me yet.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Samsung or Adata (i.e. Toshiba), usually based on price. But if at all possible, I'd stick a M.2 drive in it and save that HD bay for a 2.5" SSD upgrade later.

I wanted to do that, but it requires an adapter card. That in and of itself is not a big deal, but most people experienced issues getting the system to boot. I'm busy with more projects than I have time for at the moment, so I am looking for the simplest (albeit slower) solution.

I think most types of SSD will be an improvement over the WD Blue drive that came with it.

In theory, the system will support a second HD using an OEM drive 2.5" assembly I purchased from Lenovo.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sandisk or Samsung for me. A possible consideration is the new WD ones, but they are still developing. I would not use theirs for anything I could not afford to lose.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Samsung - especially since the prices have really dropped as of late - was using the 850 series now 860's - I have replaced all our laptops and desktops with SSD's at all our offices now

We have some higher end workstations that I upgraded as soon as we bought - one of them I put in a Pro series and honestly a year in I have seen no issues nor difference in everyday performance in any of the workstations - running benchmarks would say otherwise but to those using it here - we haven't been able to see a marked difference

I also have some loaner systems in our spare pool and those I upgraded with cheaper at the time crucial and kingston and they are okay as well - but samsung is what i think of as my bread and butter drives for day in and day out systems

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

I wanted to do that, but it requires an adapter card. That in and of itself is not a big deal, but most people experienced issues getting the system to boot. I'm busy with more projects than I have time for at the moment, so I am looking for the simplest (albeit slower) solution.

I think most types of SSD will be an improvement over the WD Blue drive that came with it.

In theory, the system will support a second HD using an OEM drive adapter I purchased from Lenovo.
Absolutely. Any SSD is going to be a huge improvement to a spinning HDD.

I have a couple year old Lenovo ThinkPad T450 that I put a M.2 drive in for my operating system and application software to run on, with all of my storage going to a 480GB (I think) Adata 2.5" SSD. Performance on that laptop is ridiculously fast even compared to more current systems.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I finally figured out why my 2017 Company iMac suck balls vs my 2014 MBP with SSD.

The company iMac has a SATA drive. I could have sworn it was a SSD but it isn't and had been driving me crazy.

It doesn't seem like much but man sitting them side by side, the difference is night and day between the two.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Members: don't forget to backup your computer(s) on a regular basis and also make sure your backup is in working order.

One is None, Two is One, Three is Two.

With the current affordable prices on hard drives, there is no excuse to just having one backup.

/end of PSA

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Samsung PRO models. 10 year warranties and amazing performance: hard to beat. For my next PC I'll probably switch up to the M.2 variety and will either stick with Samsung Pro or possibly try out an Intel or WD stick.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
My number one preference is the samsung evo line only get the evo pro if your doing a serious amount of video uploading and be sure to get the generation you can afford. If I'm looking for performance and stability for a custom or gaming pc I shell out the extra coin for them. I also use Intel enterprise for business systems. They have some of the highest reliability ratings of all SSD so they are a worry free solution.

I have used kingston, toshiba, OCZ and sandisk. They aren't spectacular with performance, but they are much cheaper and haven't died on me.

Obviously, every brand has different models, so just buying by brand isn't recommended. Research the speeds you want and pick a brand/model.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
1. Intel
2. Intel
3. Intel
4. Intel
5. Samsung

You can always get different 'grades' of SSD's and all are not make alike.
Intel is by far the industry leader.
Just get the proper one for your purpose.
YMMV

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I use Crucial.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Early on I used intel, but have had good luck with Sandisk, Samsung, and a couple others.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
All SSD's use NAND of one type or another.

Edit: Never mind. I saw Lenovo and assumed laptop. Went back and saw SFF, so ignore the laptop SSD advice! :-)

Since you specified it's going into a laptop, buying the fastest is not necessary. The tiny performance differences are wasted in laptops that throttle the hell out of the system to conserve battery. What us more important is power usage of the SSD during idle and normal operations. For example, Samsungs do tend to be faster than other equivilent SSD's (and more expensive). That slight bit of extra speed also comes at a power efficiency cost. Samsungs are NOT the most power efficient. This makes a big difference in the life of your laptop battery, which tends to be more important that utmost speed (for LAPTOPS).

I'm not going to make a recommendation because I work for Micron SSD R&D and I would appear biased.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I sell more intel ssd’s, and crucial ssd’s, Than any other brand.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:

I'm not going to make a recommendation because I work for Micron SSD R&D and I would appear biased.

Tell me what you think. I'm ok if it is biased. I've used Micron memory for my computers and printers for more than 20 years.

I spent a few hours today going back and forth with Lenovo about what I can and cannot do to get a second drive in my system. The drive enclosure Lenovo recommended, and which I bought from them, might work if I can find a way to power it, but it seems both SATA power sockets are already being used.

Long story short, after getting things apart and seeing the way things are in reality inside the case, I have to use a PCIe to M.2 adapter card to have a second storage drive. It seems if I upgrade the system board bios and disconnect the 3.5" drive when installing Windows, I should be able to get it to book correctly.

I'm going with an M.2 SSD drive, (1 TB or 512GB) for system files, and an upgraded 3.5" mechanical drive for storage (2-4 TB).

The low profile Lenovo adapter card is ordered. I'll select the two storage drives when I see what goes on special in the next three weeks.