SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need recommendations for a good sized, air travel friendly backpack
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need recommendations for a good sized, air travel friendly backpack Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have several 'tactical' bags that may fit your needs. If you want I'll take some pictures tonight.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
That would be very helpful, thanks.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
"Under $100" isn't going to get you a high quality, laptop-protective backpack.

That said, take a look at Mountainsmith. The Grand Tour lists at $99.95

https://mountainsmith.com/grand-tour-backpack.html

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Osprey

Camelback

We have one each and both are very comfortable and Practical.

Whichever one fits you the best is best.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The two bags I have that work with a laptop are a bag from Yukon and one from 511. The 511 is a messenger style bag and may not suit your needs.

Yukon bug out bag.

511 Rush Lima.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
After much trial and error I discovered the North Face Surge about 5 years ago and it has been, by far, my go to bag every since.

It is airline friendly, has a ton of room, lots of pockets and compression straps

I need something with a good bit more laptop space- this Dell is gigantic compared to slim machines.

Look at the TNF Router It's their largest laptop pack, at 40L, it's a LOT of backpack. Just make sure if you do purchase its from their Fall'18 assortment as the padding/straps in prior styles are mushy and crap.

A well made, solid backpack with laptop sleeve and multiple pockets under $100 is virtually impossible. That's like looking for a well made pair of shoes under $85 or, a quality 2-man tent under $200, you go below those price thresholds and compromises are made in material, construction and design. Zippers are expensive, good zippers cost even more. Zippers mean pockets, pockets mean more stitching time and extra material, what kind of material do you want: acceptable, good or, excellent.

There's a few others out there to consider:
Marmot Monarch 34

Timbuk2 Jet 30

Thule Crossover 32

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Whatever you decide to buy, I'd recommend you test the zippers thoroughly to make sure it doesn't catch easily on the fabric. I have a North Face that is built with light weight rip stop nylon and it's very difficult to zip open without snagging the fabric. You have to be slow and deliberate manipulating the fabric away from the small zipper teeth. Mine also has several small pockets, but I'd say too small to really be useful.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
For years I was a weekly flier carrying a monster laptop bigger than yours. I used a Slappa Koa. Very large and roomy.

Great for air travel as it zips open and lies flat on the xray belt so you don't have to get the laptop out.

Very dependable it took about 3 years of almost weekly travel for one of the zippers to start coming loose from the moorings.

Amazon has them for $130 so just a bit outside your price range but worth the extra dough.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post