SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So...Jamaica it will be...and over already!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So...Jamaica it will be...and over already! Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Honeymoon booked. Flights booked. Insurance paid (thank you to the forum for several threads about travel insurance).

We went with Sandals Ocho Rios. Got what seems like a good price, direct flights. I plan to eat, drink, and do fun stuff for the 5 days we will be there. In stupid excess.

Any recommendations from those who have been? I know the obvious "don't get robbed or macheted".

Any items beyond the obvious (or including the obvious to you...because it may not be obvious to me) I would want to make sure not to forget, that would either be unobtainable or stupid expensive at the gift shop?

And will my arm get chopped off if my watch is shiny? I'm not talking super fancy watch...but my Marathon GSAR on its stainless steel bracelet would be my first choice. I want something that won't mind being wet, as I plan on being in the water, and that I can depend on, but won't be likely to get me robbed if I get 'adventurous'. I have other choices that are just as water resistant but not as noticeable (Seiko 007 & Citizen Diver would probably be my 2 other 'least likely to get my arm chopped off' best water resistance choices, though both are still kinda shiny but on ZULU bands). But that Marathon is the one I want to wear.

First world problems...

And can a tourist have a small pocket knife in Jamaica? Internet searches bring mixed responses. Something as simple as a small Swiss Army Knife? Or maybe even a Gerber tool? I remember being lost after midnight, beyond the tin shack shantys, in Cancun in 2005 or so on my only other out of country trip...alone...with nothing but my stupidity protecting me from the world.

I'm looking forward to some good times! If my fiancee doesn't stab me from the stress before Sunday! lol

And a special Thank You to Dave for an absolutely gorgeous engagement ring and perfect wedding band. People say words aren't enough all the time, but that's the truth when it comes to Dave. People just don't get any better!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chongosuerte,

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I got married in Jamaica.

I just pray to God that my wife doesn't find out.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I believe IslandBoy (?) is Jamaican. Based on what I know from folks who have been (and also live there), you'll be fine as long as you don't leave your resort. That's pretty much it.

My parents honeymooned there and even then it was getting a little "interesting" outside of the hotel property.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Chongo. Well deserved. Best wishes to you and the new bride.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
We did Ocho Rios for honeymoon too.

Only thing that startled us was dudes grabbing our bags when we left the airport. They run up and basically steal your shit and then "carry it to the car" for you and ask for a tip to get your stuff back...

Hang on to all your stuff until you're inside the resort.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
My sister got married in Jamaica, they had a great time.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I got married at the Sans Souci, great place great time. Stay away from Ocho Rios, typical duty free place, my Bnlaw got pick pocketed one night going to a mini concert outside of the resort. Go see the falls,it was ok, tourist destination. If Sandals is as good as Sans Souci you don't have to leave the resort. As soon as you hit the airport they will try to sell you grass, even had a row boat come out to us when we were snorkeling and treading water offering to sell the crap, was a little worrisome but they left us alone. Otherwise enjoy,Blue Mountain coffee is great. BE very careful that you use sun protection, I got toasted in one day and it almost ruined it for me.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
It's been over 20 years ago, but the Sandals we went to was pretty good. Good food, free drinks... Some of the restaurants on the resort required a reservation.

I learned that drinking a pina colada for breakfast made me want to take a nap Razz .

They have lots of activities scheduled throughout the day if you're into that kind of thing. We mostly kept to ourselves, enjoyed the beach. Snorkeling was fun, and a couple of off resort tours (Dunns River Falls was a backdrop to a TV series that was on at that time).

The resort area is very safe - they run off any locals who stray onto the resort right quick.

I recall the tourist areas were pretty heavily patrolled as well - stay with a group. Watch for pick pockets. The normal stuff.

I had asked the bus driver what the random poles were on the side of the road we were on - he replied "Dose are wing breakers mon" apparently to discourage small drug running planes from landing on the roads.

Oh - and they drive like crazy over there...

ETA: I forgot about this: "Only thing that startled us was dudes grabbing our bags when we left the airport. They run up and basically steal your shit and then "carry it to the car" for you and ask for a tip to get your stuff back..."

I'd go back again - have fun!

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding what watch to wear ...

It's your honeymoon / vacation. Don't wear a watch and don't worry about the time. When you are hungry, eat. When it gets dark, sleep. When you feel frisky, ... well, you get the idea.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'd go buy a cheap digital watch to wear. That's just me, though. At the end of your visit you can give it to a deserving Jamaican.

Have fun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I'd go buy a cheap digital watch to wear. That's just me, though.

Have fun.

THIS, buy something under $20 that's waterproof that you don't mind unstrapping and handing to someone if they have a knife pointed at you.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Congrats! just remember Jamaica me crazy

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I had a great time- the parts I remember, anyway. The Jamaican police were able to fill in the rest.

I ask you- is being naked on the roof of a hotel so bad? Just once? In your entire life? I don't think so.

The police disagreed.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
We stayed at the Sandals in Montego Bay last January. We had a really good time. Once we went to Sandals, we didn't leave the resort except to go between the two other ones near by, and for our excursion we did to Dunns River Falls. That was a lot of fun and I recommend it even though it is a tourist trap. it was a little annoying trying to leave to go back to the van because you have to run the gauntlet of all these people trying to sell you the same "Jamaican" souvenirs. Just don't make eye contact.

Definitely wear sunscreen.

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We stayed at Couples in Ocho.

They got a really nice roof.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I had a great time- the parts I remember, anyway. The Jamaican police were able to fill in the rest.

I ask you- is being naked on the roof of a hotel so bad? Just once? In your entire life? I don't think so.

The police disagreed.

You truly are an adventurous sort, are you not. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I'd go buy a cheap digital watch to wear. That's just me, though.

Have fun.

+1 on this.

If you have to wear a watch, go Casio/Timex. I have a Casio MRW-200H just for this purpose.

I wouldn't wear a watch, take a phone or a laptop; no distractions, just you and your girl. Time has no meaning.

An inexpensive digital camera with a few extra memory cards.

Chongo, enjoy the more than well deserved R&R with the love of your life. Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
By the way, chongo- don't take it personally if the hotel staff keeps asking you if you're in law enforcement in the United States. They ask everyone this question. Razz

Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
We enjoyed Blue Mountain coffee, Red Stripe beer, rum punch and jerk chicken.
I'd purchase a cheap, waterproof watch at the duty free shop.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Ocho Rios: There is a great waterfall tour we took a couple of years ago. They also have an aviary on the tour, you get to feed exotic birds. Very Cool. Is wasn't the Dunn's Falls trip though.

Have fun,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post