SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Volkswagen guys step inside
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Volkswagen guys step inside Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted
I'm car shopping for my wife. She just lost her Subaru Impreza it was a reliable safe car that always got her through snow storms and never let her down and it saved us when it was totaled. I'd like to get another but the used market is tough for them, lots of high mileage cars and/or rust issues with them and they book high still.

I've been seeing some used VWs for reasonable money and they seem like a lot of bang for the buck. I'm talking 2002-2005 era AWD Passats in excellent condition and around 100k on the odometer and they are like $4-$6k. I know very little about them but that's right in our price range and on paper they offer a lot. Any glaring issues that would be a deal breaker either with long term reliability or safety issues with them?

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
I'm car shopping for my wife. She just lost her Subaru Impreza it was a reliable safe car that always got her through snow storms and never let her down and it saved us when it was totaled. I'd like to get another but the used market is tough for them, lots of high mileage cars and/or rust issues with them and they book high still.

I've been seeing some used VWs for reasonable money and they seem like a lot of bang for the buck. I'm talking 2002-2005 era AWD Passats in excellent condition and around 100k on the odometer and they are like $4-$6k. I know very little about them but that's right in our price range and on paper they offer a lot. Any glaring issues that would be a deal breaker either with long term reliability or safety issues with them?

If you can find a diesel, I'd jump on it. Expensive to maintain though, at that amount of years. I had a 2003 VW diesel for 312,000 miles and 13 years, until I finally lost confidence in it for daily driving.

As far as a gas car, it wouldn't be my first choice. If AWD/4WD at a low price was the point, I'd look for something else like a Honda CRV before I went with a VW.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Only suv-ish vehicles we're interested in are the Subaru Forester but again they are either just run ragged and worn out or very expensive...

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are quirky. Either get to know a mechanic or buy a Bentley manual and do the work yourself. Parts can be expensive, but VW also has clearance parts and accessories on their webpage. You can also find parts cheaper at some other spots like germanautoparts.com

Make sure the timing belt has been done or get it done. I can't stress that enough. Otherwise you will have major engine damage.

Dubs are great cars but need maintenance on a routine basis.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always had luck with a '67 and the souped up 1500 cc. With sunroof of course! Drives through anything forever. Floats too.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I owned a 2001.5 Passat with the 1.8T engine. The AWD models are all V6's IIRC. Passatworld.com was a great forum for these vehicles, though I haven't been over there in years. As I recall, some of the V6s had oil leaks from valve cover gaskets, but seemed pretty reliable overall. The passats of that era shared the platform with the Audi A4, and their AWD was the same as Audi's Quattro. Check to see if it needs a timing belt (the 1.8T's have a required change at 105k, not sure about the v6).

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
My 2012 Passat, 5 cylinder 2.5ltr, has been wonderful.

Steel timing chain on this year/model puts my mind at ease.

I like the way VW's handle and it was made in the USA, Tennessee plant.

A pleasure to drive, tight turning radius, sport mode gives a great passing boost... however, I'd love it in manual.

Cost me 12k with 24k miles on it a couple of years back.

And it is incredibly roomy! The back seating area is like a lounge.

It would be nice in AWD too!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BillyBonesNY,

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Jus228 I'd be a bit leary of buying a Passat from that time frame. I'm not well versed in the 1.8T but certain versions are prone to having issues. I probably would only want a TDI engine from those years.

The 2.5 inline 5 gas engine is nearly bulletproof 2008 and above. There are a lot of low priced Jetta's and Rabbit/Golf's with that 2.5 engine. No timing belt to change, very few known problems if maintained and not abused. The newer Passat mentioned above would be really nice, especially if you need a big roomy sedan. I'd look for a MK6 Jetta/Golf 2.5 or a newer Passat 2.5. Just might be harder to find one in your price range.

***(current EA88 Gen 3 1.8T's are fantastic though)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DonDraper,

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
Floats too.

Yeah, yeah. And if Teddy Kennedy had been driving one, he'd have been president.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Only suv-ish vehicles we're interested in are the Subaru Forester

Well that and everyone thinks you're a lesbian if seen in one.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
I replaced my 4-runner with a 2005 1.8t 5sp 4motion passat. It's been well maintained but there are some known issues. First time I went to check the oil the dipstick fell apart in my hand. Gets hot in there, requires synthetic oil and high octane gas. Specialty fluids and servicing are the norm it seems, have to take the bumper off to do a lot of things. That said it's real smooth, handles awesome and is pretty comfy. The back seat is a torture rack though.

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Well we found a real gem today, not a Passat though. A 2005 Forester with 138k on it and the body is in amazing shape for its age and being in this part of the country. We jumped on it. I'm a Subaru guy so it was a no brainer. I was a Subaru tech back around that time so I'm familiar with that year. Super happy for my wife to continue to be in that platform.