SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with hardware identification
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with hardware identification Login/Join 
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted
A friend had the window portion of her door fall out. She is in Asheville and I'm not. Her landlord is out of the country and is no help. There are slits in the window and the door. There is a metal tab that sits in slits in both the door and window. The tabs are held in place by a screw that runs perpendicular to the tabs. She probably needs to replace the hardware but I dont know what they are called to locate replacements. She sent me a picture but I dont know how to post it.

I hope my description is detailed enough to be able to figure out what it's called if she needs replacements. If not i can email the picture

Thanks

Posts: 914 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Something like these?

https://www.menards.com/main/d...432012948-c-7567.htm

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
Very close but the concept seems similar

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Well there's some keywords in there to start searching. Try the other big boxes, ebay, amazon or just google. Maybe you have a proprietary brand you're dealing with. Good luck.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Is there a nomenclature label on the door you could source parts with?

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Email the pic to the address in my profile and I’ll post it for you. Put “sigforum pic” in the subject line so I won’t mistake it for another nigerian scam email.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
Email in bound

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Here’s the pic apphunter was provided, FWIW

I’d bet that hardware is obsolete/no longer available.

I think I would turn the screws to retract the tabs and clean any dirt, old paint, and crud out of the mounting area to make a smooth clean surface, then “glue” the window in place with a small bead of siliconized acrylic (not straight silicone) caulk. She’ll need to support the window (tape it in place) so it doesn't move while the caulk sets up. Siliconized acrylic dries pretty quickly (24 hours would do it) if it is above 65 degrees, doesn’t stink, and should last 25 years pretty easily.

I’ve used Red Devil brand and have been happy with the results. Get the clear-it will be white when applied but will dry clear and might look nicer.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
The whole assembly is called a 'door lite kit'

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Depending on the relationship with the landlord she may have to wait it out because it looks like to me there's going to have to be a mod like arfmel said. If the landlord is cool with her making the decision then go ahead. If not the landlord needs to get his trusty handyman on the job.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd get one side operational and use coins jammed in the window portion to act as "biscuits" on the other side.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
We’ve always called them glazier clips.
They’re pushed into the wood and half the pane of glass in place.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post