SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for anyone who has built a deck...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for anyone who has built a deck... Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I'm replacing a deck that the previous home owner had built improperly. So here are my questions:

Unlike fence posts, where I just dig a hole and pour in some quickcrete, what should I do different for posts that will support a load bearing outdoor deck ? If it makes a difference, my deck will be close to the ground, not second story, etc.

1. How deep for the post holes ? Climate is southeastern Virginia, not too cold in the winter regarding frost line to prevent heaving. But I don't know how deep that actually is for my climate.

2. How wide a hole for 4x4 pressure treated posts that will be filled with concrete ?

3. What material goes in the bottom of the hole below the cut end of the post ? Just dirt, some concrete, or something else ? I will be treating the tops and bottoms of the post cuts with copper preservative, which according to the salesmen will keep out termites under the ground and fungus/rot from the top.

4. Whatever else I forgot to ask because I don't know any better to ask.

Thanks guys.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You can use 6" diameter builders tubes in the ground, below frost line. Fill with quick creat and there are galvanised plates and brackets which anchor your posts atop, not down in the concrete. In will rot the poles away. A larger diameter builders tube would be more stable. Perhaps 12".

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I've built a deck or two.

Your local code will have requirements for how deep to go, but typically a 4' 10" sonotube will do the job, with the tube about 6" above grade, with the post attached by a galvy shoe, itself attached via J bolt or other anchor to the concrete.

Code in most places is going to IRC, and at least here, 4x6 is the minimum.

How big is the deck, how high? What type of attachment to home?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd make the holes as narrow as possible. A post hole digger will give you 6x6?

We used to put flat rocks at the bottom, and never seemed to get to footer depth because of shale. The deck is still flat and level, decades later.

The other way is to dig, insert a tube, fill with concrete, and set a lag in the top of it for a receiving plate.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Pour footings and set the post on top. Or pour concrete pillars and lay your cross beams directly on the concrete.

Eta....

https://www.familyhandyman.com...eck-footing/view-all

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here we need to pull a permit to build a deck. They tell you how deep to dig the holes and what size they need to be.

Do not put the posts in the concrete. Use a stancion to put the post on top of the concrete. They are anchored in the concrete and the post is then anchored to it.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Lay your decking boards correct side up. Many people don't think about the difference, but there is a right and wrong way to lay them. Lay them so that the "outside" of the tree is up. As in the cupping is facing down. Some boards are cut from heartwood, but you should avoid those if you can. Other boards will have distinct sides, and should be placed as I said. They will look more uniform and will last better if done that way.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Your local code will have requirements for how deep to go, but typically a 4' 10" sonotube will do the job, with the tube about 6" above grade, with the post attached by a galvy shoe, itself attached via J bolt or other anchor to the concrete.

This sounds like what I have always seen, not a carpenter, but I have witnessed plenty of decks being built.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I didn't see a requirement for concrete piles/footers in the OP, so I'll offer this alternative. My apologies if it constitutes thread drift.

I just build a deck for my daughter's new house and we chose to use helical screw in piles. The local franchise is Goliath Tech..

In, piles located, installed and out in about an hour. Cost comparable with concrete, especially considering you can go from bare dirt to buildable piles in an hour or two.

I'd use them again.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I didn't see a requirement for concrete piles/footers in the OP, so I'll offer this alternative. My apologies if it constitutes thread drift.

I just build a deck for my daughter's new house and we chose to use helical screw in piles. The local franchise is Goliath Tech..

In, piles located, installed and out in about an hour. Cost comparable with concrete, especially considering you can go from bare dirt to buildable piles in an hour or two.

I'd use them again.
Wouldn't the OP need to get a large block of earth to use these PHPaul ? Big Grin

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I just build a deck for my daughter's new house and we chose to use helical screw in piles.

15 years ago I was on construction of a movie set, one of the M Knight S. movies. We build a 4-story "hotel" over a few months complete with steel frame, concrete floors, etc. The whole thing was built on 2" piles driven into the ground. Amazing project.

As far as building techniques go, screw-in piles sound great.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Consult your local building code, but....

You don't need sono tubes for a close to ground deck, imo. The concrete around a post is for shear lateral capacity and you will have basically no lateral forces in play if you're building within a foot or two of the ground. So quikcrete directly in the hole is what I would do. Frost depth in S. Virginia is 18-24" so I'd go the lesser of those two if it's very close to ground, higher if you're up 4 or 5 feet. I would dig my hole no more than a foot in diameter. Depending on your soil type... we have hard red clay here and I don't put anything in the hole when I build. (Just built a playground for my kids with 4x4 posts.) If the soils are richer and looser, then tamp as much as you can and maybe put 2" of pea gravel down.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Are you in hurricane country?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Wouldn't the OP need to get a large block of earth to use these PHPaul ? Big Grin

??? I'm missing something here, not that that is particularly unusual.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Go to Golieth, click the menu, scroll down, click Our piles, scroll down through the pics, most have a rectangle block of earth beneath them.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Go to Golieth, click the menu, scroll down, click Our piles, scroll down through the pics, most have a rectangle block of earth beneath them.

Ah. I'm going to demand a refund, I didn't get my block of dirt!

posted Hide Post
some helpful stuff here
https://www.google.com/#q=ask+...construction&tbm=vid

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

I would go with Arc's recommendation. The only thing I would add is to "Crown" the concrete so the water runs off.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I am the only person here that doesn't recommend Sonotubes since I have seen many failures withe them.

I suggest holes dug.to the proper depth. The dug out holes 16" round at top and 20" at the bottom. Fill hole with concrete. Install 8x8 sash into wet concrete and fill the middle with concrete. Install 12" anchor bolt in the middle leaving 3/4 of the threads exposed for the post bracket.

You will use more concrete this way by its more solid and looks better than sonotubes sticking out of the ground.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
I am the only person here that doesn't recommend Sonotubes since I have seen many failures withe them.

I suggest holes dug.to the proper depth. The dug out holes 16" round at top and 20" at the bottom. Fill hole with concrete. Install 8x8 sash into wet concrete and fill the middle with concrete. Install 12" anchor bolt in the middle leaving 3/4 of the threads exposed for the post bracket.

You will use more concrete this way by its more solid and looks better than sonotubes sticking out of the ground.

The 8x8 sash you speak of...is that a 8x8 concrete block? and then you put it into the poured concrete?

Why install a concrete block into a blob of concrete you just poured?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post