SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Music Awards ratings plunge 29 percent with politically charged show
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Music Awards ratings plunge 29 percent with politically charged show Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
These self-important clowns just keep shooting themselves in the foot. I'm glad to see that viewership is down so dramatically from last year! Please just keep shoving your political views down everyone's throats because politics is clearly why they tune into these shows. Stupid hurts.

The politically charged 2018 American Music Awards produced dismal viewership, setting an all-time low rating for the annual special.

According to Variety, Tuesday night’s “American Music Awards” on ABC earned a disappointing 1.8 rating among the key demo of adults age 18-49 with 6.5 million total viewers, according to the Hollywood trade publication. The total was down 25 percent compared to its 2.4 demo rating in 2017.

The show – which aired on a Tuesday as opposed to the typical Sunday -- dropped approximately 29 percent in total viewers after drawing 9.2 million last year, the outlet reports.

During the low-rated show, Taylor Swift – who recently broke her longtime political silence by slamming Republican Senate candidate Marsha Blackburn -- urged fans to vote in the upcoming midterm elections.

"This award and every single award given out tonight were voted on by the people," the 28-year-old popstar said while accepting the Artist of the Year award, Swift's third win of the night.

She continued: "And you know what else is voted on by the people is the midterm elections on Nov. 6. Get out and vote. I love you guys."

Comedian Billy Eichner called the upcoming midterms “the biggest election of our lifetime” and urged viewers to vote.

"Please grab your friends. Tell them to vote. If you believe in equality for women, for people of color, for the LGBTQ community. If you believe that climate change is real and that we need to do something about it, don't let anyone tell you your vote won't count," Eichner said.

On Sunday, Swift took to social media to declare her support for a pair of Democrats -- Senate candidate Phil Bredesen and Rep. Jim Cooper.

"As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I cannot support Marsha Blackburn," she told her 112 million Instagram followers. "Her voting record in Congress appalls and terrifies me."

Swift opened the American Music Awards with a performance and took home the coveted Artist of the Year award. Other big winners included Camila Cabello, Post Malone, Migos, Young Thug, Cardi B, Rihanna, Khalid, Florida Georgia Line, Carrie Underwood, Bruno Mars, Kane Brown and the late XXXTentacion.

https://www.foxnews.com/entert...tically-charged-show

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Glad to see them crash and burn - I give zero fucks what any of them think or feel about, well, anything.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
On Sunday, Swift took to social media to declare her support for a pair of Democrats -- Senate candidate Phil Bredesen and Rep. Jim Cooper.

"As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I cannot support Marsha Blackburn," she told her 112 million Instagram followers.

From what I've read, Swift's comments resulted in a bump for Blackburn Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

"As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I cannot support Marsha Blackburn," she told her 112 million Instagram followers.

The thing that fascinates me more than anything about this is, who on earth cares a wit what Taylor Swift thinks about any issue impacting this country? No celebrity factors into my voting decisions, and that's not likely to ever change.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
When I was 16, I cared about such things as music awards. I could not care less now.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Self gratifying jerk, you are Taylor Swift.
Recently she gave "free" tickets to one of her concerts to a police dept where an officer was killed.

Some money given to his family ? No, that wouldn't occur to you, you GD Airhead.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do they still put that on TV?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Taylor Swift just lost her core base of Fans, remember she was a lil ole country girl initially.
Why do people and businesses shut out 1/2 their customers by opening their fat mouths?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

The thing that fascinates me more than anything about this is, who on earth cares a wit what Taylor Swift thinks about any issue impacting this country? No celebrity factors into my voting decisions, and that's not likely to ever change.

No kidding. Fox the other day had her as the leading headline on their website over her monumentally insignificant comments concerning politics. Ridiculous.

Reporters had even asked President Trump what he thought of Swift's comments. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5738 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Taylor Swift just lost her core base of Fans, remember she was a lil ole country girl initially.

Didn't she drop a bomb on that bridge after her first album? Kinda like Pink: she did what the producers wanted, played the game, then after gaining financial security, went on to do 'their own creative thing'.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post