SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hearing held on use of Chicago gang database
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing held on use of Chicago gang database Login/Join 
posted
CHICAGO -- Chicago police say its gang database has been an effective tool to stop violence. A hearing was held Friday calling for more transparency in its use.

After testimony from activists and academics, law enforcement and legal experts, the senators say they have serious concern about the way data is being used in the fight against violent crime.

Illinois State Senator Patricia Van Pelt is concerned that the Chicago Police Department’s so-called “strategic subject list” and gang database both could be tools used for racial profiling.

“This is tearing at the fabric of the community,” she said. “89 percent of African-American men age 20-29 are on that list. That is outrageous. It seems like they’re making a determination at birth who should be on it and who should not.”

Van Pelt held a State Senate Public Health Committee hearing at Malcom X College to assess the impact on the city’s minority populations.

The list is an algorithm that takes a series of factors like previous arrests, gang affiliations and other public records. Then it produces a score.

“If you continue your criminal activity and continue to be involved in crime, it’s obvious that it’s going to increase the likelihood that you, yourself either might be an offender or victim in a future violent crime,” said Jonathan Lewin, Deputy Chief of Technology and Records.

Lewin spoke with WGN News about the list last year. He says the strategic subject score can predict a person’s likelihood to commit a crime.

“It’s basically zero up to what we call 500-plus.”

State Senator Mattie Hunter says the lack of transparency creates serious concerns.

“What are they doing with the data? How are they using the data? That’s what I’d like to know.”

Police say they don't target people based on race, religion, gender or geography. Police say they don’t use the information to until a crime has actually been committed.

“I don’t believe they’re using it after a crime is committed,” Van Pelt said. “It’s not something they’re using after the crime. It’s something they’re leading with.”

“It’s not about us targeting them for arrest, our goal is to get them out of that lifestyle so we don’t have to arrest them,” Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said.

After today’s hearing the ACLU of Illinois called for a more open system saying a statement:

“Such transparency would include, for example, proactively releasing the number of individuals

LINK: http://wgntv.com/2018/04/20/he...icago-gang-database/

Interesting. I wonder if the complainants have heard about Facebook and You Tube??

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
So keeping a list of violent gang-bangers is racial profiling? Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Portland had to stop making a list as well.

http://www.oregonlive.com/port...ond_list_to_tra.html

Which makes one wonder what the gang team will do.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Would keeping a list of mafia in the 30s be racial profiling

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
It's not the cops who are "making the choice of who goes on the list," it is the individuals who choose to participate in gang behavior.

So, assuming that this is what qualifies the list as racist, who, exactly, are the racists here?

Posts: 6474 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
"Criminal profiling" does not seem to register with the libs

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure who has the dumbest politicians. Illinois or California.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the demographic these people feel is over represented in the data should try reducing its likelihood to be involved in crimes.

That's my solution. It isn't racist to monitor people who commit crimes, nor is it racist to calculate the probability people convicted of crimes will commit additional crimes.

quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Would keeping a list of mafia in the 30s be racial profiling

Obviously not, since those were mostly white people.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Political Correctness is the downfall of America.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Look for them to start trying this with warrant databases too. A large percentage of the makeup of warrant databases are their constituents. I would not be a bit surprised if you don't start seeing calls to shut down NCIC and other information databases as well because of racial "tension", which is defined as whatever makes them money.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Political Correctness is the downfall of America.

Yeah. I am REALLY sick of it. Does not change a thing. I am hoping it will pass. I think the election indicated that a good portion of the American public feels that way.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:

It would be a tight race for sure. Maybe semantics, I might suggest it is more a lack of ethics than a lack of intelligence.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Look for them to start trying this with warrant databases too. A large percentage of the makeup of warrant databases are their constituents. I would not be a bit surprised if you don't start seeing calls to shut down NCIC and other information databases as well because of racial "tension", which is defined as whatever makes them money.

Good point and a real possibility

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

It would be a tight race for sure. Maybe semantics, I might suggest it is more a lack of ethics than a lack of intelligence.

You are probably right. They are doing exactly what they need to do to get/keep their constituients out of jail.

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've lived in both Cal and IL. They're competing to outdo each other. Frown

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Goodness forbid they go against the people who put them in office. Why should they allow it if it doesn't get them elected again? Another reason the left is sick.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
But keeping a list of gunowners is ok. e.g. registration of certain rifles etc.

And, keeping a list of CCW permit holders for those places without constitutional carry is somehow ok.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Means it was working so it's racist and should be stopped.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
And Chicago just keeps getting better. Rahm's voters are on the increase. The town just gets more just and peaceful. Oh, and watch out for muggings downtown and carjackings. While making society fairer, it's still a mild inconvenience to the deserving victims.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a well established feeling; numbers are racist.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post