SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inexpensive Vacation Ideas?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inexpensive Vacation Ideas? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Do you have a rough budget?

10 days off, I'd be willing to spend 1 day each travelling to and from. That means about 600 miles of driving each way or a flight to almost anywhere in the CONUS.

Not sure if there is anything you'd consider w/in 600 miles of driving distance.

Cheap flight, car and motel and you could consume 7 days easily in some of the national park areas in UT / AZ (or Wyoming/Montana). Hiking, biking, kayaking.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Is it just you, or would you be taking family? If it was just me, I'd buy a kayak, head to the Eastern shore of VA (Kiptopeke state park is a good spot) and do some fishing and lounging on the beach. Maybe head down to Norfolk and check out the USS Wisconsin for a day.

I would definitely get out of the DC area. I just got back from visiting my brother in Leesburg last weekend, and I can't see how people stand to live there all the time.

Posts: 8418 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up, we didn't have deep pockets so camping was our vacation: Nat'l Parks, State Parks Wilderness Areas.
I'm sure around your area there's some historic trails you can follow, both hike and by car: Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War. Perhaps some little-known or, secondary museums and parks that you can visit.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
The Appalachian Trail has been mentioned...
That's one that's on my short-list too...

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You’re in D.C., isn’t that a tourist place? You can do all the tourist stuff while not having to spend money for hotels and air flight.

I was raised in San Francisco and moved to a suburb. One time, we went to the city and did tourist stuff. Even took a city bus tour. My personal tour is better though but I learned it was.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
What do you enjoy doing?

I would take a few days and disappear into parts of Dolly Sods/Roaring Plans in WV. Of course, you need to enjoy backpacking and sleeping under the stars in a tent. Temps average about 10-15 degrees cooler than DC which is nice for summer camping.

I like this idea! A quick check into hotel in and around Davis, WV. show availability and good prices. And easy access to Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley, Dolly Sods, Seneca Rocks and more. Hmmm.

Thanks.

I've hiked all of those areas. Blackwater is nice but not a lot of trails. Definitely worth it if you're in the area. Dolly Sods really wins in views and solitude.

If you don't mind heights and want a little adventure. No climbing experience needed. https://www.nrocks.com/activities/via-ferrata/

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Do you like to camp or hike? You could go to Shenandoah or Great Smokey Mountains National Parks for a few days. Cheap. Beautiful.

^^^^^
Take a hike!

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com...19-waterfalls-in-va/

Cade's Cove is worth a visit. Drive and walk around it.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always thought it would be fun to take a motorcycle trip. Go as far west as I can before having to turn around to be back by the end of my allotted time. Having 10 days gives you a lot of options and you'd only be on the hook for gas, assuming you have a bike.

Para recently posted seeking suggestions for a trip by train. That sounded like something that would be interesting. Of course if you are a commuter, a train ride might be more of a hassle than a way to relax.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I like this idea! A quick check into hotel in and around Davis, WV. show availability and good prices. And easy access to Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley, Dolly Sods, Seneca Rocks and more. Hmmm.

Thanks.

Keep 'em coming folks.

Oh, as far as the D.C. sights are concerned, I've seen them all. Many times. Great museums, parks, architecture and landmarks. But not this time.

fpuhan--
We spent last weekend in Canaan Valley (at Black Bear resort -- you can rent a small house/chalet there). I think it's the best outdoors destination for anybody within 3-4 hours' drive. Of which you (and I) both are.

Other than the cost of the rental (which you could negate if you like camping), the area is pretty darn affordable. You could also go the AirBnB route for a place to stay.

We spent 1/2 day exploring and fishing the wildlife refuge area (off Cortland Rd.), and another 3/4 day hiking and fishing the lower end of Dolly Sods (Laneville Rd.). Meander up Camp 70 Road and explore that end of the wildlife refuge and Blackwater River. Hike some of the excellent trails within the state park resort property (they go from short and easy to long and difficult).

Canaan Valley always gets my vote. Good luck with wherever you choose!

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Take a day trip or two down to Richmond. Lots of fun stuff to do around town. Several museums, plenty of Civil War activities. You could also do Williamsburg or VA Beach.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Going to Taos, NM next month and hike my ass off in the Carson National Forest.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Check out the greenbrier valley area. Obviously the Greenbrier Resort is expensive but there are several other affordable options in that area and it's gorgeous with lots of outdoor activities and in the summer it's always about 10 degrees cooler there. There's the upcoming WV State Fair as well.
If you like golf you can sign up to be a volunteer at the Greenbrier Classic. It's cheap and gets you free entry with more access than a regular patron and depending upon how much you "work" (ie sit in a folding chair and hold a quiet please sign etc) they offer rewards like free nights at the resort and rounds of golf/spa treatments. I did it several years ago and had a blast. Several people volunteered that didn't care about golf but enjoyed the event otherwise due to the beauty of the area and the novelty.
Good luck and enjoy your time off!

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1893 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like 4 day work weeks all Summer long to me

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
If you were going to take a week to 10 days off with a limited budget in mind, what would you do?
In the past, I've done a combination of projects around the house and:
  • range day
  • fishing w/o guide
  • lunch with a friend and a movie
  • go on a hike
  • spend a day reading a book

Example 1 - you could unwind on day 1 with a day of reading a book, day 2 do projects around the house, day 3 (one of the bullets above), and then keep alternating between project days and one of the bullets above.

Example 2 - you could unwind on day 1 with a day of reading a book, and the rest of the days do projects in the morning and one of the bullets above in the afternoon/evening.

• when I was in another business, I had 4 weeks,

at least 2 were spent like the above,

in the DC area,, easy day trips or overnighters to a lot of historical places,

Fredricksburg, Rev war as well as WoNA,
    RVA,,
    pop over to the valley,
    take a couple and drive down the eastern shore then venture back up to NOVA,

if you drink, there are a metric shitton of wineries in VA,
    I would recommend a handful in the Charlottesville area (Barboursville, Delfosse, Pollack, Jefferson to start) and there are some good B&B's in the area as well,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Spread the Disease
    Picture of flesheatingvirus
    posted Hide Post
    Get house projects done. Clean. Knock things off of the to-do list.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of fpuhan
    posted Hide Post
    I really appreciate all the replies and suggestions! Here's an update on my particulars: I'm 66, hate fishing, have no camping supplies, sunburn way too easily, and have traveled extensively in and around the D.C. area (you get to be the "tour guide" when out-of-towners show up).

I was doing some researching into the West Virginia environs, per earlier messages in this thread. I found hotels with high ratings (but rather Spartan accommodations) running around $70/night. Wow!

A three-hour drive, about $350-$400 for lodging and maybe $150 for meals, another $50 for gas, and I'm well within my means (I haven't set a budget, but this is certainly do-able). I guess if I keep it to under $1K, I'm good.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Prefontaine
    posted Hide Post
    I do staycation most of the time. Like the dude said in Office Space....I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it would be. Find local things to do, stay away from rush hours. Films, museums, restaurants, etc, that you never have time for. I will hit the zoo, acquarium, maybe an musement park.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Delusions of Adequacy
    Picture of zoom6zoom
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I live in the D.C. suburbs, and I've thought of taking a "staycation"

There are so many historical sights within a two hour drive of us... and you wouldn't even need to stay overnight anywhere.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Too clever by half
    Picture of jigray3
    posted Hide Post
    Rent a houseboat at Smith Mountain Lake.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post